Tour of The Vanoise
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Tour of The Vanoise on 06/06/2013 16:22:24 MDT Print View

Tour of the Vanoise (Figure 8)
July 2012
Guidebook: Tour of The Vanosie, Kev Reynolds (Cicerone)
Map: Rando A3 Vanoise
Description: 150 km route often described in 11 day stages. Incorporates parts of the GR 5 and GR 55.
Time: 7 days. Included significant detours.
Note: This Walk is often compared to the TMB in terms of time and difficulty. I think Tour of the Vanoise is easier.

I used available shelter and food.

Impression: FANTASTIC Walk! Relatively EASY.

The photos below should be in chronological order.

Begin and end at the Modane train station. Several airports within 2 or so hours. I used Geneve.

For those who know the area, this was a detour...and a strenuous one.

The cutest refuge ever? Private refuge, not CAF. Room to myself.

Fresh Snow in July. Bitterly cold winds.

The path. The glaciers are receding.

The highest refuge on any GR route.

Circuit complete. The little church on the outskirts of Modane.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/08/2013 19:07:44 MDT.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Tour of the Vanoise on 06/06/2013 17:10:46 MDT Print View

Hartley Nice. I assume the gear used is the same as in your last trip report.

Hart -

Tour of The Vanoise on 06/06/2013 17:19:43 MDT Print View

David, I took a better camera! (Can't you tell...just kidding!) Panasonic Lumix LX5 (now in later iterations) with the $10 after market auto lens cap...makes it more or less a one handed camera. But pretty much the same stuff. I USED the Gore Tex socks (with my pants tucked in)...lots of walking on soggy glaciers and new snow. Yaktrax (nothing more!) would have been useful. Happy I didn't carry them, though. I used my rain jacket and pants a lot too.

I also took an Osprey Grab Bag on this trip. Clever...check it out. Left behind on GR 54 because I was expecting that route to have some challenges for which I would not want anything extra strapped or hanging off my body. I also took an even simpler camera on GR 54 this reason. As it turned out, no such situations existed on GR 54.

This walk is much nicer and much easier than GR 54!

I am adding more stuff now :)

I guess I really should post all my gear and weights (I have this info)...it is BPL...I'm afraid I'm too sensitive ;) But my pack was so small, I didn't feel it.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/06/2013 20:21:56 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Ok now you are just showing off.... on 06/06/2013 17:25:02 MDT Print View

Lovely pictures and looks like a wonderful trek.

Hart -

Tour of The Vanoise on 06/06/2013 17:52:41 MDT Print View

Thanks for the nice comments.

I will add some captions and more info later. This is not a very user friendly process. Or I haven't figured it out. I have newfound respect for those who have posted elaborate trip reports.

I will post elsewhere too so there is geotagging, maps, etc.

This is an AWESOME walk! It has everything.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Tour of the Vanoise on 06/07/2013 06:07:58 MDT Print View

Hartley,
Thanks for the info. I looked up the Osprey grab bag and bookmarked it. My wife is finishing up the Camino Santiago del Norte tomorrow. She is talking about more hiking in Europe for the two of us. I will keep this one in mind.

Dave

Hart -

Tour of the Vanoise on 06/07/2013 06:41:30 MDT Print View

Hi Dave:

Maroon Bells? Lucky you! Got the 4 pass loop in my sights! Recent big snows, yeah?

Camino del Norte? That's no slouch so I read!

A video from Osprey demo-ing the Grab Bag. Can be turned into an across the body shoulder bag (or waist pack -- not for me!) . Kept my camera, phone, passports, money, a very small sack of sunscreen, lip balm Hydropel (RIP), little multi tool, etc in there too. Fit nicely. Not a fan of the concept but this one seemed tolerable! I used it as an across the body shoulder bag traveling, etc...but I tend to travel in Crocs...so go figure ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78KXxebuwS0

I would rather have TWO decent size pockets on the hip belt of my pack. This seem to be a big ask!

Cheers,
H

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/08/2013 19:04:40 MDT.