Forum Index » GEAR » Ultralight Bowl?

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Ultralight Bowl on 06/09/2013 17:18:26 MDT Print View

Ken,

My thought about HDPE being food grade is that there are not plasticizers or residue of precursor chemicals (e.g. Bisphenol A (BPA) left behind in polycarbonate), etc used in HDPE production or molding. Nor am I not concerned about low-toxicity contents that are highly soluble (drain cleaner, alcohols, etc) because I wash all containers throughly . I wouldn't reuse a container that had held high-toxicity materials like pesticide.

But if you know of a formulation of HDPE that isn't food-grade, please post or send me a citation.

Rocco Speranza
(Mechrock)

Locale: Western NC Mtns
Re: Re: Ultralight Bowl on 06/10/2013 15:18:30 MDT Print View

Thanks John!

I'll probably stop past the store tonight since I forgot over the weekend.
That should put my bowl/Spoon at 1oz.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Takeaway soup bowl on 06/10/2013 23:57:36 MDT Print View

I've just been inspired to use one of those bowls the Asian takeaway places use down here to put soup in. They are about 1L, very light, somehow quite insulating (can pick up with hot soup in it) and come with a lid. Might post a pic next time I get one.

Corey Downing
(hardcorey) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
What about PP? on 06/11/2013 21:25:53 MDT Print View

I've been "collecting" #5 PP plastics from yogurt and sour cream containers, even made a cozy for the 16oz sour cream container. I assumed that since these containers are dishwasher safe and come with lightweight lids that I'm OK to use them but I'm open to enlightenment.