Forum Index » Gear Lists » Beating a dead wind pant horse

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: wind vs rain pants on 06/11/2013 16:15:08 MDT Print View

I'd take rain pants instead of wind pants.

I use shorts down to fairly low temps while moving. If its too cold for shorts it's about cold enough to wear rain pants comfortably (rab event pants). This leaves a very narrow range where wind pants would be of any value to me.

If you're putting wind pants on in the rain to stay warm doesn't that mean its cold enough that rain pants would be comfortable?

I find rain pants to be a much more useful clothing item and at a penalty of only a few ounces over what for me is a mostly useless item.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
wind pants in warm rain on 06/11/2013 17:21:53 MDT Print View

"If you're putting wind pants on in the rain to stay warm doesn't that mean its cold enough that rain pants would be comfortable?"

At that point, rain pants would have been too sweaty on the move, since it was warm, but the evaporation effects of wind + rain meant having wind pants was about the right speed--wind protection but better breathability. The wind pants wet out some, but I wasn't chilled from the wind. It was kind of an odd blend of temp + wet + wind. I had experienced hypothermia for the first time on that same trail under similar conditions a month or two earlier.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Beating a dead wind pant horse on 06/12/2013 04:02:00 MDT Print View

"The montane pants are not terribly water resistant.."

I think you need some form of adequate rain protection for your lower body. You may try swapping the Montane WP for rain pants to be used only in sustained, cold down pours. Since you have tights, you'll have a LW leg covering for when it's just cold.

Personally, my wind pants are very good in the rain and I don't bring tights or long underwear. I just have hiking shorts, a pair of running shorts and my wind pants.

If the weather is so bad that hiking is dangerous, just stop and set up camp and get in your shelter and bag.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Beating a dead wind pant horse on 06/12/2013 10:08:39 MDT Print View

I like wind pants but why do they only seem to come in black? Sometimes it would be nice to have them in tan or gray, anything to help make them less hot.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Beating a dead wind pant horse on 06/12/2013 17:43:07 MDT Print View

I love those Montane wind pants. Around here, with all my local hikes, they work great. My shorts/tights/wind pants combo is my favorite for anything above 40 ish, which is most of my season.

I just don't have enough experience (read: ANY) in the mountains to make those kinds of decisions for myself. So ill probably pick up a pair of uber light rain pants to take with me, and still do the tights/shorts bit. The tights make great sleeping pants, but can also be kept on in the am if it's too chilly to set off in shorts.

Thanks for humoring me. You guys rock.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Beating a dead wind pant horse on 06/12/2013 18:09:28 MDT Print View

Jen,

The Montane are really nice, I like they can be pit on over my size 14 trail runners.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Rain pants on 06/13/2013 12:57:57 MDT Print View

For lightweight rain pants, try the GoLite Tumalo rain pants. Have worked really well for me in PNW, not terribly expensive, less bulky but more sturdy than Frog Toggs, which might be the other go-to. The Tumalos are only about $10 more, though, and are comparable in price to Cabelas, which usually has pretty inexpensive rain gear.