Forum Index » GEAR » A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found! on 06/03/2013 22:29:16 MDT Print View

As long 'SUL' is pronounced 'Zool'

Oh, Amazon. I find I am much less likely to lose my blade if I stuff it up into the webbing between fingers and make a fist.

There is no Dana Designs, only Zool.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found! on 06/03/2013 22:42:17 MDT Print View

"However I for one will not be satisfied that this is the definitive JMT pencil without quantitative JMT field metrics - with controls of course."

---------------------

Now this sounds like a good idea for a BPL article. But who can do it? I can't. I get quantitative and qualitative mixed up all the time, so I am not qualified.

Maybe we can get Roger Caffin or Will Rietveld to do it. I especially like looking at Roger's pretty hexagons with the connecting lines and all the little C's and H's sprinkled about. Of course I don't understand most of it. If he would just say the GigaPower is one damn good stove (which I think it is based on personal experience), I would be happy with that conclusion.

Or maybe Richard Nisley could come up with something. I still can't figure out the CLO thingy. He could have just said the Fugu is the warmest freak'n jacket per ounce, which it seems to be in my humble experience.

I don't know if Dave Chenault could do it. He seems to lack some of the scientific methodology in his articles, which is probably why I like most of them. But I would really be more interested in what was in Ed Abbey's backpack, and I think Dave might know -- he just isn't sharing. One thing we can probably surmise about Abbey is that he was not a Blackwing 602 aficionado. In Desert Solitaire, he wrote:

----------------------------------------------------
"There was only one thing I could do. I had a tiny notebook in my hip pocket and a stub of a pencil. When these dried out, I could at least record my final thoughts. I would have plenty of time to write not only my epitaph but my own elegy."
----------------------------------------------------

We can't have Clelland! do it, because he would probably use the pencil as a toilet paper replacement.

Obviously Skukra can't do it, he doesn't even stop to pee... to save time he pees while walking.

Besides, if I even remember to take a camera on a backpacking trip, I usually forget to use it. How can I deal with testing a pencil?

Maybe we are taking this backpacking stuff too seriously? It is just walking, you know.

P.S. Apologies to Roger, Will, Dave, Mike, and Andrew. I do enjoy your writing.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found! on 06/03/2013 22:58:56 MDT Print View

Qualitative is like quality of life and that is subjective. Some. Quantitative is like a gross of pencils is a quantity of 144. A thing you can count.

I did read the other thread. I was late to it and figured there was no reason to reply there. Since this thread is active and you are still here, I will say I don't think a pencil will make a good tent stake.

It is likely to be driven successfully into only soft soil or snow but then the shape isn't really quite right for soft soil or snow.

I think the pencil could be a good tool. It shouldn't be used outside its design threshold. Pencils are good for scratching various bits. The ends are often used by people to help them think. 'Should I use the razor blade?', 'where's my rock', etc. They can be used to remove ear wax and make nice little splints. On the other hand, they make a poor weapon unless you can avoid any deflection. At all.

Edited by Tan68 on 06/03/2013 23:01:17 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found! on 06/03/2013 23:12:41 MDT Print View

"On the other hand, they make a poor weapon"

In the movie, The Dark Knight, a pencil was used to kill a bad guy. And didn't Jason Bourne kill an assassin with a pen? Seems a pencil could be substituted for a pen.

You're probably correct about using it as a tent stake.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Great Piece on the Pencil on 06/04/2013 08:38:10 MDT Print View

Thoroughly enjoyed your pencil musings. Good karma. Thanks

Derrick

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: A Pencil for the JMT -- Solution Found! on 06/04/2013 20:04:45 MDT Print View

As long as any multi-use functions do not nullify or reduce the pencil's ITPO they would be more than welcome.

What multi-use might nullify the ITPO you ask? Well, as Nick has already implied, never lend your trail pencil to Mike Clelland!

I'm thinking a titanium pencil might improve its multi-use potential as both tent stake and weapon.