Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » lifestyle choices

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing on 06/27/2013 07:40:44 MDT Print View

Thought I'd spread a little cheer here...

Gave my notice on Monday; so here it goes...the adventure begins!!! Last day of a "regular" job is July 26.

I've got a great family who is supporting my decision: a brother who makes enough money to not care if he has to deal with a mooching sister for a month or two, my hippy parents think it's cool, and my friends are envious.

I'm jumping off the treadmill. It's a bit scary, but exciting. And if only I can figure out how to do a blog (I have a phd in neuroscience, but can't manage a Wordpress blog theme...) maybe I can actually make this work.

Yeah!!!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing on 06/27/2013 08:20:00 MDT Print View

Good luck, yayyy

Maybe you should do the AT, PCT, JMT or something

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing on 06/27/2013 08:22:57 MDT Print View

Good luck and have fun.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
A midlife crisis can be a GREAT thing on 06/27/2013 08:37:15 MDT Print View

Congratulations, Jenifer! You'll have a time in your life that you'll never forget, nor regret. Please check in from time to time, so that we can live vicariously.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Congrats on 06/27/2013 09:27:42 MDT Print View

I've been talking to my wife about picking up a camper van and adopting a dirt bag lifestyle. She told me not to quit my day job.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing on 07/12/2013 16:35:17 MDT Print View

Bon voyage on the next chapter of your life!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing on 07/13/2013 12:13:19 MDT Print View

Jen, hope you have fun! If you ever need WP advice, shoot me an email :-) Be happy to help. It is pretty easy when you get the swing of it.

On the topic though....
Maybe I got it out of me early on. I wandered from my late teens through like early 30's before I found what I wanted. Growing up I never had roots. My Dad moved when bored. We never owned a house. It ate at my Mom so badly and profoundly affected her health - he was self employed and they never had good health care. So in my early adult years I found myself mimicking my Dad. Even after I had kid 1 at 24, I kept wandering. He just came along, him and I.

I met a guy who grounded me. He has helped me craft a life for myself. I have lived in a house we own for 9 years, the longest I have lived anywhere. Slowly I found myself wanting more. I built a garden. I painted. I added doors I wanted. I had 2 more boys. Does my mind wander to the days when it was just me and the oldest? Of driving away and being free? Yes it does. But then I realize I don't NEED that. I have a happiness with what I have now I hadn't had before.

When I watch Walker and Alistaire growing, I know my place in life is right. It isn't about reproducing, it is I wanted my 3 boys more than anything else. I have a brother and 2 cousins, born 2 years apart, same age as us. None of them have kids. We have all turned 40 and 42 now. Do they miss not having kids? Maybe and yes.

I still hike and backpack...but my burning desire to be out there all the time has dimmed. And that is OK. My garden calls to me...and so does picking berries to feed to my little ones, to teach them to love the land.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
My Pride on 07/13/2013 12:16:11 MDT Print View

photo Bridge_zpsa44adb91.jpg

Love all 3 of them. And yes, it is proof you can get out and have kids. It isn't easy, you never see wildlife, but it is still fulfilling.