Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG water filter - questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Pump on 06/18/2013 08:02:16 MDT Print View

MSR Hyperflow water filter has a pump. Intended application is water so maybe it would work better, have less contaminants,... 8 ounces but it includes a hollow tube filter and tubing.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Pump on 06/18/2013 13:42:48 MDT Print View

Maybe cannibalize a Coghlan's water filter?

Coghlans water filter

Edited by Lancem on 06/18/2013 13:43:25 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
MYOG water filter on 06/18/2013 16:45:08 MDT Print View

David,
Roger Caffin tried to steer me in this direction earlier in the thread. Your engineering background is apparent in some of your posts, and in one classic post, Roger laid out practically his whole C.V. for some guys who were suggesting he didn't know what he was talking about. I did check out the aquarium gear on Google and in some stores, including W-mart. However, not being an engineer, I am looking for a complete pump and don't want to tinker around trying to make one. Apologies to all who have posted about check valves and such attempting to help out.

The Heinz ketchup link is really interesting, however. Similar design to the Pennzoil one, but with all the hubbub about bisphenyls, using something sold for food products leaves me a little more comfortable about it. Will check it out.

Jerry,
What drove me to this project was my own experiences over a year apart with two Hyperflows, both returned, and reading about comparable experiences in reviews of the Hyperflow on REI. T'wer it otherwise, I'd just buy a Hyperflow and be done with it. Don't trust it, however.

Lance,
Thank you. Don't know how I missed Coghlan's, and on Amazon too, with multiple searches.
The pump on that one is also very similar to the others mentioned above. That page also led me to 4-5 identical looking ones on Amazon for a "soldier's" filter with different brand names attached, and totally different reviews. But they all seem to agree that it is a ceramic filter and pumps slow, which is what I already have.
But yes, cannibalizing one of the cheaper filters to get the pump might be the way to go.

Think I'll order one or two more of the inexpensive one from Amazon, then bite the bullet and order a Sawyer PointOne. Progress.

Edited by scfhome on 06/18/2013 16:47:56 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: MYOG water filter on 06/18/2013 17:01:20 MDT Print View

That's interesting about Hyperflow, MSR usually has pretty good products

I was thinking that you were re-inventing something that already exists but now I see your point

Okay, my next stupid suggestion is use a 1 liter soda bottle. 1.5 ounces. Maybe 1 ounce if you use a thinner water bottle. Then, just squeeze it. i.e. Sawyer Squeeze. This should be pretty reliable and foolproof.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

pump filters on 06/18/2013 17:26:02 MDT Print View

Jerry,
The reason for the heresy of the pump is to be able to pump water out of seeps and other very shallow sources, especially when wanting to camp at higher altitudes and dry areas like Cochetopa in CO where water is scarce. Also, having suffered Giardia twice, once for a long time, I don't like carrying 'contaminated' bags, bottles or whatever. With a pump, only the source end of the filter, the prefilter and the connecting tube are exposed to a potentially contaminated source, and those items should be easier to segregate somehow from everything else. Probably with a good flexible cap over the source end of the filter cartridge, and a durable separate WP bag for the prefilter and tube. Those are the reasons I'm not 'squeezing' with a Sawyer like most everyone else seems to be. There was a post about some folks on the river in the Frank Church wilderness who got sick just because a water container was allowed to float on the river for a bit. That did it.

Edited by scfhome on 06/18/2013 17:27:50 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

UPDATE - News good and bad on 06/26/2013 00:13:04 MDT Print View

Decided on the Pennzoil fluid transfer pump because it is ruggeder than the Heinz, the handle can be screwed down to shorten the pump to minimal size for storage, and weighs only 0.6 oz. more than the Heinz.

Obtained a Sawyer "PointOne" filter unit, and it works OK with the Pennzoil fluid transfer pump. The set up was juryrigged, and so was leaky, but with some care could be easily tightened up, reducing the weight of tubing to a minimum, and increasing the flow rate. The flow is not quite so fast with the filter attached, but still faster and easier to pump than a Sweetwater, and at least as fast as a Katadyn (Pur) Hiker.

But the weight - there's the rub. Unfortunately, the many who tout the weight of the PointOne filter at around 2 1/2 ounces, neglect to state whether that is wet or dry. When in use while trekking, the weight will be wet. I found that the wet unit with all excess water blown out of it came in at over 3 1/2 ounces, making it substantially heavier than the pump. Without blowing out the excess water, the weight was up around 4 ounces.

My best estimate is 3 1/2 to 4 ounces, plus the pump, prefilter, and hoses will bring the weight up to at least 8 ounces or more, and that's not counting a WP carry bag with compartment to keep the parts separate, a syringe or squeeze bag said to be needed to backflush the PointOne once a week or so, and misc. repair parts.

The Sweetwater Walk-A-Bout is around 12 ounces and 14 ounces in a sturdy bag with cleaning brush and float. But I've found it to be totally reliable and clogging has never been a problem. Just brush it out, rinse, and it's ready to go. Eventually, the cartridge has to be replaced, but I've never had to. After a number of years, I did so just to be on the safe side. The Katadyn (Pur)Hiker pumps easier and faster, and weighs a couple more ounces. I've not used one for any length of time, so don't know about clogging issues with it.

With all the failure-related issues I've read about on this and other sites about the PointOne, this project doesn't seem worth pursuing at this point. Will stick with the Sweetwater until the industry comes out with something at least as reliable, and significantly lighter. Sorry this thread has not ended well. But that's all folks.

Edited by scfhome on 06/26/2013 00:16:18 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: UPDATE - News good and bad on 06/26/2013 07:51:19 MDT Print View

I used a Katadyn (Pur) filter for years. The plastic finally cracked and started leaking at the body of the pump, where it's at highest pressure, but the failure was gradual.

I got a new one and used it a couple years before switching over to Sawyer Squeeze.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: UPDATE - News good and bad on 06/26/2013 14:07:13 MDT Print View

I wanted to see how a syring pump would work. So I got a 50ml syrings, two check valves, a tee fitting, and a luer lock to hose barb adaptor to connect it to the syring. The syring by itself is 1oz. Connecdting it all together with a little bit of hose pushed it ot about 1.75oz. However that weight does not include the filter and hose to the filter or any way to attach the filter to your water storage container. It also doesn't include a hose to the water source or a prefilter (which some might consider optional). Adding those items will probably push it to about 4oz.

Now I could save some weight by going to 30ml syring and using 1/32" side wall tubing instead of the 1/16" side wall tubing I used. It might also be possible to find lighter check valves and fittings. Even with those changes i cannot see this getting below 7oz for a complete setup with a we sawye filter. That is close to the weight of the MSR hyperflow.

In testing the syring worked well and without a filter I can pump 1 quart in about 1.5 minutes. The main item slowing me down is the small opening at the end of the syring. I tried drilling it out but ended up drilling off the male part ot the syring luer lock fitting. The threads were still there but that caused air and water leaks. I tried silicone rubber to seal the leak and that worked for a little bit but then failed. Flow rate did inprove though. The 50ml syring looks to be much more durable than any other smaller syring that I have used in the past.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Holes in syringes on 07/01/2013 19:16:26 MDT Print View

Was going to use Scotch "Stretchy" Tape wrapped around the tube. Tape is hard to find in stores, but available on line.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Made me think of this thread ... on 07/09/2013 17:06:20 MDT Print View

Bulb pump

A coin and a film tube ... made me think of this thread.