Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What's your light or UL internal FRAMED pack?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Omission, SORRY! on 06/11/2013 19:21:49 MDT Print View

Sorry guys - I forgot to say that I do NOT want a Cuben pack. Don't like the look or feel of the stuff.

After looking over all the suggested packs here I'd say that the Osprey EXOS 58 is the heaviest I'd buy. I'd get it for the comfort IF it fit me.

Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Osprey Exos on 06/11/2013 22:16:03 MDT Print View

Eric,

I have the Osprey Exos 46, and i think it's great. The back panel is the best feature. For me, it means a very comfortable fit against my back, and a pretty dry back. I would not want to use a Exos 58, as i believe the hipbelt wouldn't be beefy enough for the mass of gear the pack can digest.

I've used my 46 comfortably up to 16kg. If i were going to haul around +16kg a lot, i would not use this pack.

FWIW, i think the perfect pack doesn't exist premade.

Good luck!

Edited by prse on 06/11/2013 22:16:57 MDT.

Mobius Vortex
(MobiusVortex)
Kalais on 06/11/2013 23:00:18 MDT Print View

The Elemental Horizons Kalais is by far the best pack I have ever used. Its not a true internal framed pack as the frame is removable. With the frame in, the load transfer to the hips is excellent and the hip belt is very comfortable. Have used it several times this spring on desert trips. When I stopped and loaded up on 4L of water, I noticed the additional weight when lifting the pack, but did not notice the extra weight once the pack was strapped back on my back. I don't think I have had a load as heavy as 32 lbs but probably was close on one cold trip when loaded with water.

Edited by MobiusVortex on 06/11/2013 23:01:08 MDT.

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
exos and catalyst on 06/11/2013 23:25:24 MDT Print View

My wife and i run the Osprey Exos 46. For heavier loads, I use my ULA Catalyst.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Omission, SORRY! on 06/13/2013 02:14:09 MDT Print View

"Sorry guys - I forgot to say that I do NOT want a Cuben pack. Don't like the look or feel of the stuff"

Just FYI in case you didn't know already the hybrid cuben used by hmg and zpacks looks like woven polyester not traditional cuben.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Go Go Gorilla! on 06/13/2013 05:41:16 MDT Print View

I am a big fan of Gossamer Gear's packs. The Gorilla so far is my favorite, but I'm carrying my new ULA circuit on every trip this year to make sure my shoulder/arm problems don't crop up with it. I've not tried the gorilla with more than 20 pounds or so, but I can't imagine it carries very well with more than 25-27 or so. The hip belts are about perfect in terms of beefiness...although I do admit that I miss the mesh of the osprey exos I used to have. It was very nice....

Chris C
(cvcass) - MLife

Locale: State of Jefferson
new pack on 06/13/2013 07:40:38 MDT Print View

I just picked up a MountainSmith Haze 50 and so far I am impressed with it. It is very well constructed and the hip belt is extremely comfortable. It may not be the lightest or the fanciest materials but it looks like it will be durable.

It also weighs in at a full pound lighter then my ULA Catalyst with more internal capacity. It was also $150.00 less.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Mea Culpa on 06/23/2013 15:37:23 MDT Print View

"Normally, I wouldn't post anything on this forum until it had been used enough to evaluate, and then only if it worked well."

Famous last words. After replacing the hipbelt tightening system with the pulley type used by Osprey, loaded up the Bean's AT55 with about 15 lbs, 18 lbs including the pack, well distributed, and discovered that pack has a tendency to slip down, right behind the small of the back. With the Osprey system, the belt can be severely tightened, so did so, and found that to stabilize the pack, the belt has to be tightened so much it gives whole new meaning to the word, "squeeze."

So, back to the MYOG pack also mentioned in the earlier post that uses one of the old Osprey heat moldable hipbelts. The belt is a little on the heavy side, but it locks the pack onto my back with no slippage. A few small repairs and the pack is ready to go again.

May try sewing a high friction lumbar pad onto the AT55 to see if that eliminates the slipping, but later for that.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on MYOG, but the earlier post was on this thread, so this one is also.

Edited by scfhome on 06/23/2013 16:00:10 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
What's your light or UL internal FRAMED pack? on 06/23/2013 16:38:48 MDT Print View

I kept my Granite Gear Vapor Trail (the older model, before any changes) just for this reason. Alas, it sits sadly in the garage waiting, waiting.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: What's your light or UL internal FRAMED pack? on 06/23/2013 21:03:39 MDT Print View

McHale LBP 36
79L with roll top extended. Otherwise 59L. Weight depends upon which options I include on a trip. Weight goes from just under 3 lbs up to 4 lbs 9.5 ounces with all options including the P&G frame extensions and by-pass harness. It can comfortably carry as much stuff as you can fill it up with. Full Dyneema, so it is virtually indestructible.

McHale Bump 32
49L with roll top extended. Otherwise 33L. On most trips it weighs less than 3 lbs. If I add all the options it is 3 lbs 5 oz. Made from 3/16" Dyneema X-grid. Bottom, staps, and hip belt made from full spectra. Most I have ever carried was 35+ pounds, which was no challenge for the pack.

Both packs were custom made, meaning they were built to fit my body exactly.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Lumbar / sacral pack slippage on 06/23/2013 21:59:22 MDT Print View

Interesting observation. I'm having the same issue with the UL packs I've tried out so far at home (GG Gorilla, etc.). The main problem for me is that the bottom of the pack ends up resting on my spine just below the small of my back. Not comfortable. I just posted a description of this, with pics of my wearing my Z55, on my "Sub-2 lbs pack" thread just a few lines up (well, I suppose now it's down?).

Nick,

Your post on the McHale line of packs is rather serendipitous. I was just browsing McHale's website today, thinking about whether a custom pack would solve my fit and low back comfort issues.

Do you know if McHale makes truly UL packs? I mean, could he make me something that is just as well designed with a suppportive frame with a total weight of around 2.0 lbs?

Edited by dgposton on 06/23/2013 22:01:56 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Lumbar / sacral pack slippages on 06/23/2013 22:23:32 MDT Print View

Probably closer to 3 lbs. The extra pound for a perfectly fitted pack is worth it. Plus they don't fall apart in a few years. Click on the link in my profile and there are reviews of both packs.