Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » EXODUS sandals....who's in?

Display Avatars Sort By:
BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Sweet Exodus on 06/12/2013 09:31:14 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I received my XOs in the mail this morning. #5 Yay!
Out of the packaging, 8.8oz total, 4.4oz each (I usually wear size 10.5-11 shoes). The fit is very good and REALLY comfortable (well ok in the first 30 minutes I've been wearing and walking around in them). Took a few minutes to get the straps adjusted comfortably tight, but that is expected.

Looking forward to continued use! Thanks!

XOs

The picture makes it look like the footbed is quite a bit longer than my toes. A trick of the angle to some degree, and the edges are upswept and the light does not capture that. I think they are the perfect size. And, admittedly, I have F'ed up 4th and 5th toes...

Nice amount of extra webbing to make adjustments. I will probably trim that down somewhat once I have the fit dialed in.

Edited by BER on 06/12/2013 09:48:20 MDT.

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Sweet Exodus on 06/12/2013 09:56:58 MDT Print View

@Brian - glad to hear it! And excited that you are excited...thanks for posting some feedback and a photo!

Keep us posted!

Ryan

P.S. hopefully this is last time I say this but Twitter fixed out account so we are live again at twitter.com/exodussandals

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Update... on 06/13/2013 06:33:25 MDT Print View

@EXODUSsandals via Twitter

"@EXODUSsandals: Four pairs of #XOs going out the door this morning. Steven Maul, Craig & Glenda, @baydencline ... these are for you! http://t.co/QI6C8NywEg"

Like I mentioned before folks, please let me know if there is anything you dislike about them...

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Update... on 06/17/2013 13:41:56 MDT Print View

‏@EXODUSco via Twitter

"Erik + Emily, Tim + Noelle + Lily, Jared R & Richard C - your #EXODUSsandals are in the mail! You'll be XO'ing before you know it! #stepout"

More sandals shipped today. Seven pair. We were able to get 10 pair finished this weekend, but I am trying to track down a few addresses.

Thanks,
Ryan

Edited by lifegearguy on 06/17/2013 13:42:35 MDT.

E P
(brawee)
Re: Re: Update... on 06/20/2013 00:39:39 MDT Print View

We received our sandals today and are very pleased. After a few minutes of fooling around with the straps, they are incredibly comfy and attach securely to the foot. The foliage color seems like it will go with anything. Bravo to Ryan!

Edited by brawee on 06/20/2013 00:40:18 MDT.

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Update... on 06/20/2013 06:24:22 MDT Print View

@Erik - so glad to hear it! Thanks for the feedback... when you get a chance, share your experience and photos from the trip (via here, twitter or exodussandals.com/ submit).

@All - I am planning on putting together a tutorial on how to adjust but hopefully this is a good reference point...

1. Start at the toe loop and adjust the squeeze to your liking (may need to adjust off the foot and then slip it on, that hole is purposely as tight as I could get it to ensure no slippage during active pursuits)

2. Once XO toe lock is set, work your way across the front strap and then to the main cross strap which leads to the side buckle near the inside of the foot. I prefer to leave this cross strap a bit loose (i.e. one or two fingers room between the strap and the top of your foot). This will allow the cross strap to pull to the outside a bit during the final tightening step. Also, note that if this strap is too tight, your foot will typically be pushed to the back of the sandal.

3. To adjust the strapping that runs through the side buckles, including the heel strap, remove the sandal and slide the side buckles up, or away from the footbed. This will provide some space & strapping between the buckle and the rubber, which will allow for adjustment

4. Once the heel strap is adjusted to your liking and double checking the cross strap, simply slide the buckles back down toward the sandal to lock in your adjustments.

5. Pull the extra strapping coming from the buckle on the outside of the foot, tighten the top buckle to your liking and voila!

Hopefully this helps. I have found that once this is done, you can actually slide the sandal off and on by just dropping the heel strap rather than loosening and tightening every time.

Thanks!
Ryan

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Update... on 06/20/2013 08:35:53 MDT Print View

Wow, some how I missed this entire thread after following your original one with great interest. Is it too late to get a pair?

Thanks,
Adam

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
EXODUS sandals... glad I'm in! on 06/20/2013 11:21:23 MDT Print View

My foot size is 11 Wide, with a 44 (EU sized) fitting as well. Size of the foot bed that I traced out for Ryan is 11 7/8" X 4 3/4", 210 grams for the pair. When I opened the package my first impressions were that the Foliage color of the straps is perfect, and is my foot REALLY that big?
I initially had the strapping too tight but found the perfect fit. Ryan, your fitting instructions are spot on. The foot bed conforms to your foot as you wear them so the feel is much more light and secure that any sandal that I have tried.
I'm using these for running on grass, crushed rock, dirt, mud or wood chip trails, so far up to two miles per day with no slips or dreaded flip flop blowouts/skinned up toes.
Very pleased with the product and service! My running partner is happy too but then I'll never run as fast or as far as Maggie.XO's & Maggie

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: EXODUS sandals... glad I'm in! on 06/20/2013 11:36:27 MDT Print View

Thanks for the great feedback, Steven...and glad the directions on fit helped out.

I updated the XO site to reflect that for now...hopefully it helps. Email me some photos and I can throw them up on the site!

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
thank you! on 07/08/2013 20:33:27 MDT Print View

Hi again, everyone...

just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone again for all of the support and positive experience getting the initial run of XOs completed. I am sure many are just getting back from the holiday or some are still on vacation (as I am) but I am hoping to get some more feedback from those who have some EXODUS sandals on their feet.

I am working on a solution to add to the XO site for purchasing in the future and hoping to have something up on the site within the next week. Then, I will start following up with those who expressed interest.

So with that, I kindly ask to please continue with the feedback, the good, bad and ugly as I would really appreciate knowing how everyone and their XOs are faring.

Thanks again,
Ryan

@EXODUSsandals

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: thank you! on 07/08/2013 21:11:31 MDT Print View

Mine are working great. I've been using them while surf fishing on San Diego area beaches. They have handled the steep trail down from the Torrey Pines Gliderport trail much better than I expected. No slipping at all. The fit is comfortable and the traction they provide is great. I had the heel straps too loose at first and the outgoing wave surge wanted to pull the heel strap off of my heel. I went thru the strap adjustment instructions and now have a very secure strap setup that is stable both on the trail and in the moving water of the surf zone. Best sandals I found yet for walking in ankle deep surf on sandy beaches. Thanks again for a neat custom sandal.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 07/09/2013 14:16:30 MDT Print View

Just a note to say that I am very pleased with my Exodus sandals. Excellent fit, feel, and functionality. These sandals are exactly what I have been looking for for a long time. I thought of making a pair similar in design but I know my end product would have been nothing compared to Ryan's excellent choice of materials and workmanship. Looking forward to using them and seeing what kind of mileage/time I get from them. Thanks, Ryan! --Mike

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
XO in Oz on 07/10/2013 06:38:00 MDT Print View

My XOs have arrived! My only complaint so far is that it's winter here so I can't really wear them outside at the moment.

But I love the design - it's ingenious - secure on the foot without slipping strap issues I've had with other minimalist designs. I find the toe strap much more comfortable than huaraches, and also more comfortable than Teva Zilch. Colour is good too.

We'll be flying into a European summer in a few weeks, and the XOs are on the packing list - great opportunity to give them a good workout!

Thanks heaps for a really well designed and versatile sandal!

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: thank you! on 07/10/2013 08:46:03 MDT Print View

I hope to have a small review up by the end of the week. I've been pretty pleased so far!

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
exodus sandals: short term review on 07/11/2013 13:08:46 MDT Print View

Review here.

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
You guys (& gal) rock! on 07/11/2013 15:41:30 MDT Print View

@Richard - thank you for the kind words and glad they are working in the surf! Let me know if you run into any issues.

@Karen - thanks for the confirmation and can't wait to hear about how they work on your trip.

@Spelt - thank you very much for taking the time to write such an honest in depth review. I think you are being quite modest ;) but need the constructive criticism! I am indeed already planning a thicker sole option and will likely be getting materials very soon for testing. Regarding the water testing on the pack raft trip ( which sounds super sweet BTW), I may be able to help you and will follow-up via email. I made myself a pair of XO Amphibs just prior to my trip up north and have been swapping between the two pair...smaller cut footbed and minimal stretch tubular poly have made a huge difference. We can chat.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: exodus sandals: short term review on 07/13/2013 18:34:01 MDT Print View

Ok. I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I have to say I simply adore these shoes! I am uber picky about my footwear; I have very high arches, narrow and stiff feet and I generally have a difficult time finding shoes that I enjoy wearing. I was intrigued by these because of their similarity to Chacos, which work very well for my feet but good lord they're heavy.

My major criticism would be that it took quite a while to actually adjust them to my feet properly. I tried following the directions, but my heels are so narrow that I found I just kept sliding around without enough purchase. But I kept at it and with pretty much constant tweaking over the past few weeks I can now say I have the perfect sandal!

I actually took them with me on a 5-day trip through the porcupine mountains in the UP of MI over July 4th...the first time in more than 2 years I took "camp" shoes. And I will probably throw them into my pack for the JMT as well simply because I like them so much and don't want to go three weeks without wearing them!

Anyway, great job Ryan! My mom wants a pair now, so when you're ready for more orders let me know :)

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Mini review on 07/14/2013 22:45:27 MDT Print View

First of all, thank you to Ryan for making such a quality product at a great price. The workmanship, his website, even the tag that came with the sandals--all are top notch and really show a flair for business/service.

After getting the sandals in the mail I got them adjusted and wore them around a bit, but due to holidays/traveling my first chance to get the sandals outside wasn't until today. I took them on the dirty/rocky trail that is the approach to a local crag, with a tad of class 2-3.

On the way up they felt great, secure, and the subtle upturned edges really helped keep the edges from catching. On the way down however they felt significantly sloppier, and my feet were shifting forward off the heel strap (but not out). I need to tighten them up a bit I guess!

So, nothing but praise for the quality of the product, but I still need to do a bit of work to get the fit dialed in. I will update again when I get a chance.

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Re: exodus sandals: short term review on 07/15/2013 06:37:30 MDT Print View

@Jennifer - Wow! Thank you for the feedback! I would have to agree that from the limited feedback I have received, adjustment seems to be difficult. I will try to work on a better tutorial with photos or even video to try and help. I tried several different buckle designs and sewn loops before this design and determined on a lot of wear that although somewhat difficult to dial in once fitted it shouldn't move. Thanks again and glad to hear you are enjoying them!

@Brad - thanks for the feedback! Sorry they didn't work well on the way down...let me know if you have difficulty adjusting them and I can walk you though it over the phone or via email or text (exodussandals.com/submit for contact info)

Thanks BPLers...keep it comin'...

Ryan

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
order page is live! on 07/15/2013 06:44:27 MDT Print View

Hello all!

I am happy to announce to all who have been waiting patiently that the beta build is over and the order age on our site is now live!

Now, in order to keep things simple and as possible, I decided to adapt the current site accept orders. There are several reasons but two main points : 1) I want to keep the focus on the photos and eventually your photos and experience in the sandals and this platform is simply the best way to do that IMHO, the site sort of gets out of the way and let's the media be the focus. 2) I am not a programmer. Everything on the site has been designed by me but mostly by slowly making my way through it until I get it to where I'm satisfied.

So with that, here it is:

http://exodussandals.com/store

PLEASE let me know if things work well or not, I tested it but want to make sure it isn't painful for those who order. And on the site, there is now a contact page with phone, text and email as well!

Thanks again and let us know if there are any questions!

Thanks,
Ryan