Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » EXODUS sandals....who's in?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Exodus sandals on 06/01/2013 05:16:23 MDT Print View

@Samuel - after re-reading your question/post, I wanted to add some clarity.

The rubber I am currently using is the 6mm gumlite material from Vibram. This is what they call an expanded rubber but is essentially a mix of rubber & neoprene (hence the reason you get a slight impression under your foot after wearing them a while, it's like you get a pair of custom custom sandals, lol).

However, I have been in contact with Vibram direct trying to figure out some other options for R&D purposes as well, just trying to continually improve the original. I have another material on order that should be in next week, enough for a pair or two, but am also working with Vibram to see what they recommend. The important thing for me and the sandals is that I need a compound that I can heat and mold. I prefer the sandals to be hand-molded around the edges and under the arch to keep the sandal right under your foot and also help prevent the walking-in-tall-grass-front-of-the-sandle-rolls-under-foot syndrome others have complained about. So far, with the molded footbeds it has worked out really well for me.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks,
Ryan

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Yes please on 06/01/2013 10:59:27 MDT Print View

Count me in!!!

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
sandals on 06/01/2013 16:19:54 MDT Print View

Ryan,
Four oz per sandal in men's size 11 is certanly better than the 5 plus for the EVA, which is not a very durable material either.

My only concern is the rolling you mentioned, especially if the toe loop is omitted.
Maybe a second small buckle would help if there were no toe loop. When crossing streams, it is essential that the sandal remain in place against forces generated by sucking mud and angular sharp rocky surfaces; otherwise yours truly is going for a mightly cold swim, pack and all. Since I have two Shelties, and also carry one dog under one arm for two of the five crossings needed to get everything to the other side, I'm very big on the swim not happening. LOL.

Really like the arrangement you have for retaining the heel and ankle.

Edited by scfhome on 06/01/2013 16:24:47 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/01/2013 16:38:42 MDT Print View

I'm definitely in.

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 06/01/2013 17:30:01 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/08/2013 18:51:47 MDT.

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: 2 pair please on 06/01/2013 21:03:56 MDT Print View

@Daniel & all - Thanks all for the kind words and the interest. I am super excited to start ordering materials next week and getting started once they come in.

@BER - just re-read the posts to make sure I am not missing anything and saw your note about timing so wanted to shed some light. My plan is to place the orders for all of the materials on Tuesday (after receiving funds from BPLers Monday/Tuesday via PayPal). I would expect based on previous experience that the materials would be in by Tuesday the following week (puts us around 6/4/2013). Once I receive them, I will get started making as many pair as I can as my second job during the evenings, and working around my kids t-ball games, lol (I work as an engineer during the day).

I am hoping to get them out as soon as possible once everything is in, especially for these initial builds so that I can get some good, constructive feedback ASAP and continue to improve the design as needed.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/01/2013 21:08:17 MDT Print View

by the way...the sizing information/tutorial is now live on the XO site here:

http://exodussandals.com/sizing

...hopefully it is clear enough and works out well, if not we can improvise.

Hopefully I can get a better set of hands and feet in the future (i.e. my wife's), but for now mine will have to do. Sorry in advance...spent 3 hours cleaning up a fallen pine tree in our backyard before taking the photos today....but did it all in the XO's :).

Take care,
Ryan

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/02/2013 10:34:13 MDT Print View

My wife and I want in too.

I've been thinking on this for some time and am very intrigued by your take on it, gotta try it out.

-Tim

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Exodus on 06/02/2013 11:19:12 MDT Print View

Scan of foot tracing and PP sent.

Also sent a question regarding placement of the small toe strap. In your instructions it shows the strap placement right over the 5th MTP joint where many people have a bit of a bulge. Does it rub there? Would it be OK to have that strap back behind the MTP joint? Or be less secure?

bayden cline
(pyro_) - F
Email sent on 06/02/2013 12:12:21 MDT Print View

I am in. Sent an email with a couple of questions

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Re: EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/02/2013 21:17:46 MDT Print View

@Tim - Thanks. Would be glad to make a pair for your and your wife. Just make sure to provide some feedback so I know what I am doing wrong or right ;).

@Ber - I sent some answers and hopefully it helps. But to clarify, I will drop the strap on the outer side of the foot near the last toe south a bit to get it away from that area, and to get it a little closer to the side pad of the foot. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Samuel - your earlier question regarding losing the toe loop = no go. Tried it today and can definitely confirm that the from of the sandal wants to flop way too much without that XO toe lock. If you send me a pair of your socks I can find a seamstress to cut and sew the big toe for you if you are interested ;).

@All - my paypal address is ryanfrench1 [at] gmail [dot] com. Can't wait to get all the supplies ordered and get moving on these. I am anticipating some wonderful feedback from everyone and really and curious more than anything if everyone will enjoy them as much as I do. Once you send the payment via paypal, please email me the tracing as well so that I can add you to the spreadsheet!

Thanks,
Ryan

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/03/2013 06:51:30 MDT Print View

If its not too late I want in!! Looks great!

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: EXODUS sandals....who's in? on 06/03/2013 07:02:05 MDT Print View

@Jen - it's not too late! For this first run, I wanted to make sure I knew what needed to be ordered and how many pairs I will be making so that I can give accurate production times. Thanks for the interest.

For those jumping in, here's a quick overview/reminder...

1. $35 includes CONUS shipping, any other location I will try to accommodate by adding the delta on the shipping to get them to you (please add 3% if not using PayPal gift option)

2. Send money via PayPal, ryanfrench1 [at] gmail [dot] com by tonight so that I can add your name to the log

3. Go to http://exodussandals.com/sizing for directions on how to trace your largest foot, what information to include on the tracing and scan/ take a clear photo and send to exodussandals [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks again everyone for the positive support!

Ryan

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Strap colors on 06/03/2013 07:41:58 MDT Print View

alright guys and gals, at my wife's direction, we will let you choose the color of your straps for this initial build. So here are the color options...

standard color = foliage
foliage strap color
(link on XO site - http://goo.gl/9Yfti)

red, black, white, olive (OD) & gold
strap colors minus foliage
(link on XO site - http://goo.gl/gqeIC)

So you can get any of these color straps on your XO's. One thing to note is, if you are interested in a completely hyrdophobic sandal, choose the white straps and get yourself a pair of XO amphibs. The white is tubular polyester (instead of the tubular nylon for all of the other colors)so it will not absorb water like the nylon.

My personal preference is the foliage, my $0.02...

Thanks!
Ryan

Edited by lifegearguy on 06/03/2013 07:43:35 MDT.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
Payment sent -- !! on 06/03/2013 08:32:23 MDT Print View

Canoe trip down the Shenandoah River once we get these ...

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: Payment sent -- !! on 06/03/2013 09:16:01 MDT Print View

Thanks, Tracy... Got it!

That sounds almost as fun as a canoe trip on The Tahquamenon River ;)...

Ryan

mark cole
(marklivia)
sandals on 06/03/2013 09:26:10 MDT Print View

I'm in for a pair.

Chris Bowman
(jcbowman) - M

Locale: ORF
im in on 06/03/2013 09:37:34 MDT Print View

I'll take a pair.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Color on 06/03/2013 09:59:14 MDT Print View

Ryan, the foliage would be fine for my sandals.
Looking forward to the finished product!

Ryan French
(lifegearguy) - M
Re: im in on 06/03/2013 11:58:32 MDT Print View

@Chris - thanks!

@Stephen - thanks for the update. once the tracings and paypal come through I will add everything to my log. I think you will really like this color as I haven't found anything (jeans, patagonia baggies, river water, Lake Erie & Superior water, mud, sand) that this color doesn't match up well with ;).

Already order the buckles based on the number of people that said they were in (with some extras). Will wait to see whose PayPal payments I have in at the end of tonight to order the Vibram rubber, since it get's pretty expensive. Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Ryan