Forum Index » GEAR » Rain Jacket with Snaps?

Display Avatars Sort By:
J M
(Hmr3D) - F
Rain Jacket with Snaps? on 05/31/2013 02:36:12 MDT Print View

I'm getting tired of my dreads getting caught in my zippers.

Has anyone come across some decent rain gear that doesn't use zippers or velcro?

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
"Rain Jacket with Snaps?" on 05/31/2013 02:54:35 MDT Print View

Berghaus make one with a toggle system.

J M
(Hmr3D) - F
nt on 05/31/2013 03:28:01 MDT Print View

I did not see it in their current lineup. Perhaps I'll contact them if I'm unable to track it down. Thanks, and any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

"Rain Jacket with Snaps?" on 05/31/2013 08:29:44 MDT Print View

Yeah bummer, I can't find it either. Unless I've got the brand wrong? It came out a couple of years ago, I think was either Gore Tex Pro or Event, was a blue colour. Reviewers either loved or hated the system. I think you had to roll the fabric together, then toggle it somehow. The idea was that it was potentially a better seal than a zip, and impossible to fail (eg at 8000m+ on K2). They may have scrapped it because it was just too radical for most people, but I liked the general idea myself.

How long are your dreads? You could always try and find a jacket with snaps near the top, such as for the draft flap, and then just zip it 3/4 of the way most of the time. I often just use a couple of draft flap snaps instead of the zip if I don't need quite full coverage.

Jim Jessop
(StokeyJim) - MLife
Rain jacket with snaps on 05/31/2013 08:50:21 MDT Print View

Adam may have been thinking of the Spektr smock from Montane:

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/spektr-smock

J M
(Hmr3D) - F
nt on 05/31/2013 19:15:27 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies. My hair is about chest-length so I will look into storm-flap options. That Montane option seems nice, but spendy (I hadn't thought there would be any options in the ultra category).

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Spektr on 06/01/2013 00:04:23 MDT Print View

Yep, thats the one I was thinking of. Getting all confused!