Forum Index » Chaff » Is it just me...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Is it just me... on 05/30/2013 13:37:50 MDT Print View

.... or is the Bat Poop Crazy getting laid on a little thick this week? Please let me know what I can do to keep the momentum going because this is better than day time TV!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Is it just me... on 05/30/2013 15:00:46 MDT Print View

Yup, it's just you!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Is it just me... on 05/30/2013 15:06:04 MDT Print View

"Yup, it's just you!"

Fair enough! Of course your new moniker puts a whole new spin on my OP.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Is it just me... on 06/07/2013 21:07:47 MDT Print View

Is It Just Me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu2N8FJPYN0

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Is it just me... on 06/07/2013 21:10:17 MDT Print View

Been a good week. Seriously weird. No Bob Gross for 10 days. Maybe that is having some effect.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Bob Gross: Is it just me? on 06/08/2013 11:58:46 MDT Print View

I hope all the people making fun of Bob haven't driven him away...but how welcome or willing to post would I feel if 5 different people were making fun of my name or trying to mock me somehow.

I've always enjoyed his posts and think this whole trend is weak.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? on 06/08/2013 12:03:53 MDT Print View

I do think the OP was talking about a few of the recent threads.

Bob's a big boy. I hope he sees it as fun.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? on 06/08/2013 13:10:05 MDT Print View

I know, sort of off topic for this thread.

But the whole Bob Gross thing still doesn't sit well with me. I don't interpret it as being as good natured as many might think it is.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? on 06/08/2013 15:14:34 MDT Print View

It doesn't strike me as good natured either, but Bob has dished some out in the past, so he has to also be able to take some too. I think he's still around(I hope so) just hasn't posted. Some of the impersonators posts have been pretty stinkin' funny.

Ryan

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? on 06/08/2013 16:44:55 MDT Print View

"I do think the OP was talking about a few of the recent threads."

Yes. Entertaining for sure.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? - @Bob Gross on 06/08/2013 17:08:19 MDT Print View

"I've always enjoyed his posts and think this whole trend is weak."

A huge +1 to that. I've been wondering about his absence as well. His posting style can grate at times, unlike the rest of us of course, but the guy knows a lot about backpacking. He is often well worth listening to, especially if one is a noob,
and occasionally even if one is not a noob. So, yeah, maybe time to knock it off guys?

And to Bob, don't let 'em get you down. C'mon back to the playground. And don't forget to bring your ball. :o)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Bob Gross: Is it just me? - @Bob Gross on 06/13/2013 12:47:16 MDT Print View

"And to Bob, don't let 'em get you down. C'mon back to the playground. And don't forget to bring your ball. :o)"

...ball(s)

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
BPL ... what's going on? on 06/15/2013 21:47:51 MDT Print View

I haven't been around BPL much the last year or so, but the last few threads I've looked at have been pretty off - BPL definitely used to be a more courteous place.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: BPL ... what's going on? on 06/15/2013 21:53:59 MDT Print View

"BPL definitely used to be a more courteous place."

I don't know D W, I think it comes in cycles. There was a very nasty gun thread a few years ago - I'm sure you remember it. And before my time there was some nasty thread that caused one person to leave, I don't quite remember what it was about. In the three years I've been here I've seen a number of nasty threads, unfortunately I participated in a few. They're not continuous, thank gawd, but they do come around. Perhaps, though, they're happening a little more often than they used to, not sure.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Re: BPL ... what's going on? on 06/15/2013 22:03:45 MDT Print View

"I don't know D W, I think it comes in cycles. There was a very nasty gun thread a few years ago - I'm sure you remember it. And before my time there was some nasty thread that caused one person to leave, I don't quite remember what it was about. In the three years I've been here I've seen a number of nasty threads, unfortunately I participated in a few. They're not continuous, thank gawd, but they do come around. Perhaps, though, they're happening a little more often than they used to, not sure"

That's true - actually there have been a couple of gun threads, but thankfully they and the dog threads (which nearly always turned contentious) seem to have been fewer recently. And, mea culpa, I was a participant in the Carbon Flame War. But my recollection is that apart from the issues that were always going to be contentious things were fairly polite - unusually so for the internet.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Is it just me? on 06/15/2013 23:08:50 MDT Print View

"But the whole Bob Gross thing still doesn't sit well with me. I don't interpret it as being as good natured as many might think it is."

Same here.

Didn't really think the related posts were funny either

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL ... what's going on? on 06/16/2013 09:17:02 MDT Print View

Been here since the beginning. I don't see any real difference. There have always been ones who don't play nice with others. I can post links going back 8 years or so if you need evidence. Same complaints all the time too. It is cyclical. But never-ending.

I've been a prick. Bob Gross certainly has a number of people who think he is a prick as well. Many don't/won't miss him if he does not post again. Many would feel relief if I stopped too. That's life. You can't please everyone. You can't control people. And you can't make people like you. Many won't give a rat's ass what you think.

Then there are trolls.

They heydays of BPL are over. Too many other sites and blogs now sharing the knowledge.

RJ has said that 80% of Lifers do not participate in the forums. I would imagine the regular subscribers have a similar percentage active.

So what are you doing here?

My pre coffee 2ยข

Edit: I think people who only visit the forum occasionally/seasonally are always the one to voice this concern that something has changed. Dunno.

One more thing. At the forums core is still a fantastic bunch of passionate outdoors people. All the BPLrs I've met in real life 100+ have been great. And to hear the discussions at the GGGs. It's like the forum to some extent. Lot's of gear and chaff.

Edited by kthompson on 06/16/2013 10:04:08 MDT.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Re: BPL ... what's going on? on 06/16/2013 15:56:25 MDT Print View

"Been here since the beginning. I don't see any real difference."

Ken, I respectfully disagree. I also have a long perspective, since I used to visit before Ryan got the site going - it used to have messages like "it'll all be running in the next month" etc.

There seems to me to be a more personal element - the SMD thread for one and the focus on Bob Gross another, I remember seeing a particular person being picked on at TLB, but it's rare here.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL ... what's going on? on 06/16/2013 16:21:42 MDT Print View

Remember the flying squirrel guy? Or the kid from REI who was going to school us. How about the guy that called Sven Klingman a fag? Pick a gun thread. Any of them. SMD? What about the Nalgene You Stink thread? I could go on all day into the night recounting threads that have gone to hell in a hurry over the years. Plenty of them nasty and personal.

As the years have gone by many of the long time posters have actually met and do trips together. Become friends. This is going to lead to more personal discussion, and inside jokes. All of which will seem odd to those who are not in the know.

Or we can blame the economy as it has been downhill since the forums started. Maybe global warming?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Shades of grey... gray... whatever on 06/16/2013 16:24:59 MDT Print View

I'm very new to the site so I have no historical perspective. I've found that the internet does not bring out the best in people and there are endless opportunities for misunderstandings. I had to take several classes online and it never ceased to amaze me when an otherwise rational person would completely lose their cool in a threaded discussion in a way that would never happen in a brick and mortar classroom. Some people need to stop being so vicious. Other people need to stop being so sensitive. 90% of it happens in the gray area where we need to deliver and receive as adults imo.

I'm certainly no angel.

There have been a few unfortunate incidents here and there that I've observed over the past months but overall I think this forum does a pretty good job of keeping most arguments above the belt.