Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Marathon des Sables
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Flatoff
(danflat) - F
Marathon des Sables on 05/18/2007 13:44:54 MDT Print View

This 150mile race thru the desert is wild. Carry all your own food for 7days duration. Sleep overnight in berber tents. And max allocation of 9liters of water a day. From the info I've found it appears some just hike the whole thing. While others run and hike. Has anyone done this or know anyone that has walked this race? Here some info I got from

Over 7 700 competitors since 1986
30 % repeat competitors
70 % international
30 % French
14 % women
45 % veterans
30 % in teams of three or more
10 % walkers
90 % alternate walking and running
14 km/hr: average maximum speed
3 km/hr: average minimum speed
Age of youngest competitor: 16
Age of oldest competitor: 78

The fastest time was 17H25'06
The last finisher was 53H19'41

Any thoughts?


cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
a lady in my town did it when she was 73! on 05/18/2007 14:05:51 MDT Print View

she's amazing - helen klein (look her up!)

here's an interesting story of one sables survivor:

"All I could think about was that I was going to die a horrible death," Mauro Prosperi, the Italian marathoner and pentathlete, said in an interview after he was lost in the Moroccan Sahara for ten days. "I had once heard that dying of thirst was the worst possible fate." In April 1994, the 39-year-old policeman from Sicily signed on for the Marathon des Sables, a seven-day, 145-mile run across the Sahara. Prosperi was in seventh place when a windstorm kicked up and violent clouds of sand obscured the course. He wrapped a towel around his face and stumbled on, trying to maintain his position, until he was forced to take shelter under a bush. When the wind subsided, the racecourse was nowhere in sight. With temperatures soaring above 100 degrees, Prosperi was lost, and had only a few swallows of water left in his bottle.

Three days later, the runner spotted a small Muslim shrine, and he set his Italian flag outside on a tent pole. Nearly mad from thirst, he caught two small bats, wrung their necks, and slurped their blood. Convinced he couldn't last another day without water, Prosperi used a piece of charcoal to write a note to his wife, then slit his wrist—but his blood had thickened and wouldn't flow. In desperation, he set out across the desert toward a mountain range 20 miles in the distance. Five days later, he came upon a group of Tuareg nomads, who took him on camelback to a nearby village. He'd walked to Algeria—130 miles west of the course—dropped 33 pounds, and severely damaged his liver. He has since returned to compete in the Marathon des Sables six times.