Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) - Episode 2: Food & Water

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: getting bearbag rope over a branch: The SUL Wanderer - Episode 2 on 06/02/2013 19:56:17 MDT Print View

Throw the bag like it's a grenade.

Doug,

If you saw me throw like it is a grenade you'd quickly transfer me out of your foxhole;-)

(I tried it this weekend)

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Re: Re: wood fire smoke on 06/03/2013 00:01:09 MDT Print View

"Our culture now has an alarmist attitude to anything remotely unhealthy while ignoring all of the significant things that damage our health every day."

Like... burning wood?
I mean, some people use it to heat their homes every day - and the evidence shows this is *exactly* a "significant thing that damages our health."

Anyway, I hear what you're saying, and I also get the (mostly valid) comparison to car exhaust (though the point was really that what I've read on wood smoke is that, despite what we'd like to believe, it is in fact far more dangerous/carcinogenic than most synthetic exhausts - that's possibly offset by the vastly greater amounts a lot of us inhale of the latter).

But where I disagree is that sound scientific research is just a byproduct of "our culture" and can be safely ignored. Do you feel the same way about "our culture's" views on UV radiation from the sun, or cigarette smoke, or looking both ways before crossing the street?
My point is that if you in any way make decisions in your life about the above three things, which are all well-researched and are extremely likely to have some impact on your health, you have similar reason to make an informed decision about wood smoke.
If you feel it's worth the risks, or you mitigate your exposure time and stay upwind, etc, then great, that's your decision to make either way. I'll probably do the same from time to time, though I suspect the amount inhaled at a campfire, even upwind, is far greater than we might think. I just think it's interesting to ponder how all that is natural is not always 'good' or always worth the "increase[d] connectivity to the natural environment" as Ryan put it.

My apologies for any potential derailment, as well.

Edited by dasbin on 06/03/2013 00:10:04 MDT.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Safety vs fires on 06/07/2013 16:48:56 MDT Print View

"But where I disagree is that sound scientific research is just a byproduct of "our culture" and can be safely ignored. Do you feel the same way about "our culture's" views on UV radiation from the sun, or cigarette smoke, or looking both ways before crossing the street?"

Time for me to strip naked and run through traffic on a sunny day while I fire up a smoke!

Sorry .... Couldn't resist planting that extreamly unsavory image in everyone's minds ....

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: getting bearbag rope over a branch: The SUL Wanderer - Episode 2 on 06/07/2013 17:05:17 MDT Print View

"Throw the bag like it's a grenade. Best way for bear bag line throwing."

Listen up, folks. I saw Doug make some very impressive throws last summer, including one that still has me shaking my head in amazement.

Jonathan Pratt
(Tyke)
More episodes? on 08/28/2013 05:12:54 MDT Print View

Ryan

Great videos - anymore in the series on SUL backpacking? You mentioned...

"Episode #2 will focus on some basic techniques I use in my style of SUL:

Bivy sack camping in inclement weather without a tarp;
SUL essentials...and nonessentials;"

Still interested in the bivi bag techniques...

Videos brought the whole topic to life!

Shawn Bearden
(ShawnB) - F - MLife

Locale: SE Idaho
More SUL wanderer episodes? on 09/19/2013 13:07:51 MDT Print View

What's the plan/timeline for the SUL wanderer series? Are we going to see any more - seems like there is a lot left to cover. At least enough for a few more episodes.