Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
communication on 05/30/2013 14:34:06 MDT Print View

Many have dinged Yang on communication. Considering his name and writing style, I think it's clear that English is not his first language. You guys need to cut some slack based on that item alone. He's communicated pretty well in light of that.

>"But in the end we're talking about $20 which in my opinion doesn't even remotely >warrant the giant dogpile in this thread - hasn't everyone got better things to do??"

The harm to Yang wasn't just $20 it was also the kink in his trip planning caused by the defective merchandise not to mention the hassle of dealing with Six Moon.

Forums like this are the perfect place to air this stuff. If everyone has better things to do, why operate the site at all?

Six Moon had their chance to keep this from snowballing into a PR disaster dogpile. They chose instead to attack the customer. They are reaping the consequences.

Six Moon has enjoyed the internet's benefits of instant communication and widespread sharing of info to build up their business, nobody complained then of having better things to do. Now Six Moon must endure the other side of the internet coin. Tough.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD on 05/30/2013 14:35:54 MDT Print View

"They are a black ops wing of the UPS.."

Sweet! This gets better by the minute. Beer. Flip flops. Robe. Beer. Hand in pants Al Bundy style.... let the circus continue!

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
** on 05/30/2013 14:36:17 MDT Print View

Edited by ctracyverizon on 06/12/2013 08:02:35 MDT.

Alice Hengst
(Moondust) - MLife

Locale: Southern Sierras
Tuition Payment on 05/30/2013 14:55:01 MDT Print View

$20 is a pretty cheap tuition payment to the School of Life. I've made many that are 10 or 100 times that amount. Thanks to Yang, that $20 provided a free class for all of us. What you learn from the class is up to you.

scree ride
(scree)
Any advertising is good advertising on 05/30/2013 15:03:04 MDT Print View

There are more satisfied customers here than there are dissatisfied ones. Those of you who write the company off, were probably never going to buy from them anyway.
Now what I'm reading and many others will as well is...
"I wanted a Cuban tarp for my trip. They didn't have one so I ordered what they had. It got a bit roughed up on my trip and I really wanted cuben anyway. It's their fault for not having it in stock and I shouldn't suffer for their oversight."
This may be the exception, but I read the same thing over and over down rating good products. I just ignore it. Put it off as some hothead...
If you're serious, e-mails are disingenuous, pick up the phone and call.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 15:12:20 MDT Print View

What I'm reading, and many others will as well is, "I love My favorite company. I'm ignoring everything that threatens that love, and substituting it with a story that I like better. Like one where the gear was delivered in flawless condition, used, damaged, and returned under false pretenses. "

--G.B.--

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 15:19:57 MDT Print View

. Like one where the gear was delivered in flawless condition, used, damaged, and returned under false pretenses

are BPLers making up stories and trying to re-write the OPs original post to "protect" some cottage company?

hmmmmmm ;)

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Any advertising is good advertising on 05/30/2013 15:23:57 MDT Print View

English is my second language, but I do not think your reading skill is better than me.

"I wanted a Cuban tarp for my trip. They didn't have one so I ordered what they had. It got a bit roughed up on my trip and I really wanted cuben anyway. It's their fault for not having it in stock and I shouldn't suffer for their oversight."

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Any advertising is good advertising on 05/30/2013 15:25:26 MDT Print View

Seriously Scat or Scree or what ever your name is, did you read the first post or just try to get straight into the action.

By the way how is gross bob related to bob gross? It would make my day if they were the same person and one is for serious posts and the other is a gimick.....Cause ive noticed that gross bob is far funnier the Bob gross. Sorry Bob gross :(

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 15:31:39 MDT Print View

"There are more satisfied customers here than there are dissatisfied ones."

How do you know this? Yang is told not to air issues on a public forum and given the hostility he has faced maybe this is why many do not come forward. Are you saying that more should come forward?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Very pleasant experience with Six Moon Design on 05/30/2013 15:44:13 MDT Print View

I've met Ron a couple of times now. I like him. I do wish that the Lunar Solos were in stock and that green was still an option.

Just saying.

This whole little episode will fade in time. A small misunderstanding, mis-handling of a minor situation. I'm sure things will be

worked out. Will the OP tell us?

M J
(mj451at2) - M

Locale: Somewhere out hiking!!!
Well said... on 05/30/2013 16:15:26 MDT Print View

Many have dinged Yang on communication. Considering his name and writing style, I think it's clear that English is not his first language. You guys need to cut some slack based on that item alone. He's communicated pretty well in light of that.

>"But in the end we're talking about $20 which in my opinion doesn't even remotely >warrant the giant dogpile in this thread - hasn't everyone got better things to do??"

The harm to Yang wasn't just $20 it was also the kink in his trip planning caused by the defective merchandise not to mention the hassle of dealing with Six Moon.

Forums like this are the perfect place to air this stuff. If everyone has better things to do, why operate the site at all?

Six Moon had their chance to keep this from snowballing into a PR disaster dogpile. They chose instead to attack the customer. They are reaping the consequences.

Six Moon has enjoyed the internet's benefits of instant communication and widespread sharing of info to build up their business, nobody complained then of having better things to do. Now Six Moon must endure the other side of the internet coin. Tough.

Nice... I wonder if Ron's posts will return... or if he will??? Thinkin' Brandon might get a new trail name...

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
SMD on 05/30/2013 16:19:15 MDT Print View

Just to throw my 2 cents in what six moon should have done or should do is given a $20 credit toward the purchase of a future SMD product. This protects SMD from the buyer walking away and deciding not to get the Cuban tarp and the buyer gets the shipping refunded.

In my opinion six moons did not handle it as well as could have been. But I also think the reaction in this thread has been almost comical on both sides.

Fitz Travels
(fitztravels)
Fair game and The Gear Cult phenomenon. on 05/30/2013 16:24:59 MDT Print View

Its fair game. These cottage manufacturers benefit, purposefully or not, on basically free advertising from people on this site...so they can endure the occasion criticism posted. Personally, i am of the frame of mind where i make a mistake and people paid me... I do whatever I need to do to fix it... Not only that... But maybe even go a little extra.

Obviously... Not everyone is like that.

Actually, i totally agree with gross bob and eric chan.There are blatant displays of fanboydom in this forum concerning certain companies or products. Can you say Western Mountaineering and Tarptent? I once pointed out on the Moment DW how you cant quickly put the fly on when using only the bug tent. Immediately, the excuses were made... Its not designed for high rain area... WTF? Seriously? Then others chimed in with generic, brainwashed support like saying... Its awesome!.... While never addressing the specific slight criticism i had.

I have to admit, i see basically the same happening here. Its quite clear what happened, as evidence by the emails, and its quite evident who went back on their word. Even if there was miscommunication within the company, thats still their fault.

Dont have a dog in the fight, but it is fun to watch people resort to ridiculous rationalizations and justifications to support some manufacturers here.... Especially when there evidence to reject these.

> From: store@sixmoondesigns.com [mailto:store@sixmoondesigns.com]
> Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:57 PM
> To: Yang Lu
> Subject: RE: Six Moon Designs: A couple flaws on my tent
>
> Yang,
>
> After we get the shelter in we can reimburse you for shipping costs.

Ummm... How is this a misunderstanding? Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Put down the koolaid.

Edited by fitztravels on 05/30/2013 16:40:13 MDT.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 16:39:34 MDT Print View

Sure, if they have a complaint.
There is no hostility.
I'm just telling you my interpretation of the rogue complaints I see. A single complaint only tells me somebody's having a bad day.
Bring on more complaints. If there is fact to the story, it will bear out. In the mean time I'll just simply entertain myself with it.
Now about that lawn mower and more important issues...Did you get it back?

To the O.P. Again if you have a complaint, make the phone call. Settle it man to man, then come here.

Edited by scree on 05/30/2013 16:42:24 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Koolaid on 05/30/2013 16:46:12 MDT Print View

I brought koolaid packits backpacking once but I forgot you need a thousand cups of sugar to make it. :/

Ps. I just got off the phone with Ron and he said he is writing posters names down and will be providing defective gear to all of us on future purchases. Also he is changing the return policy. Now customers will pay double shipping to return anything, pictures of said gear NOT being used need to be supplied for proof that said gear has not been used... And once the new tent smell has worn off the purchase can not be returned.

GICH

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: Re: Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 16:52:56 MDT Print View

"To the O.P. Again if you have a complaint, make the phone call. Settle it man to man, then come here." Scree (clearly still mowing)

You make your phone calls man to man? Isn't it awkward calling some one to that you are standing next to? or are you suggesting he face time Ron and that will get the problem solved?

You still havent read the first post(shakes head).

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
man to man. on 05/30/2013 16:54:50 MDT Print View

Corresponding (in writing) via email, being promised something (in writing), and then having that promise broken (in writing) just doesn't seem "man to man" for a real man.

So man up, make that manly call, have verbal promises made (which are totally binding), and then come here to complain only when those verbal promises (made man to man) fail. Then it can be a case of "man-said, man-said," and I'm positive you'll get your way then, since Moak is totally a man of his word.

--B.R.--

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/30/2013 17:07:59 MDT Print View

Why not call? It's much more personal and you'd probably get the attention you're looking for. E-mails aren't human.Instead making a scene appeals to the primal senses.(shakes all over)

scree ride
(scree)
Re: man to man. on 05/30/2013 17:09:52 MDT Print View

Woman to woman if you prefer, except they're both men.