Forum Index » GEAR » Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Huh? on 05/30/2013 11:28:31 MDT Print View

Zorg, your reply is really ....odd? ? I would not want you on my side .

Edited by Kat_P on 05/30/2013 11:34:48 MDT.

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Re: Re: Some customers should be turned away on 05/30/2013 11:36:12 MDT Print View

As a human being, who shared the same hobby, I can respect you at the beginning. But you are destroying that respect. While all I am talking about was an internet sale, you started to attack me. Arguing with you just downgrades my status.

Yang Lu wrote - "In my case, I have all communications documented in the emails. Tell me what made you think I am 1/1000 ignorant customers?"

I've read you OP multiple times. 95% of it was whining/complaining/moaning/venting about your own mistakes. Yea, you made multiple mistakes. Ultimately you got told "NO" because you screwed up. The key here is that YOU SCREWED UP. And instead of making a phone call to SMD to clear things up, you continue to bash them on a public forum, obviously enjoying your "victim" status amongst your supporters. So you have created and maintained a "pity thread".

I'm gonna buy some more gear from SMD now, (and I certainly don't need anything), just to show my support. I'm glad I'm not in the retail business.

josh jordan
(jjchgo) - M
Zorg... on 05/30/2013 11:36:17 MDT Print View

NO SMD SCREWED UP. Period! An employee promised something and the company didn't deliver on that promise. Simple as that. If you want to did deeper lets talk about QC, SMD should be ashamed sending that net-tent out in the condition it was in. How about the edited post by Ron? He wont stand by his employees words, heck he wont even stand by his own words.

Enjoy shopping at SMD, there is a saying about a "person" and his money being easily separated...

Edited by jjchgo on 05/30/2013 11:37:43 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
That SMD thread on 05/30/2013 11:37:57 MDT Print View

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: That SMD thread on 05/30/2013 11:54:08 MDT Print View

Damn Ron and his corporate greed.

Brandon, your grounded.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
** on 05/30/2013 11:59:08 MDT Print View

Edited by ctracyverizon on 06/12/2013 08:01:46 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Top 10 PR Blunders on 05/30/2013 12:11:34 MDT Print View

"Sure. Can I borrow your lawn mower?"

Sure. But Zorg is using it until Saturday after he mows down as much common sense as possible. After that, it is yours.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
ENOUGH ALREADY! on 05/30/2013 12:16:24 MDT Print View

PLEASE - GIVE IT A REST, GUYS!

Everyone has had their say.

IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
give it a rest? on 05/30/2013 12:55:45 MDT Print View

Though the points raised by the OP have not been addressed by SMD, Bob has apaprently decided this thread is over. However, I'd say that until the OP is fairly treated by SMD, I'd think it should continue (in a rational manner). (It seems that Ron, Brandon, the OP, etc. might have different definitions of what "fair" is.)

I know we all love to praise and support our local friendly cottage gear makers (in my case, Tarptent and MLD have been nothing but stellar), I don't think they are entitled to a free pass when they don't do right by the customer. It's pretty clear here that they haven't.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
NO BOB!! on 05/30/2013 12:57:42 MDT Print View

The price is wrong *****

Yang- dont defend youself anymore there is no need clearly anyone with a shred of buisness sense or even common sense knows this was not right.

On BPL when this happens normally the majority of the people rush to defend the cottage gear guy. Most people hear, after reading your story and your emails, agree with you so that says something. Just let it go now and let the jokes finish off the thread.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: I'm not reading all of this on 05/30/2013 13:00:58 MDT Print View

Bob, You knew that wouldn't work didn't you.

I sense two more pages at least.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Maybe take a lesson from Stew Leonard's ? on 05/30/2013 13:05:27 MDT Print View

Stew Leonard's Success Story

Stew Leonard

edited to fix link.

Edited by ngatel on 05/30/2013 13:09:03 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Maybe take a lesson from Stew Leonard's ? on 05/30/2013 13:07:56 MDT Print View

Apparently Bob is going to set things straight.

(Crickets)

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Unfortunate on 05/30/2013 13:08:46 MDT Print View

This whole situation is unfortunate. The OP, in this instance, is in the right. I didn't get to read Ron's responses but based on the flaming he got I'll assume he didn't intend to make the issue right.

I recall back in training for being a sales manager, I was told that a satisfied customer will (on average) tell 3 people. An unsatisfied customer will (on average) tell 20 people. That was before forums, when you could tell 1000 people with one click. I would say the damage to SMD's business far exceeds the $20 in shipping they saved.

I like that BPL allows people to frankly discuss the good and the bad about businesses. I disagree with the fellow earlier who said this type of discussion should not be allowed--- unless they also disallow discussions of a positive nature. Many people, like myself, utilize this forum to determine what to buy and from whom. That said, I know Ron and SMD have an overall good reputation and this thread doesn't make me discount them entirely but it does cloud the image I had in my head until today both of their gear quality and of their customer service.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Not $20 on 05/30/2013 13:23:18 MDT Print View

They lost sale of net tent, cuben shelter, customer, and when the new pack line is announced, this concern about customer service, returns, etc will be hanging around.

$20 was how it started, and looks cheaper now I'm sure than four days ago.

The one thing SMD has going for them is they are huge. Since you can buy their gear in pretty much any sporting goods store, people don't need to be concerned with dealing with a mail order company with peculiar shipping habits. REI or similar is willing to take care of the customer on SMDs behalf.

Edited by redmonk on 05/30/2013 13:31:00 MDT.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Yang need Yin from SMD on 05/30/2013 13:33:37 MDT Print View

If SMD refinds reason, hopefully it can repair the damage directly with Yang.

The SMD stain left by this thread will take sometime to fade. Ironically, its not Yang's posts which most damaged SMD's reputation - it was Ron's.

For those who have previously dealt with Ron this event can be minimized in the context of other favourable dealings. For those who have never dealt with him or SMD, I expect this early summer posting frenzy will tarnish both for some time.

Its all very regrettable. Refunding the shipping and being done with it will put it to bed sooner rather than later. Not doing so will give this a longer life, even after the posting stops, as newcomers search SMD, this is what they will inevitably find.

Its unbelievable how SMD have martyred the principle of fair dealing for $20. What would they do for $200?

Crazy!

Derrick

Edited by miku on 05/30/2013 14:09:13 MDT.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
** on 05/30/2013 13:45:48 MDT Print View

Edited by ctracyverizon on 06/12/2013 08:00:46 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Bob on 05/30/2013 14:02:21 MDT Print View

First of all this... this thread is better than anything I can find on TV. But in trying to keep up with this Soap Opera... who's Bob?

The players as I can tell:

Ron is the owner.
Brandon is the SMD son/employee gone rogue
Yang is the customer
Zorg is the motivational speaker
John is my new favorite Dr. Seuss character

But who is Bob? I'm assuming we're not talking about Bob Bankhead who asked a few responses ago for everyone to politely stfu (paraphrasing of course).

Is he a secret agent from a Borat inspired terror group on a mission here in the U.S. to disrupt the harmony between OCD BPLers and the cottage industry? Is he here to reveal the truth that not one of these people even own a cottage?

LET'S DO THIS PEOPLE. Grab those energy drinks and dig in! Certainly we can get another few pages from this!

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Read "Ron" on 05/30/2013 14:08:06 MDT Print View

Read Ron - will edit

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD on 05/30/2013 14:14:45 MDT Print View

BOB is actually a recursive acronym for the BOB owns backpacking, where BOB is actually a reverse recursive acronym for Bankers of BOB, where BOB is an acronym for Bags or bivies.

Put together, BOB is the Bankers of Bags or Bivies owns backpacking.

They are a black ops wing of the UPS, acting in partnership with the cottage industry to reap maximum shipping profits from minimal weight packages. They have been know to pal around with the USPS, the NCAA, and the LGPA.

Hope this helps,
--G.B.--