Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD)
Display Avatars Sort By:
robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
SMD Problems on 05/31/2013 11:35:12 MDT Print View

Maybe the truth is: The whole issue would have never had "legs" if SMD's quality and customer service had been on par. Many people on here know that SMD's quality and service are sub-par, but have been too polite to talk about it, and they just chose not do business with them again.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: SMD Problems on 05/31/2013 11:38:12 MDT Print View

"Many people on here know that SMD's quality and service are sub-par, but have been too polite to talk about it"

word

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Warranty v. Fit for use on 05/31/2013 11:40:25 MDT Print View

Total bs on your contract law ideas.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: SMD Problems on 05/31/2013 11:42:19 MDT Print View

"Many people on here know that SMD's quality and service are sub-par, but have been too polite to talk about it, and they just chose not do business with them again."

I don't know if we can unilaterally say the quality and service is sub-par. However, usually when customers are unhappy, they move on and just don't do business with the company anymore without saying anything.

In contrast, Lawson Kline at http://www.lawsonequipment.com/ sends out a customer satisfaction survey to ensure his customers are happy. And I would guess he looks at any negative feedback to see if there is some sort of process breakdown on his part that needs to be addressed or fixed.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
smd quality - cottage vendors in general on 05/31/2013 11:46:40 MDT Print View

We need more objective reviews in general. But we do not need mindless bashing to support a noobs mistakes.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: smd quality - cottage vendors in general on 05/31/2013 11:50:52 MDT Print View

"We need more objective reviews in general. But we do not need mindless bashing to support a noobs mistakes."

LOL uses mindless bashing in the same sentance as calling some one he doesnt know a NOOB

Yorg is such a noob and apparently a hypocrite.

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Warranty v. Fit for use on 05/31/2013 11:51:15 MDT Print View

Derrick, thanks for the message. It was very educational and I learned a lot from your post.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: WWGVPD on 05/31/2013 11:51:31 MDT Print View

Glen VanPlaski would do whatever could possible be termed as "the right thing", because he is a gracious individual, and that is the wasy he ahs been since birth.

as a cottage manufacturer, has anybody considered that it is the height of the busy season, that bpl moves/second-guesses vastly faster than any form of cottage-second-part time-job individual ever cared to, and that this Entire fiasco could very well be simply a "xhit fell thru the cracks" / "comdey of errors' scenario ?

until i am aware of a proven pattern of lies and deception from one or the other (or both)(federal politics all but immediately comes to mind). i am more than eager to let this issue be handled by the individuals involved.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Re: Warranty v. Fit for use on 05/31/2013 12:11:09 MDT Print View

Yea right. Be careful trying his version of contract law in general court. Btw, why don't you try your claims in small claims court?

Could it be that the pity train is more fun? And you know that a judge would side with smd ?

Edited by BurnNotice on 05/31/2013 12:37:04 MDT.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Re: smd quality - cottage vendors in general on 05/31/2013 12:35:05 MDT Print View

whining

Jason Johnson
(etex9799)
I never got a call on 05/31/2013 12:42:20 MDT Print View

When the Tie-0ut loop was missing on my SMD tent, I never got a call (left VM an hour after receiving it) never replied to my emails. After 4 days I got ahold of them..i returned tent and had to pay shipping. FWIW

Jason Johnson
(etex9799)
Let me add... on 05/31/2013 12:53:51 MDT Print View

I had to pay shipping because I told them I wanted to return it. They did offer to remedy the situation but I immediately lost faith in them when the sewing was so bad. I mean, sewing is half the product.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: I never got a call on 05/31/2013 12:55:53 MDT Print View

"When the Tie-0ut loop was missing on my SMD tent, I never got a call (left VM an hour after receiving it) never replied to my emails. After 4 days I got ahold of them..i returned tent and had to pay shipping. FWIW"

I just got off the phone with Zorg he said you are clearly a whiner you should have just sewed it up and moved on posting a positive review on BPL for said items. He also said you should call Ron again and tlak to him man to man over the phone.

Jason Johnson
(etex9799)
Your a weird dude, Josh Brock, ...a weird dude. on 05/31/2013 13:01:47 MDT Print View

See Subject.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Let me add... on 05/31/2013 13:02:06 MDT Print View

Seriously? Does anybody read the return policy? Is this due our 3rd world educational system?

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Very unpleasant experience with Six Moon Design (SMD) on 05/31/2013 13:04:53 MDT Print View

Thats a great Story Jason, but didn't the actual series of events go more like this :

1) SMD delivered an excellent product
2) You decided you wanted a different color from a different company, but needed a way to return the item.
3) You set up your shelter on the Jersey Shore during hurricane Sandy, but the SMD tent held up to the challenge.
4) You took the tent to Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas to put the gear directly in the path of F4 and F5 tornados, but the shelter would not budge. At one point, not caught on video, but remored to be true, the shelter grew in size to protect a family caught out in the storms, and continue to grow until thousands of people were sheltered from the hail and wind. It was truly a miracle product.
5) But the color still bothered you, so eventually you gave up and took a knife to it, removing a tie out, and claiming a defective product.

Admit it, That is how it really went. Nothing comes defective, and everyone here knows that. That is a fact !

The paths some people take to get out of gear they regret purchasing just blows my mind.

--G.B.--

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Another Example of Poor SMD Quality Control on 05/31/2013 13:06:31 MDT Print View

Last June Manfred bought a cuben Haven and net tent from SMD, the latter of which came in at 16 ounces when the website stated it was 14 ounces. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65221&disable_pagination=1

The discussion remained civil throughout but the SMD website still shows the net tent at 14 ounces even though SMD said in the thread that 16 ounces is the new weight based on the new mesh they are using.

That said, in the thread SMD also said they would update the weight in 2013, so I guess they have time...

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Please? on 05/31/2013 13:15:28 MDT Print View

Could you all please go for a hike?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
torches on 05/31/2013 13:17:40 MDT Print View

In Mannfred's thread, someone jumped in and talked about "bringing out the torches" and Mannfred quite civilly stated he just wanted a "sensible discussion about reasonable expectations."

Pretty sure the OP was (and still is) only looking for this also...

--B.R.--

Edited by DaveT on 05/31/2013 13:18:47 MDT.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Re: Please? on 05/31/2013 13:18:50 MDT Print View

drama

What? How will we hit 15 pages?