I learned Six Moon Design (SMD) from this forum and ordered a tent recently but my experience with them was rather disappointed. I’d like to share my experience and hope other customers won’t experience what I experienced. I attached the email communications at the end of this post to make sure I did not make up anything.
I originally was going to buy a cuben Haven NetTent for a recent trip. But since they did not have cuben version in stock, I ordered the regular version and hoped to use it ASAP.
After I received the Tarp and NetTent, I noticed two issues (see attached photos):
the NetTent had some holes on it:
the stitching on the tarp is not clean:
So I contacted them. Here were what I learned:
1. For 3 business days (April 29 to May 1) I had heard nothing from them. After sending another email and calling them once, I finally got a response on the forth business day (May 2). You judge how fast the communication was.
2. In May 2’s email, Brandon Moak indicated that if the tent was used it would no longer be returnable. So it looked like I was pretty lucky, because I found the holes in my tent before I use it; otherwise if I found the defectives after I used it even once, I won’t be able to return it. I am curious how Six Moon Design (SMD) stands behind their product? If you order any items from them, you must check them REALLY REALLY carefully; otherwise, if you accidently used them and find the problem later, not sure how they are going to replace your defective items.
3. They agreed the Net Tent should be replaced, which was good. For the stitching issue in the photo on the tarp, the solution Six Moon Design (SMD) offered was: “…if you snip those off the problem will be solved…”. So, as a customer who received the brand new tarp, the first thing they wanted me to do, was to snip the stitches. I am not sure after I cut those threads if the remaining stitches would still be durable. Anyway, this was how they want a customer to do with a new tarp.
4. Now, it came to the interesting part. Because of the defective Net Tent, I was not able to use the tent for my soon coming trip. Then I can wait for the cuben version until it is in stock. In my email below I clearly communicated this point, and on May 2, Brandon Moak confirmed they would reimburse the shipping cost.
5. I sent both tarp and net tent back to Six Moon Design (SMD) and left a note in the package. To my surprise, when I checked my credit card statement, they did not reimburse my shipping at all and did not even bother to contact me after seeing my notes in the package.
6. After I emailed them, Ron Moak used two sentences to explain why they did not reimburse me the shipping cost “You didn't get a full refund because you canceled the order. We would have swapped with correct gear refunded shipping.” He obviously did not feel sorry for sending me a defective item and delayed my use, also completely ignored what Brandon Moak had agreed.
7. Now, I ended up losing $21 shipping cost and had no new tent at all. This was how Six Moon Design (SMD) took care of its customer. I am feeling lucky I did not order the expensive cuben product from Six Moon Design (SMD). Who knows what could happen if something goes wrong.
You didn't get a full refund because you canceled the order. We would have swapped with correct gear refunded shipping.
Six Moon Designs
On May 14, 2013, at 12:47 AM, "Yang Lu" wrote:
> Hi Brandon,
> I saw my credit card got refund for $350. I thought you were going to
> refund me the shipping cost (please look at your previous reply)
> because this was a defective product. So the total refund should be $371.6.
> I remember I left a note in the package. Can you please explain why I
> only received $350?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
> Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:57 PM
> To: Yang Lu
> Subject: RE: Six Moon Designs: A couple flaws on my tent
> After we get the shelter in we can reimburse you for shipping costs.
> The shelter should fit nicely in a priority mail tyvek envelope and
> only weight 1 lb.
> Please send to
> Six Moon Designs
> 8250 SW Nimbus Ave
> Beaverton, OR 97008
> Thank you,
> Brandon Moak
> Six Moon Designs
> Innovative Ultralight Adventure Gear
>> None of them have been used. So we are fine. I am thinking to return
>> them all and buy them later when your cuben version is in stock. But
>> since this is a material defective and not my fault, it does not make
>> sense for me to pay for the shipping to return them. Can you afford
>> the shipping cost? Do you have a way to issue return label? Or you
>> can reimburse the shipping after you receive them?
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
>> Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:12 AM
>> To: Yang Lu
>> Subject: RE: Six Moon Designs: A couple flaws on my tent
>> The shelter will not be returnable after it is used. The Haven Tarp
>> should be fine. Looking at the image it just appears that there are
>> some loose threads that were not snipped off after being sewn, if you
>> snip those off the problem will be solved. The Haven NetTent can be
>> returned for repair or exchange. We will look at the issue more
>> closely once we get the shelter in.
>> Please use the RMA code 2013-0502A Include a note that says that
>> you are sending the shelter back due to some small holes.
>> Thank you,
>> Brandon Moak
>> Six Moon Designs
>> Innovative Ultralight Adventure Gear
>>> Hi Brandon,
>>> I am still waiting for your instructions... I am thinking I should
>>> get a replacement for both the Tarp and NetTent.
>>> They are still brand new. But I probably need to use them this weekend.
>>> it ok for replacement after I use them?
>>> Please let me know how to proceed.
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
>>> Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:42 AM
>>> To: Yang Lu
>>> Subject: Re: Six Moon Designs: A couple flaws on my tent
>>> I am replying so that you can send photos.
>>> Thank you,
>>> Brandon Moak
>>> Six Moon Designs
>>> Innovative Ultralight Adventure Gear www.sixmoondesigns.com
>>>> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ from:
>>>> Yang Lu
>>>> Hi, I received the Haven Tarp and Tent, Order #10483. I set it up
>>>> today and noticed a couple flaws. One bigger issue is there are a
>>>> few small holes on the net; also the stitching is not very clean.
>>>> Can you reply me so that I can send you the photos?