Forum Index » Chaff » RIP, Hysson

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
RIP, Hysson on 05/28/2013 21:51:08 MDT Print View

The other end of dog ownership from that cute puppy who chews up your furniture, digs up your lawn sprinkler and piddles on your carpet:

My beloved backpacking buddy Hysson died peacefully in my arms this morning after making serious inroads on the vet clinic's dog biscuits. He was in remission from lymphoma for almost 4 months, on prednisone. This is double the average remission time on pred, so I've been doubly blessed--first with 10 1/2 years of unconditional love, and then with an extra two months at the end. He went out of remission over the weekend and I had to make the hard decision before he started suffering seriously. Canine lymphoma is a truly nasty disease to die from, and, for reasons not yet discovered, is quite rampant in Golden Retrievers (Hysson is 1/4 Golden). I wasn't about to let him suffer the effects of that!

Here he is in Wyoming's Wind Rivers:In Marm's Lake, Wind River Range, WY

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/28/2013 21:51:55 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/28/2013 21:58:38 MDT Print View

So saddened to hear of your loss Mary. It's hard.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
So sorry on 05/28/2013 22:28:06 MDT Print View

Mary that is terrible. Our dog died a month ago and there is still a hole in my heart from her loss. You have my deepest sympathies.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
RIP, Hysson on 05/28/2013 22:38:22 MDT Print View

Hi Mary,
Sorry to hear that, I know how fond you were of Hysson.
I cried for weeks when I had to put Pip (my cat) down because of liver failure (18+) a bit more than a year after I had to do the same with her mother Lucy.(21 plus)
Like you I did not want to see them suffer.
It takes time to get over it.
Franco

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 07:06:28 MDT Print View

Dear Mary,

What a beautiful boy. My heart is heavy at this news. He is resting in peace now, may you reside in the warmth of fond memories of your faithful friend.

Doug

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 08:11:53 MDT Print View

Hysson was so fortunate to have you as his Mom, Mary.

I am sorry for your loss. Looks like there's a ton of great memories, thank goodness.

Todd

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 09:00:59 MDT Print View

My thoughts are with you. I'm going to hug my cat right now.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 09:05:48 MDT Print View

Oh, Mary, I am so sorry! I've been following along with your mentions of Hysson's progress, and am sad to hear that things went bad over the weekend. Had to smile about your mention of "making serious inroads" into the doggie biscuit supply, though. A friend's dachshund had as his last meal a roll of toilet paper - his very favorite, and normally prohibited - before taking the final trip to the vet's.

When I read your post, I was reminded of something we saw this weekend; our hike took us past Eugene O'Neill's Tao House, and there is a lovely gravesite under an ancient walnut tree for their faithful Dalmation, Blemie. Posted next to it is a signboard with "The Last Will and Testament of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill," as written by Eugene O'Neill, on it:

http://www.eoneill.com/texts/blemie/contents.htm

If you have not read this before, I found it very eloquent and moving.

Debbie

Edited by dkramalc on 05/29/2013 09:23:52 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 11:32:16 MDT Print View

Aw Mary, I'm sooooo sorry!!!

My heart breaks for you :(

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/29/2013 12:14:51 MDT Print View

I'm sorry for your loss, Mary. It is a hard thing even if it's an easy decision not to let them suffer. My sympathies.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
RIP, Hysson on 05/30/2013 11:26:58 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear of his passing Mary. I lost my loved dog about 10 years ago to cancer, died when I got home from work. UC Davis gave him four more days of life.
Duane

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
RIP, Hysson on 05/30/2013 16:57:38 MDT Print View

Thank you all for your kind thoughts!

Please give your dogs a hug from me!

Cats, too!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/30/2013 20:18:14 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: RIP, Hysson on 05/30/2013 17:44:56 MDT Print View

Oh I am so sorry to read this :-( He was such a pretty pooch :-(

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
RIP Hysson on 05/31/2013 08:06:49 MDT Print View

Mary, I'll be thinking of you and your loss. I still recall each canine companion who's now gone - first with regret but later with thanks for the unconditional love I received for many years.

Richard

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: RIP, Hysson on 06/07/2013 20:45:48 MDT Print View

Mary,
I am so very sorry to hear about Hysson. Bennie and I had a great time hiking with you both in years past. He was a wonderful dog and will be missed.

Matt

bennie

bennie