Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Considering external frame

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Farrell
(mjf)

Locale: C.A
Re: nice on 07/05/2013 10:49:12 MDT Print View

Josh,
That came out great. Light and can comfortably carry any load you may wish to carry. My frame ships on the 8th. It will be fun to try different pack bags and setups.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Considering external frame on 07/05/2013 11:18:14 MDT Print View

I wonder how much weight you are really saving by strapping things to the frame instead of using the original pack bag, and how much efficiency you are losing.

When I use a pack I judge it by how easy it is to live out of. I got rid of two popular UL packs because it was a pain to live out of them. One thing about externals is they are really easy to live out of.

You may want to check my gear lists on two trips I took within the last year using only old gear. By today's standards both set ups would be considered lightweight. Lists are at the end of each article.

Kelty D4

Kelty Serac

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: Considering external frame on 07/11/2013 09:38:26 MDT Print View

"I wonder how much weight you are really saving by strapping things to the frame instead of using the original pack bag, and how much efficiency you are losing."

well the original pack body that came with it is much heavier than the drysack being used. Also K2 used really big zippers on this pack my buckles are much lighter. As for efficiency. with the old set up i could not access anything while the back pack was on my back. now I can remove the small daypack with out removing my pack and access snacks lighter knives water treatment. The other pack body only had two external pockets on the back and these would not be easier to access with the pack off than the day pack either....Packing up takes almost no time I grab the sack and start stuffing everything in and then two buckles to attach it. But I imagine that some might not like a top loader and want a Large zipper to run all the way around their pack to open like a suit case. Ill try and weigh the difference when I get a chance.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Considering external frame on 08/11/2013 10:04:38 MDT Print View

To answer your first question, yes I have gone back to an external. Well it's my first time actually, since I only got into backpacking a few years ago.

I picked up 2 Jansport scouts on Craigslist for $30 total. After taking the top two bars off, it ways 3lbs. The same as my internal weighs and it cost me over $150!

My first trip with the external was last weekend, and it was great! I don't think I'll be going back for quite some time. It had a bit more volume than I need, so I'll be playing with some alternative ways to attach my gear.

You mentioned needing to take a separate day pack, why not bring a slightly larger day pack and use that as your main pack body? I think this is what I'm going to try next trip. I have a packable pack that just might work.

With a total day 1 TH weight of about 25lbs. There is no way I would be comfortable with a frameless at this point.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Speaking of External Frame... on 08/11/2013 11:58:01 MDT Print View

No experience, but always intrigued by LuxuryLite's external pack -- a bit on the unconventional side. How many here use it?

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Considering external frame" on 08/11/2013 13:23:28 MDT Print View

I use the Luxury Lite frame with a GG Mariposa strapped on in place of the cylinders that LL also sells. Works great. I couldn't get used to the cylinders but I didn't give them much of a chance. I think that this set up weighs 2 1/2 lbs. Very, very comfortable, with the weight entirely on my hips. Maybe the best point is that this frame carries a bear canister really well--on the little flange on the bottom.