Forum Index » Gear Swap » Scammer on Gear Swap board

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: payments by MO on 06/13/2013 12:45:34 MDT Print View

In got scammed twice on ebay, once about 10 years ago and once 2 years ago, neither Paypal nor ebay woudl help out as it was outside the 60 day complaint period.

Since then I have only bought from ebay if I cannot get the it anywhere else.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: WTB ads on 06/13/2013 12:49:05 MDT Print View

>>There are SO many of these. For $30 items that are in stock. I get tired of wading through them

I would rather get a used item, knowing that the previous owner was not using it, than buy a new item. It's not about trying to get something for cheap, it's about trying to recycle a bit instead of letting detritus accumulate in people's closets. I'm sure others are the same way.

Jennifer Stephenson
(JourneyAbout)

Locale: Midwest
Paypal is not enough... on 06/17/2013 07:17:28 MDT Print View

Sadly, Paypal is not enough these days. I recently purchased a $35 item though a very professional looking website. I trusted it because I could use Paypal to pay for my item. Unfortunately, the scammer purchased an online USPS mailing label with no delivery confirmation yet did not ship the item. A few weeks went by with no response from the seller. So, when we filed a Paypal complaint, Paypal sided with the seller because he had proof of shipment even though he never actually put the item in the mail. Bah! I'm just glad it was only $35.

D S
(smoke) - F
Paypal not as great as some think! on 06/17/2013 12:42:19 MDT Print View

If you use Paypal to buy an item that's "used", you're pretty much screwed if you have issues with the condition of the item. That's my biggest issue with buying off any forum, BPL included.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Paypal is not enough... on 06/17/2013 16:35:52 MDT Print View

Interesting. PayPal used to require sellers to ship via a method with delivery confirmation. Has that changed?

I know I typically only accept Paypal gift payments for shipping internationally if the buyer isn't willing to pay the astronomical costs to ship priority.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Paypal is not enough... on 06/17/2013 19:11:47 MDT Print View

I have never had a problem with PayPal and have had 3 items reimbursed. Getting the money back wasn't super fast. Of course one needs to be a smart buyer. If I am unfamiliar with a seller, I usually use a credit card because I can cancel the payment if I get ripped-off.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Paypal is not enough... on 06/17/2013 19:21:35 MDT Print View

"I usually use a credit card because I can cancel the payment if I get ripped-off."

+1

I use a "net only" card for stuff.
I can cancel payment with one phone call.
If my card gets hacked my "personal card" doesn't suffer.

Edited by greg23 on 06/17/2013 19:24:03 MDT.

Doug Wolfe
(Wolfie2nd) - F
Re: scam on Tarptent SS2 on 06/23/2013 09:04:33 MDT Print View

Randy Worth is a solid dude I've done probably 1000$ worth of sales and trades with him off mountain project. Never had a trade or sale go bad. And actually I traded him my ss2 for some cams maybe 2 years ago. Figured I throw that our there