Forum Index » Gear Swap » Scammer on Gear Swap board

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: scam on 05/26/2013 10:58:25 MDT Print View

PayPal non-gift is the way to go. It covers both parties for fraud and charge backs.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Re: scam on 05/26/2013 11:15:38 MDT Print View

I send PayPal gift if the seller has a decent posting history on Bpl (not just on gear swap) if the person does not I will send Non gift.

Dustin Smith
(dsmith87) - M

Locale: Bethesda, MD
Stock photos on 05/26/2013 12:06:16 MDT Print View

He initially sent me stock photos and I didn't think much of it. I've seen people do it on here before. Only after I initially get uncomfortable with the money order did I ask him for a real pic. Sadly didn't think to ask for a newspaper even though I'd seen it done. I'd just grown to trust people through this site. After he sent the photo and I wasn't able to find it on google pics I had my fears calmed a bit. And then I analyzed Franco's pics a but more and realized he had used one of them that I wasn't able to find. At least Cody was able to cancel the money order once I got ahold of him.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
x on 05/26/2013 12:13:59 MDT Print View

Once you start dealing with total internet strangers you will get screwed.Even though most here are or were total strangers with one another there is a history you can review and people have submitted personal credit card info to become members so there is less anonymity.The seller isnt a member here so that is a huge red flag.

I hope Dustin gets his money back.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: x on 05/26/2013 13:08:10 MDT Print View

My dog was once sent a credit card in the mail.

Having a credit card does not suddenly mean you are ethical, nor does having a membership (I had mine for 6 years). The key take away is pay by Paypal only and not the gift option to be fully a protected.

I hope you get your tent or cash back.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: scam on 05/26/2013 14:04:18 MDT Print View

"Sad to see there is that kind of thing here. Hope you get some resolution."

My understanding is that the alleged scammer (Park) is NOT a BPL member -- or at least not a poster here on this forum. OP (Dustin) posted this warning to alert and provide us with a name and an email addy because this person apparently has had contact with at least one other forum member.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Scammer on Gear Swap board on 05/26/2013 14:06:15 MDT Print View

It's generally not a good idea to buy something from someone who only has a few posts.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
..... on 05/26/2013 14:34:41 MDT Print View

Edited by johnk on 05/26/2013 22:08:45 MDT.

Dustin Smith
(dsmith87) - M

Locale: Bethesda, MD
Nuance on 05/26/2013 19:31:20 MDT Print View

Just wanted to make people aware that I'm pretty sure the scammer is targeting WTB threads where the OP posts to contact them by email. Since it doesn't appear that he's a member this would be the only way he could run his scam. Not to discourage anyone to make such a thread as I know some hate the PM system but figured I would make everyone aware.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
The End is Near on 05/26/2013 20:44:15 MDT Print View

The end is near first Balls and Sunshine get ripped off, then Dustin.

Second look at lynchings anyone?

John Vogel
(johnv2002) - M

Locale: East Bay
Scam is scam on 05/26/2013 20:59:40 MDT Print View

Just goes to show that if it doesn't feel right. It isn't Trust your gut, ignore the need or want. Sorry you are dealing with this. Perhaps you will get lucky and the tent shows up

But don't give up on your fellow man....I have personally stuck cash in an envelope and mailed it to folks on of all things, a Craigslist add....and the product still showed up. I bought my bear canister and trekking poles this way just last month. I don't know, maybe I just have dumb luck...or is just dumb, I don't know.

I have had nothing but good experiences buying from the members on this
forum....maybe we can start a fund to help you replace your lost money, i know it sucks to get robbed. Now that I think about, how about you pm or email me your address, I will donate a 20 to start it off

JP Hiker
(Dustkicker)
an idea on 05/26/2013 21:06:08 MDT Print View

I've been on other boards that the moderators had the option of making a topic a "sticky" where the post remained at the top of the other posts. I was wondering if there was a way this could remain towards the top. So, others could be made aware of shady characters.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Cover yourself on 06/11/2013 12:49:28 MDT Print View

I've been scammed so many times on ebay, that I am always leary of buying something that I cannot walk out of a store with it in my hand.

That being said, I cannot walk into my local walmart and get the gear I am looking for. And the best prices are always on used gear here on BPL.

Before I buy anything, I always check and see their profile. They need to be active on a regular basis. It is helpful if they post in multiple forums besides Gear Swap, but not necessary as long as they have a track record of selling, with no bad comments or feedback.

Also, I never send cash, check, money order. Paypal only. If it is a small item, that I don't mind losing my money on, I don't mind doing the gift option. But if it is anything I would be upset if I got scammed over, I do Paypal standard.

I've passed on a lot of deals here in the past few months, just because I did not feel comfortable(new members posting thousands of dollars of gear for sale, or someone not active for many years, all of the sudden has half a dozen big ticket items up for sale). Not saying they are scammers, I'm just not comfortable with the situation. So, I pass and hope the next one works out.

BPL is a great resource and it is a shame that scammers have to steal from us instead of actually contributing.

Jim H
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Local in-person sales? on 06/11/2013 16:06:20 MDT Print View

I've never bought and sold on gearswap here, but I've done lots of furniture/tools via Craigslist and bought/sold firearms via online classifieds, where you need to meet in person for the transaction to take place. I much prefer this scenario for big ticket items, where I can inspect the item before handing over money. Just wondering whether anyone ever sets up in-person sales rather than via mail? Or is it that there sin't quite enough supply/demand to warrant local sub-forums for used UL gear?

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
In lieu of face to face... on 06/11/2013 17:14:33 MDT Print View

Get on the phone w/ the seller.

If there's any doubt, any suspicion, have a real conversation, on the phone [the old fashioned way!].

C'mon people, take a big breath and step THRU that Veil of Anonymity the internet provides, step back in time, and have a phone chat. This would allow you to ask the seller plenty of questions about the item, detailed ones especially, and the item's history, and so on. If the seller's motives are unpure, don'tcha think you could gather enough clues in a brief phone call quiz?

We all still know how to get on the phone don't we?
And we all have instincts & common sense right?
Just sayin...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: In lieu of face to face... on 06/11/2013 18:32:59 MDT Print View

Someone Pm'd me about an item I had for sale last week and asked could we talk on the phone, I called him and spent 30 minutes chatting with him and told him he needed a different product :-)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
In lieu of face to face... on 06/11/2013 18:54:59 MDT Print View

I've sold a few un-needed items, helped me get gear I can use, glad I could sell the gear as it was not being used.
Unrelated to selling. I joined a bp trip to Alaska a few years ago, no one knew of me, I called the organizer and had a 15 minute chat with him, no bragging, just mentioned my years being out, he had no issues. Some of the other folks were wondering about me as I had a few questions, of course, I'd never been to Alaska, I'm going to have questions.
Duane

JJ W
(H2Oboy)

Locale: Midwest
Keeping this one current.... on 06/12/2013 23:12:15 MDT Print View

Just want to keep this post on top to make sure everyone is aware of, and watching out for, this scumbag.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
WTB ads on 06/13/2013 11:34:38 MDT Print View

There are SO many of these. For $30 items that are in stock. I get tired of wading through them to see what's for sale, so .... maybe this will cut back on a few. At the very least if your WTB ad results in a non-member communique ... run, don't walk.

Guy Almodovar
(sparky357) - F

Locale: USA
payments by MO on 06/13/2013 12:24:45 MDT Print View

I am getting to the point myself of not paying anyone unless it is Pay-pal. I always list my phone number for the seller to contact me if needed. Surprisingly many do not call. Small ticket items I don't mind but large ones I look at history on the seller. How long has he been a member, feedback if available if not another site that feedback can be verified. I have been on line buying and selling personal items for about 10 years and so far so good. I imagine one day I will get scammed but not yet. Anyway I hope you guys get your item or money back. Good day.