Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I think I got my Wonderland Trail permit aproved!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
I think I got my Wonderland Trail permit aproved! on 05/23/2013 17:29:17 MDT Print View

I had been lagging on getting my application in and found out that the campsites had been pretty booked up this summer. I spend a while going over possible itineraries and the "available camps on the WT" document" I faxed in my application two days ago and today I got billed for

CHECKCARD 05/23 MT RAINIER WILD RESERV ASHFORD WA -20.00

so I'm hoping that this is a sign that I'm being approved for my route.

Day 1:
Longmire to North Puyallup River.
17.6 miles
Day 2:
North Puyallup River to South Mowich River.
11.8 miles
Day 3:
South Mowich River to Mystic Camp.
16.8 miles
Day 4:
Mystic Camp to White River.
12.7 miles
Day 5:
White River to Nickel Creek.
17.6 miles
Day 6:
Nickel Creek to Paradise River.
11.0 miles
Day 7:
Paradise River to Longmire.
5.5 miles

I'm not sure if I'll want to just hike out and head home on day 6 or if I'll want to camp another night and have a short day in the morning.

-Loki

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Sounds likely on 05/23/2013 17:40:13 MDT Print View

They billed me a week or so before I received my approved itinerary in the mail so I'd say it sounds promising for sure.

Considering that they have the following on their website, I'd say you lucked out:

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-camping-and-hiking.htm

May 14, 2013: Attempting to reserve camps to hike the entire Wonderland Trail, or a large part of it, is no longer possible for trips starting between July 13 and September 25. See the FULL CAMPS list below. The number of applications for the Wonderland Trail are unprecedented this season.

I'm going the first week in August. When are you going?

Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Careful planning on 05/23/2013 19:36:52 MDT Print View

Ian - I read that disclaimer and that's where I found the list of booked camp sites.

I carefully chose all of my camps on my itinerary to be open. I was stoked to find a good 6 day with a max of 17.6 miles. I think a few camps might not be the best choice, but I'd take that over not getting to do the WT.

This will be the 1 year anniversary from my first backpacking trip.

The trip is 8/5-8/11

-Loki

Edited by lokbot on 05/23/2013 19:38:37 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Careful planning on 05/23/2013 22:50:43 MDT Print View

Every year the talk of the Wonderland makes me want to do it again.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Careful planning on 05/24/2013 07:15:10 MDT Print View

Hi Jeffs 11,

Based on your experience, do you think shepherd stakes are ok for the WT campsites or would ground hogs be a better choice?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Re: Re: Re: Careful planning on 05/25/2013 11:54:50 MDT Print View

The ground is pretty firm, I bet shepherds would be ok. I don't have a lot of experience with them. I carry ground hogs all the time for my main peg points.

But the ground is firm so...

Mike Bozman
(myarmisonfire) - M

Locale: BC
Wonderland trail on 05/25/2013 14:56:44 MDT Print View

Several weeks ago I was in your shoes seeing that the NPS had charged $20 to my credit card. Unfortunately when I got my permit letter in the mail they had changed the dates for my hike and their dates will not work for me. I do remember seeing a section on the application about date flexibility; which I did not fill out. At least I am out only $20. Hope your luck is better!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

sorry-nothing to say on 05/26/2013 18:23:28 MDT Print View

This isn't the post you're looking for.

Edited by WoodenWizard on 05/26/2013 18:30:31 MDT.