November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Urlacher
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp on 05/22/2013 06:22:06 MDT Print View

I want to ditch my bivy this summer and just go with my mid tarp, and I'm concerned about bugs. I camp in high elevation Colorado Rockies so bugs aren't a huge concern, I just mostly want to keep the skeeters out. I use a Sil MLD SoloMid.

As far as adding bug mesh, what's the best way of attaching it? I was thinking of just gluing it on with seam sealer or the like. Is this acceptable? I'm not really comfortable with sewing, especially trying to mod a relatively expensive piece of gear. I know I could always mail it back to MLD and have them do it, but I'm cheap.

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp on 05/22/2013 06:39:54 MDT Print View

You asked for the BEST way so....

... sew it :( Sorry! I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Gluing will probably end up sloppier, heavier, and may come apart easier. I get not being comfortable sewing, but since Noseeum doesn't unravel, it would be an easy (I know it's relative) add-on.

Good luck and let us know what you end up trying.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp on 05/22/2013 08:06:35 MDT Print View

Hand sew with big looping overcast stitches along the edge. Maybe 3-4 per inch. Use a fairly small needle. It will go fast and will be very easy to remove if you change your mind.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp on 05/22/2013 11:16:49 MDT Print View

If you have access to a sewing machine I suggest you try it out on some scrap material. Sewing a non-critical straight seam, as for sewing in the bug netting, is about as easy a thing as I can imagine, far easier than gluing it in.

Give it a try, you might be delightfully surprised. I was.