Forum Index » GEAR » Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 00:40:21 MDT Print View

Sometimes I could use the help. This community has been great. Ideas on the trail!?

TJ

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 01:02:26 MDT Print View

Ordinary sleeping pills will work, but they can suppress respiration somewhat. If you happen to be at high elevation, that's not a very good thing. So, I sometimes carry the mildest pills that are still effective for me, and that is Melatonin 3mg, which is a standard OTC medicine.

Normally I am so tired that I fall asleep without any help.

--B.G.--

Matt Purnell
(Treefern)

Locale: Brisbane
Stilnox on 05/22/2013 04:20:33 MDT Print View

I sometimes take Zolpidem. I experience no drowsiness in the morning compared with benzodiazepines. To avoid dependency I never use it for more than 3 consecutive nights.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 05:04:26 MDT Print View

Generally, no. Once in a while, I will want a heavier sleep than is normal, like the first night out on occasion, or, if I am excited about tomorrows hike/planning a long push (25-30mi) the next day. I take a tylenol PM with supper (~1900 or so.) I cannot say I ever woke up with any type of drugged hangover. (But, I am soo logy in the morning that I doubt I would notice anyway...before the first cup of coffee I am like a walking zombie.)

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Sleep aid on 05/22/2013 06:08:29 MDT Print View

Melatonin, especially in winter to help pass the long nights

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Sleep aid on 05/22/2013 06:16:12 MDT Print View

I take a hammock.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sleep aid on 05/22/2013 06:19:11 MDT Print View

The hammock performs wonders. +1

Other than that I just sleep.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Sleep aid on 05/22/2013 07:06:02 MDT Print View

The first few nights that I'm in grizzly country, I have a bit of trouble getting to sleep. A couple of 25 mg generic Benedryl tablets do the trick (diphenhydramide, a mild antihistamine).

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Meds to fall asleep....WWJMD on 05/22/2013 08:20:54 MDT Print View

What Would John Muir Do?

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Sleep aid on 05/22/2013 08:43:42 MDT Print View

I have to take allergy medication anyways so +1 Benadryl for me.

I've been a lighter sleeper since I've had kids. Things that go bump in the night is normally a 9 y/o stumbling to the bathroom with the flu etc so it doesn't take much to wake me up.

Hiking to exhaustion doesn't work for me. I'll usually wake up 6 or so times every evening without a sleep aid regardless of the day's events. When I was spending a 1-3 weeks every month in the woods, my subconscious was used to the noises and I had no problem sleeping. Now I'm lucky to go backpacking twice a month so it's harder for me to find quality sleep out there.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 08:49:28 MDT Print View

I usually take Tylenol PM because I'm a little sore anyway. I sleep a little better when I do that, I tend to toss and turn and wake up a lot if I don't take it.

At home my wife sometimes takes melatonin. I've taken it a couple of times when I've had trouble falling asleep and it really knocks me out and I don't wake up much during the night.

Adam

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 08:54:19 MDT Print View

The thought of taking medication to sleep never occurred to me.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 08:56:46 MDT Print View

I need something that will put me to sleep right away,
allow me to sleep soundly for 4 hours,
then wake me up instantly with no grogginess or other side effects.

do any of these solutions work for just 4 hours ?

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 08:58:36 MDT Print View

The only time I have trouble falling asleep is when my nose is stopped up for some reason. Mouth breathing is torture, especially when it's cold. So Benadryl is the go-to solution. It only takes one pill--I could probably get by with a half or quarter--to really knock me out. I can never take the stuff during the day.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 09:05:27 MDT Print View

+1 on the Melatonin; nature’s hormone. It’s a little less harmful than other drugs.

And a few times, if I need a knock out and curb some muscle pain, the Tylenol PM (Vitamin T) does wonders for me.

Even if I go out every weekend, the first night out is antsy for me. I’m not sure why. It could be I’m with a different group of people and that causes me anxieties. Or the anxiety could be from unfamiliarity with the trail I’m tackling.

May everyone have a good night’s rest.
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 09:09:19 MDT Print View

Like Nick, it has never occurred to me to take medication to sleep. Having said that, I often use ear plugs which seem to help stabilize my breathing and help me fall asleep.

I have a hiking buddy who takes Tylenol PM. We were once caught in an unexpected fall snow storm, each using tarps as shelters. I spent most of the night banging snow off the walls. He spent the night sound asleep as I (ME!) banged the snow off his walls. Suffocation sucks.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Not usually a problem for me, but... on 05/22/2013 10:00:22 MDT Print View

...that's 'cause I use an hammock.

If I was really having trouble? 44 ml of a 90% ethanol/10% dihydrodgen monoxide solution, taken orally with one glass of water, will usually do the trick. ;)

Lapsley Hope
(Laps) - M
sleep on 05/22/2013 11:04:17 MDT Print View

Hammock + Advil PM.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Sleep aids- Soft bed and free breathing! on 05/22/2013 11:06:25 MDT Print View

Full-length Thermarest 40'th Anniversary pad (2" thick), a pillow of some sort, and Breath-Rite strips on my nose help a lot.

I have used Benedryl when I really wanted a solid sleep. It works well and was in my first aid supplies. I find that 1/2 a pill does the job and doesn't leave me very drowsy the next morning. A full pill makes me quite groggy in the morning.

I think it's best to use drugs as a last resort, after first addressing other issues such as comfort, relaxation, etc. More coffee than my usual 2 cups or caffeine after mid-morning often affects my sleep that night. If I drink alcohol I go to sleep just fine but often wake up at 2:00 AM

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Take any meds to fall asleep after a medium size hiking day? on 05/22/2013 12:21:39 MDT Print View

"I need something that will put me to sleep right away,
allow me to sleep soundly for 4 hours,"

Art, that is why I have taken Melatonin a few times. It seems to have the effect of putting me to sleep starting about a half-hour after I take it. But then the effect seems to wear off within two hours, at least for me.

--B.G.--