Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Very different valve for inflatable mats/ rafts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
Very different valve for inflatable mats/ rafts on 05/20/2013 22:01:30 MDT Print View

Just came upon this on kickstarter and it looks like it could have some good potential, especially in reducing the size of the inflation bag in mats/ packrafts. Unfortunately the overall product they are selling is heavy and not particularly impressive (1.5 lb for a mat with an r of 1).

Has anyone seen something like this before?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1484284472/windcatcher-inflates-in-seconds-with-no-power-or-p

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Very different valve for inflatable mats/ rafts on 05/20/2013 22:15:49 MDT Print View

the same "puff" trick is used to make it possible to easily use smaller inflato sacks for packrafts.
he has developed a very effective demo bag.

thank you !
v..

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Very different valve for inflatable mats/ rafts on 05/20/2013 22:25:11 MDT Print View

Car campers will probably like it but here a 24oz R1 mat is not all that exiting.
get a Neo Air X Lite at half that weight (3x warmer) add to it 2 or 3 oz for their stuff sack/pump or the battery operated Mini Pump and you are in business.
The TR stuff sack/pump as well as the Instaflator and the type that comes with the Alpacka raft use the same principle so maybe not as fast but similar .

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Very different valve for inflatable mats/ rafts on 05/21/2013 19:31:08 MDT Print View

Looks good, but it sure looks a lot like the instaflator (http://www.themillair.com/index.html) but as an integrated unit. I wonder if anyone has a patent on this sort of thing?

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Instaflator, with a flap valve on 05/22/2013 07:04:58 MDT Print View

I think that kid's got something there, and that we will see it on products in the future. I don't think the "air bag" is the patentable feature, but it may be part of a system. Certainly, there's prior art on the bag concept, albeit maybe without patent protection.

Notably, it appears his patentable valve (which appears to be a flap, or flutter, valve to contain air in the bag, looks to be made of the same materials as the sleeping pad. His current set up is too heavy for backpacking, but that's now. It looks suitable for car-camping gear, and for "Walmart quality" gear already -- and I see a huge market for that speed and simplicity in car camping gear and Chinese speed-manufactured stuff.

The beauty of that valve is that he doesn't have to fill a huge tunnel and then squeeze it in to inflate, but only that short section. Very cool.

J C
(Joomy) - M
schnozzel on 05/22/2013 08:00:54 MDT Print View

Isn't that basically what a schnozzel does for an Exped mat? You blow rapidly into it, it inflates fully and then inflates the mat after like 3 breaths. I think the real interesting part of this design is the valve, but is it necessary seeing as the very basic schnozzel works so well?

Edited by Joomy on 05/22/2013 08:02:03 MDT.