Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Exped Synmat UL 7 felt "cool" under hips at 5-8 deg C
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Over or under? on 05/25/2013 06:45:10 MDT Print View

If camped on snow amd I put a lot of pressure on one point on the downpad UL (say with an elbow or knee) I can feel the cold coming through if I don't use a ccf underneath.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Over or under? on 05/25/2013 19:20:02 MDT Print View

"If camped on snow amd I put a lot of pressure on one point on the downpad UL (say with an elbow or knee) I can feel the cold coming through if I don't use a ccf underneath."

That makes sense with a Down filled mat since the down fills the entire baffle, so when you compress it it's just like compressing a down jacket - less loft = less warm. But with the Synmats since the insulation is only like 1" thick (or something) and laminated to the inside of the mat, you'd have to compress it a lot to compress the insulation layer.

Edited by Joomy on 05/25/2013 19:24:25 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Over or under? on 05/25/2013 20:24:59 MDT Print View

I have never noticed it with the Synmat but have only ever used it well above 0c.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Exped Synmat UL 7 felt "cool" under hips at 5-8 deg C" on 05/25/2013 21:53:36 MDT Print View

I just came back from four nights using a Synmat UL7 in temperatures into the mid 20's F with no problems. I blow it up very firm.

I use a Gossamer Gear thin pad--whatever their thinnest is, I forget now--beneath my Synmat more for protection from sharp objects like pine cone prickles than for warmth. Still, this may add a bit of r value.