Forum Index » GEAR » long, foldable spoon or spork

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/19/2013 21:18:47 MDT Print View

Hi,

I have a long (~8") titanium spoon I like very much, however, it does not fit inside my pot. Can anyone suggest a reliable folding spoon or spork which, when extended, is also long? The only one I found was the MSR folding spoon--which had some complaints about it being fragile and easy to break.

Thanks,

rhz

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/19/2013 22:04:56 MDT Print View

I find them less than satisfactory. I keep a long (8.5") Sea to Summit Alpha anodized aluminum spoon in my food bag. Plus it cleans up easier than Ti or Lexan. Weight is 11 grams. I like the curved bottom of the spoon -- easy to get all the food out of the bottom of a freezer bag without making a mess.

alpha spoon

Edited by ngatel on 05/19/2013 22:22:33 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: long spoon on 05/19/2013 22:18:09 MDT Print View

Just keep it somewhere else, like in the food bag or canister.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Folding spoon options on 05/19/2013 22:20:21 MDT Print View

It looks like MSR and REI make some:

REI folding spoon

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Folding Spoon on 05/19/2013 22:35:16 MDT Print View

I had the same problem with fit and am currently using the MSR folding spoon. It lasted through a recent week long trip and fits nicely inside of my caldera fosters pot. After loosing my last pricy long spoon I decided to go with something cheaper that I'll probably never loose (just because it's cheap). Now if I can keep from breaking it all will be well.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
DIY? on 05/19/2013 22:41:46 MDT Print View

You can always DIY with a plastic spoon, Popsicle stick and duck tape.

Mike

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: long spoon on 05/19/2013 22:42:43 MDT Print View

Yeah, I did that on my last trip, and it was OK. I did prefer to keep my utensil and pot/mug in the same place to stay organized, but the food bag is not a terrible solution.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
trail designs folding spoon on 05/19/2013 22:43:50 MDT Print View

http://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/folding-titanium-spork

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/20/2013 05:55:59 MDT Print View

I'm not aware of anyone making a longer folding spoon. Store your spoon elsewhere as others mentioned, or rearrange your meals to using a short spoon (not likely if you like your setup).

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
Nick Gatel - what bag is that? on 05/20/2013 08:07:03 MDT Print View

Nick,
What bag is that in the picture.

Thanks

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Nick Gatel - what bag is that? on 05/20/2013 09:01:31 MDT Print View

It is a Ziplock "Zip 'n Steam" microwave cooking bag. It is designed to cook food, whereas as a freezer bag is really only designed to store frozen food. Weighs 7g vs. 6g for a 1 quart freezer bag. There is a small vent at the top of the back of the bag, so you need to be a little careful anew keep the back upright when heating your food.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Breakdown spork on 05/20/2013 09:14:01 MDT Print View

I had the same dilemma. My solution was to turn my Snow Peak ti spork into a breakdown. I cut the handle short enough to fit in my pot. I then cut the handle off a lexan spoon and slid on a 1.5" long piece of water filter hose over the small end. At camp, I just slide the ti handle of the spork into the piece of hose and whola! A long handled spork!

Brett Ayer
(bfayer)

Locale: Virginia
Re: Folding spoon options on 05/20/2013 10:44:56 MDT Print View

I have both the MSR folding spork, and the REI folding set.

The REI set is longer and has the side benefit of also being a set of chopsticks.

I like the REI spark for my jet boil.