November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
long, foldable spoon or spork
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/19/2013 21:18:47 MDT Print View

I have a long (~8") titanium spoon I like very much, however, it does not fit inside my pot. Can anyone suggest a reliable folding spoon or spork which, when extended, is also long? The only one I found was the MSR folding spoon--which had some complaints about it being fragile and easy to break.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/19/2013 22:04:56 MDT Print View

I find them less than satisfactory. I keep a long (8.5") Sea to Summit Alpha anodized aluminum spoon in my food bag. Plus it cleans up easier than Ti or Lexan. Weight is 11 grams. I like the curved bottom of the spoon -- easy to get all the food out of the bottom of a freezer bag without making a mess.

alpha spoon

Edited by ngatel on 05/19/2013 22:22:33 MDT.

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: long spoon on 05/19/2013 22:18:09 MDT Print View

Just keep it somewhere else, like in the food bag or canister.

Mike In Socal
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Folding spoon options on 05/19/2013 22:20:21 MDT Print View

It looks like MSR and REI make some:

REI folding spoon

Don A.
(amrowinc) - M

Folding Spoon on 05/19/2013 22:35:16 MDT Print View

I had the same problem with fit and am currently using the MSR folding spoon. It lasted through a recent week long trip and fits nicely inside of my caldera fosters pot. After loosing my last pricy long spoon I decided to go with something cheaper that I'll probably never loose (just because it's cheap). Now if I can keep from breaking it all will be well.

Mike In Socal
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
DIY? on 05/19/2013 22:41:46 MDT Print View

You can always DIY with a plastic spoon, Popsicle stick and duck tape.

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: long spoon on 05/19/2013 22:42:43 MDT Print View

Yeah, I did that on my last trip, and it was OK. I did prefer to keep my utensil and pot/mug in the same place to stay organized, but the food bag is not a terrible solution.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
trail designs folding spoon on 05/19/2013 22:43:50 MDT Print View

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: long, foldable spoon or spork on 05/20/2013 05:55:59 MDT Print View

I'm not aware of anyone making a longer folding spoon. Store your spoon elsewhere as others mentioned, or rearrange your meals to using a short spoon (not likely if you like your setup).

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
Nick Gatel - what bag is that? on 05/20/2013 08:07:03 MDT Print View

What bag is that in the picture.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Nick Gatel - what bag is that? on 05/20/2013 09:01:31 MDT Print View

It is a Ziplock "Zip 'n Steam" microwave cooking bag. It is designed to cook food, whereas as a freezer bag is really only designed to store frozen food. Weighs 7g vs. 6g for a 1 quart freezer bag. There is a small vent at the top of the back of the bag, so you need to be a little careful anew keep the back upright when heating your food.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Breakdown spork on 05/20/2013 09:14:01 MDT Print View

I had the same dilemma. My solution was to turn my Snow Peak ti spork into a breakdown. I cut the handle short enough to fit in my pot. I then cut the handle off a lexan spoon and slid on a 1.5" long piece of water filter hose over the small end. At camp, I just slide the ti handle of the spork into the piece of hose and whola! A long handled spork!

Brett Ayer

Locale: Virginia
Re: Folding spoon options on 05/20/2013 10:44:56 MDT Print View

I have both the MSR folding spork, and the REI folding set.

The REI set is longer and has the side benefit of also being a set of chopsticks.

I like the REI spark for my jet boil.