Forum Index » GEAR » W/B jackets and fragility

Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
The meaning of REI on 06/05/2013 17:10:34 MDT Print View

So much for Return Everything Indefinitely!

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
the meaning of REI on 06/05/2013 17:30:24 MDT Print View

I still have one year to Return Every Item.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: WPB jackets and fragility on 06/06/2013 00:17:25 MDT Print View

David Chenault's major reservation with his highly rated Rab Pulse Jacket was the kinked water repellent zipper. The one I received was also kinked. When I looked at the garment care symbols, I saw that after laundering they prohibited using a tumble dryer but, recommended using a hot iron. So, I set my iron to the synthetic fiber setting and ironed the kinked zipper a few times. Voila... no more kinks. My GUESS is that this technique could be used to taking the kinks (aka zips deforming) out of any water repellent zipper.

Edited by richard295 on 06/06/2013 00:18:38 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Storage on 06/06/2013 00:31:23 MDT Print View

I always keep my jacket gently folded up on the top of everything inside my pack, or in the back mesh pocket, I never put it in a stuff sack. I'm currently using a 12oz Arcteryx Alpha SL Hybrid that I think is awesome.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re; iron your zipper on 06/06/2013 07:46:41 MDT Print View

Nice trick Richard. I ended up replacing the zip on my Pulse to make life simpler. If I got one retail which was kinked like my pre-prod sample I'd insist on returning it.

My Pulse has held up fine, but as I use the Ozo more often it hasn't been subject to much abuse.

Using an iron to re-set DWR is a good trick to keep in mind. It can be more convenient than using a dryer.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: REI policy on 06/06/2013 08:28:20 MDT Print View

"I just returned 2 osprey packs that I've had for more than a few years"

A few years?? I assume they were unused? How do you return something that is years old?