Forum Index » GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: SUL pencil for JMT? on 05/16/2013 17:38:25 MDT Print View

"I have to talk tonight to the Chief Financial Officer about spending part of our tax return on a certain new pack. She was asking me yesterday about what I wanted for my birthday, so.....!"

I would tell her you can save significant money with your new UL Pencil solution... if we figure one out here :)

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was all this necessary in the gear section? on 05/16/2013 18:21:39 MDT Print View

"Whoa Justin, chill! Re-read the thread, all folks having fun and Nick must have too much time between trips."

I always feel bad when an ernest fellow or two gets caught in intricately woven tendrils of mock seriousness like those in this thread. However it is mildly entertaining. Online, without voice tones, sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference, and the secret password is how totally ridiculous the postings are. However, as ridiculous as it can get, you will still inevitably get someone like a (to be unnamed) previous poster that seemed furious someone hadn't stopped us. Priceless. On the other hand I have found the level of the mockudrama here is so high that someone is just as likely to post and pretend to be furious! So mocks within mocks.

Sorry Justin! Basically we are mocking each other, while at the same time mocking some of the more extreme practices of this cult. Except Nick. From what I can tell, either he is a tiny bit loopy, or he is sometimes so completely committed to character it is impossible to tell - kinda like the Borat of the BL forums.

And now all that remains is for some of you to post and inform me how *deadly* serious you have actually been all along, and we can start all over. LOL

I have to work in more or less semi-crisis mode all this month, and can't get out for an extended period of time (just when the real backpacking season is starting). This is one of my distractions and entertainments in the meantime. I know...sad.

Edited by millonas on 05/16/2013 18:38:45 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

and John Muir damn well DID use a pencil on the Trail!!! on 05/16/2013 18:41:35 MDT Print View

http://www.amazon.com/John-Mountains-Unpublished-Journals-Muir/dp/0299078841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368751179&sr=8-1&keywords=john+muir+journals

Muir's library in Martinez, CA is nearby. I will visit there an attempt to research the issue of what type of pencil he used on the trail. Perhaps it can be reproduced as a DIY. What better pencil to use on the JMT! I smell a potential new cottage industry here.

draw
John Muir Trail Drawing ^^^

Edit: Oh my God! I just remembered! John Muir WORKED in a pencil factory? Holey crap! It can't be a coincidence. Nick you are brilliant.

Edit 2: Oh damn, it was Thoreau that made pencils. Enlightenment, so close... and yet no cigar.

pencil
Pencil made by Thoreau ^^^

On the other hand, Thoreau was friends with Emerson, and Emerson visited Muir in CA before he died. Coincidence? You decide.

Edited by millonas on 05/16/2013 19:30:42 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: and John Muir damn well DID use a pencil on the Trail!!! on 05/16/2013 19:29:06 MDT Print View

During my comprehensive search for the perfect UL Pencil, I found the following were devotees of the Blackwing 602 Pencil; John Steinbeck, Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein and Chuck Jones (used them to create Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes characters).

It is rumored that Hemingway used Blackwings, but it has not been substantiated.

However, in "A Moveable Feast," Hemingway had this to say about the pencil:

I took out a notebook from the pocket of the coat and a pencil and started to write... A girl came in the cafe and sat by herself at a table near the window. She was very pretty with a face fresh as a newly minted coin... I watched the girl whenever I looked up, or when I sharpened the pencil with a pencil sharpener with the shavings curling into the saucer under my drink. I've seen you, beauty, and you belong to me now, whoever you are waiting for and if I never see you again, I thought. You belong to me and all Paris belongs to me and I belong to this notebook and this pencil.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Nick on 05/16/2013 19:57:24 MDT Print View

Seriously, you need a hike. :)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Nick on 05/16/2013 20:13:17 MDT Print View

"Seriously, you need a hike. :) "

Leaving tomorrow for a weekend trip, sans pencil.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: and John Muir damn well DID use a pencil on the Trail!!! on 05/16/2013 20:22:30 MDT Print View

It is rumored that Hemingway used Blackwings, but it has not been substantiated.

He may also have used a pencil but I know I saw a manual typewriter in his writing room when touring his Key West place. (great tour if you get the same tour guide we had ... story telling very reminiscent of Shelby Foote)

I doubt Hemingway could have written a better parody ... well done.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
The JMT and which Pencil on 05/17/2013 17:38:35 MDT Print View

Remember, Nick's request was for a JMT specific pencil, not a general backpacking pencil, a JMT PENCIL!!!

We're getting away from the JMT specific requirement.
The JMT is not the Uintas, Dolly Sods, Wind River.... The requirements are much different and the focus should be as such.

Many of us are not interested in general equipment, we only need to know about the JMT.

So please keep it on subject!!!

Edited by brooklynkayak on 12/04/2013 16:07:29 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: The JMT and which Pencil on 05/17/2013 17:43:29 MDT Print View

You probably would not want the JMT pencil to be the color of dirt, otherwise, you drop it on the trail and you might never find it. That's why I suggested that Nick paint them some distinctive color.

Another color to avoid would be the color of Nick's hair. If he painted them the same color as his hair, he might park the pencil above his ear and lose it completely.

A good color would be yellow-luminescent. At least you could find it at night without a flashlight.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 05/17/2013 17:44:28 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Don't use geen! on 05/17/2013 19:35:10 MDT Print View

Don't use Green florescent paint - too many algae gave there lives for that - morally repugnant.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 05/20/2013 23:22:56 MDT Print View

"Do pencils off-gas dangerous fumes? Anything I should be looking for?"

I have come to this question of the right pencil for the JMT late, and so much has been answered so well. However, the point about dangerous pencil fumes has not yet been addressed.

Yes, there are dangerous pencil fumes, and they can be clearly seen when wearing circularly polarized 3D glasses. To save weight the ear pieces can be left behind. The glasses may stay on if you scrunch your face real hard. Do not leave pencils exposed to direct sunlight. Keep them away from the stove when cooking. You'll be ok.

And, given your preference not to take electronic items, it would be better to leave your amber beads and amulets at home.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 12:08:33 MST Print View

Neophytes!

The obvious choice is the Classic Anello Titanium Propelling Pencil for a mere $395US.

Classic Anello Titanium propelling pencil with gleaming platinum-plated rings. Durable 0.7mm/B lead, a reservoir for spare leads and a replaceable eraser under the end cap. Spring-loaded clip.

http://shop.fabercastell.com/p/classic-anello-titanium-propelling-pencil

But pencils are for the weak at heart, lacking the confidence to use a pen. My Fisher all black bullet space pen is the writing instrument of the wanderer.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 12:27:45 MST Print View

"The obvious choice is the Classic Anello Titanium Propelling Pencil . . . ."

I don't know how to say this politely. A mechanical pencil is so déclassé, and this one is obviously priced to appeal to the nouveau riche. Por favor!

I agree, however, with your choice of the Fisher space pen with this one consideration: ditch the outer pen and carry the cartridge alone. Light!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 12:58:13 MST Print View

"....and this one is obviously priced to appeal to the nouveau riche. "

Do you think? I felt that way about the titanium Inka pen at $40, let alone this plaything for Wall Street pimps :)

As to writing with a bare cartridge, my southpaw handwriting is barely legible using a good ergonomic design on a stable surface, let alone scribbling on a pad propped on my knee or the palm of my hand. I went medical school, but I only made it through the handwriting course :)

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 14:09:53 MST Print View

"my southpaw handwriting is barely legible"

So?

If it doesn't matter for MDs, who are entrusted, from time to time, with our lives, it just doesn't matter.

But it's not just about you, Dale. It's about the JMT! The JMT does not care about penmanship (or pencilmanship). I asked.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 14:18:12 MST Print View

Pencils and pens are for the amateur, for those afraid of their own voices, insecure that their words will not stand the test of time.

Personally, I carry stonemason's tools and inscribe monoliths.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 14:26:56 MST Print View

I prefer a highly visible yellow golf pencil from some tacky miniature golf course in Kansas. Space Pens can run out of ink, you know. You can sharpen a golf pencil with your teeth...

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
pencil on 12/04/2013 14:40:51 MST Print View

You can order an advance copy of my forthcoming book, "Pencil or Pen? An In-Depth Analysis of Techniques and Tools For Writing While Hiking." Simon & Schuster, 450 pages.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

The Rest of the Story on 12/04/2013 15:34:20 MST Print View

Picking up on Paul Harvey's famous tagline, "The rest of the story," here is

A Pencil for the JMT

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Which Pencil for the JMT? on 12/04/2013 15:58:47 MST Print View

"I went medical school, but I only made it through the handwriting course"

In the defense of MD penmanship, I can sympathize. Even as an EMT, having to write things like "periorbital ecchymosis" on the pre-hospital care report when all I want to say is "dude has two black eyes" (and am happy when I can spell my own name), I think MD penmanship allows for some Kentucky windage where they can fudge it a bit.

Of course I'm not med school material so YMMV.