Forum Index » GEAR » Frameless Packs: Avoiding the tube with straps?

Display Avatars Sort By:
M B
(livingontheroad) - M
wt on 05/15/2013 21:13:18 MDT Print View

Frameless UL packs are most comfortable when packed loosely so that they conform to your back.

If you cant do that, you are in the realm of trading comfort for lighter pack weight.
Be sure its worth it.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Pack Comfort on 05/15/2013 22:26:24 MDT Print View

Myself? I use a Boreas Buttermilk 40. It's about a pound heavier than most UL Barrel packs, but the tradeoff is a foam back that gives the entire pack a near-perfect structure that I can also use as a leg pad at night.

So, look for an UL pack with foam. The REI Flash comes to mind. Other than that, I think packing looser is the only realistic way to do it.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Pack Comfort on 05/16/2013 03:09:44 MDT Print View

I already have a few of those types of packs, Max. I'm looking for a lightweight/zero-weight solution to modify a frameless pack. The real problem is that most such packs are not designed with UL principals/fabrics. All of them are designed and manufactured by mainstream brands, and, as such, are unnecessarily heavy. The lighter weight ones tend to be made with non-durable fabrics also. I need something in the 25L-30L range, around 10oz, max. Otherwise, I'll just use a Mountain Hardwear Pack at sub-16oz - cheap and it works.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Frameless Packs: Avoiding the tube with straps? on 05/16/2013 21:57:03 MDT Print View

Something i have done on a number of frameless and internal framed packs is to insert an aluminum rod or tube just above shoulder height running across the front panel (by which I mean the panel that rides against your back) of the pack. The top of the pack thus cannot round out - the worst it can get is a "D" shape, with the flat side of the D against your back. Works quite well. Framesheets don't work as well at preventing round-out as this does in my experience.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: Frameless Packs: Avoiding the tube with straps? on 05/17/2013 08:05:26 MDT Print View

Cool Paul! Thanks for your insight! Very excited to try it. Did you form the rod at all, or just keep it straight? What diameter of rod have you experimented with? How did you fix the rod at it's location?

Edited by lindahlb on 05/17/2013 08:06:46 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
frameless on 05/17/2013 21:50:51 MDT Print View

Sometimes saving that last 1lb possible, is not smart.

Does a 7 lb baseweight really have much advantage over a 8 lb?

Not if its less comfortable overall, and doesnt carry heavy food loads well.

Edited by livingontheroad on 05/17/2013 21:53:37 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Round Packs on 05/17/2013 22:12:01 MDT Print View

I noticed an Exped 60 got somewhat round when pack but this was not a problem because of the hipbelt and internal frame.

I think one problem is that most packs have the hipbelts sewn onto the sides. If the hipbelt was sewn on close to the center if would wrap around your hips better and the exact shape of the pack would be a bit less important. Hope this makes sense, I have some ideas I'll try to post later but to do them justice I need to draw some diagrams and right now I'm tired. Brian I'll try to let you know if I start a thread with my ideas.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Frameless Packs: Avoiding the tube with straps? on 05/22/2013 22:10:16 MDT Print View

I have done this a variety of ways. All are inserted in a sleeve sewn to the pack.
I have used flat aluminum bar stock - 1" x 1/8"; I have used solid aluminum rod - 1/4" diameter; and I have used a section of a 7000 series alloy tent pole - around 3/8" diameter. The rod stock I bent at the ends to wrap around the corner from front to sides, the others just stop at that point and are straight.