Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Tape the Cuben Fiber or Sew it?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Tape the Cuben Fiber or Sew it? on 05/14/2013 21:12:03 MDT Print View

I have finished the design on my Cuben Fiber shaped tarp, 5 sided similar to a SMD Wild Oasis shape, I can't decide on taping the whole project or sewing and taping
I am looking for feedback and opinions on which way to go.
I really believe that with the way the shape distributes stress over multiple panels of fabric that tape is the way to go.

Any info is appreciated!

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Tape the Cuben Fiber or Sew it? on 05/15/2013 13:42:08 MDT Print View

I haven't worked with Cuben but from what I have read in other posts is that the stiching should be reinforced with tap. Otherwise the unreinforced stich will eventually fail. I do not recall of anyone just taping the cuben together. If done right the tape would also waterproof the stiching.

Edited by Surf on 05/15/2013 13:46:04 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Tape the Cuben Fiber or Sew it? on 05/15/2013 13:54:23 MDT Print View

somebody said to use 3M 9460 tape because it doesn't creep over time

some spinaker makers use tape, and then sew to prevent creeping. You want to join the two pieces with tape, then sew through fabric/tape/fabric. You don't want a sewn seam not reinforced with tape or it will rip.

Matthew Pullan
(Skyaddict) - F - MLife

Locale: Steiermark
Tape & bond? on 05/16/2013 09:06:42 MDT Print View

I wonder if taping and then bonding a reinforcement strip over the top would give the best of both worlds. That is, the convenience of tape (for joining the two cat cut halves together) and the strength and waterproofing of hysol bonding. The only downside is the gear needed for clamping. I'm not sure about the hem, I would probably sew it as strength is not as critical as in the ridgeline.
Matt

J C
(Joomy) - M
Tape and tape? on 05/19/2013 07:45:46 MDT Print View

Maybe double-sided tape the seam and then use single sided tape like from Zpacks to reinforce, on both sides if necessary?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
sew on 05/19/2013 08:47:03 MDT Print View

Both work

Depends on the method of stitching too.

Any sewn seam will be taped after for waterproofing Im sure anyway.

Zpacks gear is sewn. No problems. Only recently (last yr) taped after.

Edited by livingontheroad on 05/19/2013 08:48:00 MDT.