Forum Index » GEAR » "Fireballs" Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rocco Speranza
(Mechrock)

Locale: Western NC Mtns
"Fireballs" Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters on 05/14/2013 13:12:01 MDT Print View

I've updated the design to the classic cotton ball fire starter. I dubbed the name accidentally when making the video. :P

I've improved them in several ways:

1. Lighter (1-3 grams each vs. 3-5 grams each)
2. Smaller
3. Less messy
4. Easier to make
5. Still just as effective as the classic ones

I made a video on how to make them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rotV4PLebws

Edit:
Here is a comparison of mine vs the other styles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqMP-yuqg8

Tell me what you think!
Thanks for looking!

Edited by Mechrock on 05/14/2013 17:39:57 MDT.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
An epic documentary :) on 05/15/2013 07:18:50 MDT Print View

Rocco,

I want to check it out, I really do! Sixteen minutes of vid is too much for me, though. I have the attention span of a squirrel in that Over the Hedge movie. :)

Can you boil down "the answer" to either a quick description or a radical new editing project that concentrates the information into a shorter video?

Randy Amos
(RandyAmos)

Locale: Indiana
Let me save you some time on 05/15/2013 10:41:49 MDT Print View

Good idea man but way too much video for what it is.

Essentially, Cut the cotton ball in half, heat up petroleum jelly to liquefy it. just barely dip the half cotton ball into the liquid petroleum jelly.

Less petroleum jelly and smaller cotton ball = less weight but still has similar burn time to full size cotton balls hand dipped in room temp petroleum jelly.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Time saver on 05/15/2013 10:46:38 MDT Print View

Thanks, Randy, for the down and dirty. Like Eric, I did not have the patience to watch the end.

Rocco Speranza
(Mechrock)

Locale: Western NC Mtns
Re: An epic documentary :) on 05/15/2013 10:56:57 MDT Print View

Yeah, guess you are right... I do tend to over explain everything in videos I make.
I think it's a habit from my other channel "Mechrocktech". When you have to explain to people how a computer works and they have no clue how, I have to go step by step.

I'll see if I can make a shorter one, but in the mean time Youtube added an awesome scrubber feature so it makes it much easier to look through longer videos like this.
Hover over the load bar and you should see a mini picture pop up of what is being shown in the video at that time.

Edit:
Also, Randy pretty much explains it perfectly for those wondering!

Edited by Mechrock on 05/15/2013 10:58:25 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Epic documentary on 05/15/2013 11:14:48 MDT Print View

Thanks for contributing, Rocco. Hope to see you in the NC hills soon. I was out there last weekend.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: "Fireballs" Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters on 05/15/2013 18:22:14 MDT Print View

Have you considered trying paraffin rather than petroleum jelly? I've been making cotton balls fire starters using melted paraffin and so far they seem to work pretty well. And no mess.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: "Fireballs" Ultralight teabag Fire Starters on 01/08/2014 21:48:33 MST Print View

Fireball in a teabag

A slight mod on the classic "cotton ball with petroleum jelly shoved inside a drinking straw container"

How about this:
tea bag individual pouch is made of foil inside.
cut with scissors for a clean straight light, instead of tear pull tab.
get a used dry tea bag
neatly fold and shove it deep in the tea bag pouch
squeeze in your favorite fuel source such a petroleum jelly, olive oil, Purrell...
obviously, not too much liquid, just enough for the dry tea bag to soak up.
if you have a food saver vacuum sealer, it also seals these thermal wax foil types, such as the foil potato chip bags, and tea bag pouch. Don't vacuum, just seal.

if you don't have a sealer, you can use a couple of inches of scotch tape.

it's you choice if you want the tea bag string/tag outside or inside the wrapper.
When you are ready to use, the oil soaked tea bag is ready to burn.

I like a couple of things here:
1) re-purpose the used tea bag & pouch that would have otherwise been trash.
2) The flat square and sealed container prevents oil leak, as opposed to stuffing inside a drinking straw.

If you seal the pouch with the tea bag hanging out, that will be your reminder that it's not a tea bag and something different is here. You can also use a marker to write a note on it.

Edited by RogerDodger on 01/08/2014 21:50:46 MST.