Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Float walking & other types of perambulation

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
Float walking & other types of perambulation on 05/12/2013 15:50:02 MDT Print View

Float walking, urge walking, high walking, dream walking, fear walking

If you are into podcasts, check out a recent interesting This American Life radio story (“Hit the Road”) on Andrew Forsthoefel who walked 4,000 miles across America:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/494/hit-the-road

It's not really a backpacking piece, but there are some gems about long distance walking, such as Forsthoefel’s classification of different types of walking:

"There’s all kinds of walking. There’s float walking when it’s the easiest thing in the world, and there’s urge walking when you are desperate to stop. There’s high walking when you are high and hurt walking when you are hurt. I like weep walking the best, when all you can do is cry. I was doing two types of walking at night in Nevada: the first was dream walking, when everything seems like a hallucination; the second was fear walking.” --Andrew Forsthoefel

Also check out his website and a link to an hour-long version of the radio story on This American Life: www.walkingtolisten.com

Edited by greenwalk on 05/13/2013 03:23:10 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
TAL on 05/14/2013 23:27:44 MDT Print View

I listened to this podcast last week. great story