Forum Index » GEAR » Lightest, cheapest mug?

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Lightest, cheapest mug? on 05/12/2013 11:47:07 MDT Print View

In the past, my wife and I just drank out of our BPL Firelite 550 mug after we used it to boil water for FBC. But I'm now thinking of moving to cooking in the pot (and a larger pot), so I'm looking for a separate mug since my pot will be tied up with the food.

My Snowpeak titanium mug weighs in at 31 g on my scale. It has a capacity of 1.25 cups. The great thing about it too is that you can use it as a measuring cup of sorts (although it doesn't have gradations on the side). I could trim off the handle maybe, and get it down to around 1 oz.

Is there anything lighter out there, maybe around 0.5 oz? Something free? I'm thinking cheap disposable cups here. Styrofoam doesn't seem quite durable enough, and I don't like the stuff (it's not healthy).

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Lightest, cheapest mug? on 05/12/2013 12:06:58 MDT Print View

Those Mac N' Cheese cups work good. It's small enough and it can fit inside a pot and it has a single graduation line inside the cup that you can use for measuring.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Re: Lightest, cheapest mug? on 05/12/2013 12:20:12 MDT Print View

coffecup

Aubrey W. Bogard
(bogardaw) - M

Locale: TX
Re: Lightest, cheapest mug? on 05/12/2013 12:43:37 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73800

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62701

Apologies, but I don't know how to make these URLs an actual hyperlink. This forum software is far from user-friendly compared to some.

Edited by bogardaw on 05/12/2013 12:44:54 MDT.

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Cola can cup? on 05/12/2013 13:34:58 MDT Print View

I use cola can cup. It's 330ml which is enough for me for 1 hot drink. It weigh 25 gram. I made a cozy for it out of some sort of microfiber cloth. The cozy is 5 grams. This keep my drink hot for very long time. Much longer than regular porcelain mugs.

Very easy to make: just cut with the can opener the top of a can.
For me it is also easily disposable cup, since I make another for 1 minute for free.
Very convenient to drink out of it!

In two words: highly recommended.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Neither cheap nor light... on 05/12/2013 13:35:19 MDT Print View

But beautiful.

Will likely bring more joy and style to your life than a piece of disposable plastic.

Teacup. by Shoji Hamada

Just sayin'. :)

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Snow Peak Bowl and Your Mug/Pot on 05/12/2013 15:38:22 MDT Print View

Is lightest non-disposable ootion. Just use your SP to measure AND as a mug and get a 1.6 oz. SP Bowl (for sale on their web site with and without a handle) to boil your water. I usually just use an 850 or 700 for everything, but their are times I schlep a 2,4 oz 450 ti cup when I think their might be a call for a handy brverage at all times (i.e., winter hot drinks and summer libations).

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
macncheese on 05/12/2013 16:16:25 MDT Print View

The small easy-mac microwavable mac and cheese is it.

0.45 oz and plenty strong, with a layer of insulation so you can hold hot coffee in your hand. Its made for hot liquid.

I usually take a small 8 oz styrofoam cup in my cook pot. 0.1 oz. though.

Tried the campbells soup, heavy with metal rim and plastic lid.
Also seems impossible to get soup smell out of . Nasty.

Edited by livingontheroad on 05/12/2013 16:17:03 MDT.

Terry G
(delvxe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
light cheap cup on 05/12/2013 17:51:51 MDT Print View

I have been using the "Generic 1 cup capacity Ridged Flat bottom aluminum can" from zelph. It is really about 1.5 cups.

I made a reflectix cozy, so it is prolly a little over 1 oz altogether.

I don't know if he still sells them, but he will likely give you one if you buy something else.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: light cheap cup on 05/13/2013 04:00:10 MDT Print View

Reusable plastic Starbuck's cup, 1.6 oz. Just $1.