Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Coconut water concentrate 50% off at Swansons Vitamins
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poking negative opinion never helps..... on 05/23/2013 15:16:37 MDT Print View

Dilbert on Coconut Water

William Johnsen
(sixoclocknews) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poking negative opinion never helps..... on 05/23/2013 17:47:01 MDT Print View

Hey Justin,
Sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't trying to defend the SAD in any way. It sucks.

"It's the buildup in the tissues of the acid which is what really wreaks havoc.
That foods can alter the ph of the body to a significant degree in some ways and in some systems of the body, is apparent to me as i have, like many, have used ph strips to monitor and test the ph of my urine and saliva."

This doesn't really do anything to help your theory because a changing pH in your urine just suggests that your blood buffer system is working properly and doesn't provide any information about differing tissue pH. Additionally if pH is the cause of diseases why aren't areas of the body that have super acidic pH's always diseased or nor functioning properly? Lactic acid builds up in your muscles when you exercise, but your body breaks it down and eliminates it. You claim, and rightfully so, that exercise is good for you. But it's an activity that raises the pH (temporarily) of tissues which is contrarian to the pH theory (it's easier for me to call what you're talking about this). The pH theory wants it both ways in the sense that in some areas the body (cells) can alter the pH, but not in other places. I don't believe this to be true.

"This is the BIG problem though with modern medicine, it's extremely reductionist in nature, and doesn't consider the body as an interconnected whole enough."

I don't think that statement is a fair characterization because it's not so much that they don't consider the whole body, it's that many of the same hormones/cytokines etc are used by different pathways. So you target one and it has other effects not because they aren't considering them, but because you can't (yet) target something that specific. That doesn't mean they don't know what is going on. It's a compromise that we have to live with until medicine advances. I'm not saying they know everything, there's obviously a lot of learn, but that isn't a reason to reject things they do know.

"Re: whether or not it works, all i can say, is to test it out for yourself. I've been testing it out on myself for about 12 years now."

I'm not saying that it doesn't work, I'm just saying there's a really good chance it isn't working the way you think it is.

"Mainstream medicine tells me that psoriasis is a genetic disease and that there are no other cause besides genetics. They don't treat it by diet whatsoever. They treat it primarily by outside creams, UV therapy, and other external means primarily."

Psoriasis IS a genetic disease. It's an autoimmune disorder primarily driven by T-cells, and as a result an increased production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Different creams work on different parts of the pathway to inhibit various signals/receptors and to try to curb the symptoms, they don't fix the mutations in the DNA to cure it (we aren't there yet either). The fact that your diet can alter the manifestation of the disease doesn't mean it's cured. It also doesn't do anything to suggest it isn't genetic. There are a number of explanations of why it might be working, but it's difficult to test, so I'm not going to say what about your diet is helping. pH is highly unlikely (because of all the things we've talked about) but *could* explain it by altering gene expression (again cells work very hard to keep the pH at a level they are comfortable with) If I had to guess, it would be that some nutrient mimics some part of the pathway that inhibits T-cells, but that's unfounded and simply a guess.

I think it's natural to want to explain what is happening for your own sake and to share what has been working for your with others. But if you dig a bit deeper into the science you'll see why the pH theory isn't proven or accepted. It relies on claims that are difficult to test and emotional aspects (mainstream medicine doesn't know everything so they don't know anything, and there is a larger oppression based on money).

*stupid spelling errors.

Edited by sixoclocknews on 05/23/2013 17:49:25 MDT.