Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Coconut water concentrate 50% off at Swansons Vitamins
Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: info on 05/17/2013 11:39:24 MDT Print View

Sean, i don't know of any studies specifically done on Coconut water. The studies that i do know of re: hydration efficiency, often used the mainstream, popular and heavily advertised "sport drinks", filled with various additives, refined sugars, often lacking potassium, etc. Some studies have used some altered fruit juices as well, but these also are not ideal.

The huge majority of the made from scratch sports drinks (the Gatorade's, the PowerAid's, etc), you could not pay me to put into my body, and so i'm not surprised at all that they fall short in the studies.

Since one good turn deserves another info wise, where is your proof that most coconut water is just fake stuff made to seem like coconut water? And for it to be considered "real" CW, why would it have to remain frozen until you use it? Why is not pasteurized, Vitamin C added Coconut water "real" Coconut water? I would agree that the kept frozen stuff would be better, but i wouldn't go so far as to label non kept frozen stuff not real.

I'm seriously interested, because if you are correct, i would not want to drink or buy the stuff if it's that fake. I AM open to you being possibly correct about this.

Re: electrolytes in general and studies--i remember recently seeing this. It's not completely trustworthy because it's a PR and marketing piece, but because some of the statements mirror my actual experience i'm sharing it. Also, it references to two studies done using the product, which one could research further if interested and have the time. Here is an excerpt regarding the two studies: "Research done at the Seattle Perfomance Medicine Clinic using elite world-class cyclists and a double-blind study done at the Movement Science/Performance Laboratory at Montana State using elite cross country skiers showed that these athletes could exercise 52% longer to the point of exhaustion, had 38% less lactic acid build-up, and had a 35% faster recovery when taking Alka-Plex™. These athletes were also able to rehydrate faster and more thoroughly using Alka-Plex Technology™ water. The researchers noted benefits on metabolic efficiency, mineral absorption, acid neutralization, reduced physical stress, improved sports performance and faster recovery from exercise-induced fatigue."

Here is the site and page i got this from: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/alka-tone-alkalizing-sports-drink-with-alka-plex.html

Regarding the actual product, "Alka-Plex", if you look on the Swanson's website for it (https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ph-balance-alka-tone-30-0-1-oz-3-8-grams-pkts), you will note that the primary ingredients are alkaline electrolytes minerals--Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and then two B vitamins, but by far the alkalizing electrolyte minerals are the majority "active" ingredients.

When it comes to food and supplements and studies on same re: beneficial or negative properties, i oft find contradictory info out there, even about the same foods! I will go with experience over just studies, and i've found that Coconut water helps me. A poster here, whose wife has lymes and she finds it helps her. Dan Lee seems to like it a lot for some reason(s). At the end of the day, experience (especially my own) is more powerful to me than theoretics or even loosely related studies--pro or con.

For example, repeated, tested, self experience is why i trust and believe in the "Alkaline-Acid" concept and theories. When you go 2.25 yrs without even a hint a common cold, but then get sick only after visiting your in-laws during Christmas time and feel obligated to eat foods and combos you wouldn't normally (i.e. very acid forming), combined with other experiences similar, well i trust that over "trained experts" that say differently.

On that note, have you personally tested Coconut water in your cycling, hiking, etc endeavors? That's were pudding is, and where you may find the real proof--at least for yourself.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 05/17/2013 11:46:13 MDT.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
coconut on 05/17/2013 12:28:37 MDT Print View

I really wish I saved all the data I've consumed over the years so I could present a better argument, but I simply dont have it and I'm going to Utah tomorrow for some backpacking and mountain biking and don't have the time to search for it!

here's one that's fairly interesting re: coconut water not being real:

http://www.fakefoodwatch.com/2012/07/coconut-water-fad-hucksterism-health.html

I dont know the source above...just searched quickly on google.

Why I think it needs to be frozen is for two reasons. One, the grocery store I frequent sells the popular brands and also has a frozen version and I asked once why. They said because it was the only one that was truly 100% coconut water. This is a vegan grocery store that goes out of their way to verify sources and provide legit food. When reading about this to see if what they claimed was true, I recall reading that it was pretty simple why...if it's not frozen it will spoil before it makes it to the shelves.

Just do a search on "coconut water fraud" or something along those lines and you'll find plenty of interesting information some bordering on conspiracy while others are presented as an excellent argument. Learn about hidden ingredients or "riders" allowed by the FDA in most foods people consume in the USA. learn about "natural" flavors and what a joke that is.

When the coconut water craze first came about I started training with it. Before that and after since I decided it wasn't worth the $, I used a drink by first endurance sports which is a glucose/fructose/long chain sugar among other things like amino acids. Anyways, I like the taste of the coconut water, but noticed absolutely no change in my performance or recovery or perceived effort or general exhaustion tests. I have a power meter which displays the amount of watts I output, and easily see micro changes in my efforts. I've also tried Apple Cider diluted with water. I find it performs exactly like any other sugary drink I consume. See a trend? For me, and most people I know that I race with it doesnt matter what they eat as long as they get the calories needed during the exercise. There are of course exceptions and I hope they don't need to be listed. Like don't eat a bowl of ice cream before the final climb...!

It's great some are finding benefits from consuming something like coconut water, but for now I will remain highly skeptical and chalk it up as placebo.

I'd like to note that I don't think hiking and the bike racing I do are remotely comparable. I usually just drink water when hiking and backpacking but if I'm doing something silly like the presidential traverse as a day hike, or the great range traverse in the same light, I'll use a sugary drink since my level of output requires it on top of the typical food I consume.

I've raced against some of the best pro bike racers, and have been repeatedly shocked seeing what they eat since I've always been very conscience of what I consumed especially while racing. Snack cakes filled with creme, for example. Sometimes you have no choice like when racing in Indonesia, but other times I've asked why they eat it and they say sugar is sugar and they simply like the taste of whatever snack they are eating better.

Interestingly regarding what you (and I) consider a poor quality sports like Gatorade, or even Coca-Cola, it turns out it performs the same as any other good old sugar and water drink in most cases. High Fructose CS, while from a questionable source and path of creation, simply provides glucose and fructose like any other $$$$ sports drink. If you watch races like the Tour de France you'll often see riders grabbing a coke from the car especially on hot days or near the end of a race. And they aren't sponsored by Coke in most cases. This is the most extreme edge and hyper competitive part of endurance cycling and they go for a coke? I look forward to after the race when I can guzzle some soft drink (usually pepsi or coke) and in some cases it's pretty much saved me from simply collapsing or getting sick.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
study on 05/17/2013 12:44:44 MDT Print View

One last thing I forgot to mention regarding the study that showed a 50%+ gain to exhaustion...Well, I find that totally laughable, and i'm not trying to annoy you or be a jerk!

imagine having 50% more endurance taking their potion? It just doesnt stack up. EVERYONE in the endurance world would be taking this already if it did what they say.

all of these drinks and powders simply dont stand up against the good old PEDs like EPO and testosterone or human growth hormones or so many others.

In the face of that type of competition what we are worrying about, like electrolytes to perform better, well, it's a joke!

Edited by Spookykinkajou on 05/17/2013 12:48:01 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: coconut on 05/17/2013 13:04:40 MDT Print View

Thank you for the detailed and holistic reply Sean. I will look into that link and into some other info.

Sugar is more or less sugar i agree, but i prefer to get it from more food based and less intensely refined sources.

My body is uber sensitive, and because i have psoriasis on my face, i can tell immediately what is good for me or not, and i stopped drinking sodas when i was 16 and haven't looked back. If i was doing some kind of super endurance stuff like you outlined in the above, i guess i would opt for something like sucanat or molasses laden water.

The childhood issue i referenced earlier was not so much the psoriasis (though it was part of it), but it was what the well meaning, but clueless medically trained doctors labeled a "heat allergy". Everytime i got hot, or even warmer than usual, i would break out into the most uncomfortable and very colorful hives all over my body. If i took off my shirt, it would look like my back got strapped with a whip when i had a breakout (and i had multiple ones in a day).

I don't have this anymore and no thanks whatsoever to the doctors (and i went to a few of various specialties), and most of the time i have no outer symptoms of psoriasis either (haven't completely gotten rid of the latter yet because i don't have the sheer discipline to do so). The huge majority of this was achieved through and the psoriasis is now managed by dietary measures, with some herbals thrown in, attention to exercise, and to attitude.

It took a lot of time, research, experimentation, discipline, etc. to correct these issues myself, and ironically my own body and symptoms of imbalance of same have been the best immediate and very clear feedback.

And re: natural foods, supplements, i'm well aware from experience there is a lot of marketing ploys and fudging out there. I will look further into coconut water. Again, thank you. It seems like we are coming at this from different angles and requirements somewhat, but that we both are interested in body health and efficiency ultimately.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
food on 05/17/2013 13:25:22 MDT Print View

I'd like to thank you as well for taking the time to present your side because you are right, we are definitely coming from different angles but I think the ultimate goal is to do the best we can and continually grow, learn, and modify if necessary. I've changed greatly over the past 10 years since I've really been focusing on my consumption.

Food and drink is an amazingly powerful thing. I strongly believe that both are a direct contributors to the epidemic we face in the USA and increasingly, worldwide for disease and obesity, among other issues. Both mental and physical.

I can't recall if i typed it above, but I'll do it again because I feel I may have deleted it. Whole foods, raw whenever possible, gluten free may be worth pursuing. and don't trust ANYTHING that comes in a box. don't assume organic is organic or natural is natural. I've gradually switched my diet to only farmers market food locally sold by where I live and I've never eaten better. The quality is incomparable and the taste is superior!

somewhat related, this long article may be of interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all

Sadly, I've grown to learn that many doctors, while hopefully almost always using their knowledge with your best interest simply are NOT correct, or they just dont know what to do yet. And most people take their word as definitive and fact. religion-like response. You have first hand experience with this, and I believe it crosses most fields, if not all, and I see it where I work in the field of Oncology - i'm a part time pro racer, full time oncology pharmacy! physical therapy is another area I feel is so poorly done in the states. They always focus specifically on the one trouble spot but never bother to consider the entire body is connected and works as ONE. When I figured that out it dramatically changed my quality of life.

Or doctors willing to do knee replacements on grossly overweight patients and then two years later they complain their knees still hurt while they remain morbidly obese. rarely will they bluntly say LOSE WEIGHT, eat better, and exercise and after you drop 100 pounds we will see how your knees feel.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: coconut on 05/17/2013 13:26:56 MDT Print View

Ok, just read that article you linked. This is the gist of what i got reading it. That manufacturing claims of said benefits of coconut water involves a lot of health claim hype (would not disagree), and that many of these are not as pure as the companies promote e.g. they are altered in some way (again, would not disagree), and lastly some companies hide their connections to much larger corporations perhaps in order to seem like a smaller and more caring company.

But even if a company adds ascorbic acid (a form of vitamin c), "natural" flavors (the one i recommended here does not list "natural flavors" like some brands do), it has less sodium than claimed, and is pasteurized, i still don't see the basic product as being fake, or not real coconut water. Altered some yes, not 100% natural yes, but more or less coconut water. Most packaged orange juice is altered or processed in different ways, and yet is more or less still orange juice.

I wouldn't disagree that it's better to get the frozen stuff you mentioned, or better yet to buy fresh, young coconuts, but i think the previous characterizations might be a little extreme. The fake food watch site wasn't claiming that companies were completely creating a synthesized product, but mainly criticizing the slick marketing ploys surrounding same.

Well, news to us, pretty much every large company, health food product, etc, etc. out there uses some slick marketing strategies, ploys, and the like and hype is everywhere and with so many different kinds of products. In a corporate, consumer, captilistic society we are awash in an ocean of truth bending, exaggerating, sometimes out right lying, info manipulation, etc. motivated by and for self, materialistic gain.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: coconut on 05/17/2013 13:34:43 MDT Print View

Lol, Sean, re: the studies, i did warn that it wasn't completely trust worthy because it was more or less a PR and marketing piece.

I suspect they are fudging with both how they are using their terms and quantifying same.

Anyways, while i can't speak to that particular product, not ever having used it, i can speak to the acid alkaline concept and theory, and know from years of repeat experience and experimentation. Hence, i suspect there is some truth (albeit exaggerated or misleading) to the claims.

Those 2.25 years i went without even getting a hint of a common cold, i worked at a school and was surrounded fairly constantly by kids who were getting sick and working closely with them and quite subjected to all these various germs. Am i a super healthy super man? No, i just have a fairly disciplined diet whose primary basis is in the acid-alkaline concept.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: coconut on 05/17/2013 13:39:26 MDT Print View

Highly agree with what you outlined about food in general, especially about going to farmers markets, eating whole foods primarily, avoiding gluten, etc, Also agree about how the system has become.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
last thought on 05/17/2013 13:44:28 MDT Print View

Last thought before I disconnect from the internet for 10 days!

What I take from an article like that Re: the manipulation of what coconut water is, is this:

Since there is only a sliver of real coconut water in the drink, perhaps enough to make it qualified to be labeled as such, then clearly it will not have the natural level of potassium, etc in it that a nice, fresh, young coconut would have. So, they add synthetic nutrients (that they arent even required to list as an ingredient) from dubious sources which have often been shown to be completely ignored by the body.

So it's basically like drinking water and taking a multi-vitamin only it costs a lot more.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: last thought on 05/17/2013 13:48:16 MDT Print View

Hope you enjoy your trip! I'm a bit jealous.

William Johnsen
(sixoclocknews) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poking negative opinion never helps..... on 05/18/2013 12:19:09 MDT Print View

Hey Justin,
I'm not trying to say that your diet doesn't work for you or that it wouldn't be beneficial for people but your explanation doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was because your were trying to over simplify things, but I think trying to explain mechanisms did more harm than good to your argument (I'm referring to your post on the 13th).

In the hand/water explanation the water you talk about "the positive force of electricity". But electricity is inherently negative, so that confuses me.

Then: "What happens when you add some salts, like sodium? Bam, you'd get shocked because the electricity can then flow very well throughout the water via the negative charge of same."

I think there is ambiguity of terms here that could be confusing. Are you referring to table salt and just short-handing it as sodium? Or saying you'd be shocked if you just added the element sodium to the water?

"Basic potassium is the most negatively charged mineral. Some other negatively charged ones are sodium, calcium, and magnesium for the more macro minerals. Some positively charged ones are sulfur, phosphorus, and iodine for example."

Do you have these all flipped? Postassium, Sodium, Calcium, and magnesium are all found as a cations (positively charged) and sulfur, phosphorus and iodine are negatively charged.

"All in a natural package that nature created, and the nutrients of same are highly bioavailable. You can throw a bunch of crappy, treated/over processed table salt and potassium chloride into some water, and yes it will become more alkalizing, but these are not particularly bioavailable forms, and what the body doesn't use is a waste product and must be gotten rid of."

This just sounds like you're repeating marketing hype. You're acting like they take coconuts, pour the CW out and get rid of some of the water. This is a vitamin company that is selling it at a fraction of the cost and are probably doing exactly what you said you didn't want. Throwing some table salt and potassium chloride (and whatever else is in it) in water. Additionally these are ions in water, not more complex vitamins or proteins so how would the bio-availability change?

"...will help to energize the body by helping out the electro-magnetic flow of the nervous system"

The notion that the pH level change from the foods you eat (which I believe is so insignificant that it isn't going to pull a normal person out of the ~7.3-7.4 range) is somehow going to affect your electrochemical brain function is unfounded and relies too much on uneducated assumptions. In addition to the blood buffer system (which would take a lot of throw the pH balance off, unless you stopped breathing or peeing, and even if you could throw the balance off enough you wouldn't be a very functional person), the molecules would have to cross the blood brain barrier and be in high enough concentrations to adjust an additional buffer system (cerebrospinal fluid).

I am not against whole foods, or healthy eating and I believe you can improve your health doing so. There is just some faulty logic presented and like I said maybe it was because you were trying to oversimplify and I hope this doesn't come across as an attack.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poking negative opinion never helps..... on 05/19/2013 17:00:04 MDT Print View

Hi William,

You are correct, i made a major error in describing the acid alkaline theory and mixed up the inherent charge of the minerals with their effects of alkalizing or acidifying in the body. I just took out a couple of my books based on this and they talk about the acid or alkaline effect happening through binding and attracting particles of the opposite charge. So the positively charged minerals like potassium, calcium, etc bind/attract negatively charged depending on the inherent force. Ultimately the acid alkaline balance relates to the ratio of hydroxl ions to that of hydrogen ions. So the cations, the positively charged minerals (potassium etc), will attract and bond the hydroxl ions potentially faciliating a surplus of that, which is what leads to the alkalizing effect. The basic premise & effect is the same though, large amounts of potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc in foods will tend to have an alkalizing effect in the body (not considering other important factors, like protein ratio, amount of calories, etc).

It's been quite awhile since i've read the specifics of this stuff, but either way i want to apologize for the major error and thank you for pointing that out.

William wrote, "This just sounds like you're repeating marketing hype. You're acting like they take coconuts, pour the CW out and get rid of some of the water. This is a vitamin company that is selling it at a fraction of the cost and are probably doing exactly what you said you didn't want. Throwing some table salt and potassium chloride (and whatever else is in it) in water. Additionally these are ions in water, not more complex vitamins or proteins so how would the bio-availability change?"

To be honest, and i've said from the get go, i DO NOT know exactly what they do or don't do to produce and manufacture coconut water. I would like to know how much they add or don't with this stuff and generally how altered or not it is. If there is someone who works directly with this and doesn't mind disclosing the industry secrets, please speak up now.

Re: minerals, it's not so simple as that. For example, calcium carbonate is not as bioavailable as other forms of calcium that are bonded with other stuff. It is common though, because it's cheap and readily available.

"The notion that the pH level change from the foods you eat (which I believe is so insignificant that it isn't going to pull a normal person out of the ~7.3-7.4 range) is somehow going to affect your electrochemical brain function is unfounded and relies too much on uneducated assumptions. In addition to the blood buffer system (which would take a lot of throw the pH balance off, unless you stopped breathing or peeing, and even if you could throw the balance off enough you wouldn't be a very functional person), the molecules would have to cross the blood brain barrier and be in high enough concentrations to adjust an additional buffer system (cerebrospinal fluid)."

This part i did oversimplify. As i stated earlier, it's not so much changes in the blood that happen to any degree, as the body works extremely hard to keep that in a rather narrow range. It's the buildup in the tissues of the acid which is what really wreaks havoc.

That foods can alter the ph of the body to a significant degree in some ways and in some systems of the body, is apparent to me as i have, like many, have used ph strips to monitor and test the ph of my urine and saliva. Definite and noticeable fluctuations have been noted from day to day, and occasionally even from meal to meal. These strips have shown up as yellow-green color to medium blue.

But this is not a black and white process or indication. A lot depends on what you normally eat and what your levels are normally at, and temporarily introducing foods that are either highly alkalizing or acid forming, can temporarily skew results.

This is the BIG problem though with modern medicine, it's extremely reductionist in nature, and doesn't consider the body as an interconnected whole enough. What happens in the rest of the tissue and the blood of the body, will eventually affect the brain even if not by direct "blood brain barrier". Imbalance in one area, leads to weakness and imbalance in different areas.

Re: whether or not it works, all i can say, is to test it out for yourself. I've been testing it out on myself for about 12 years now. I've healed myself of the mysterious "heat allergy" largely by and through paying attention to this concept, i keep my body's psoriasis in check usually quite well via this theory/diet, and out of all the people i personally know, i seem to get sick the least. I use to be more "normal" and get sick more often like the many others i know before changing my diet in accordance with this concept.

I consistently avoid or knock out colds using this, and over a 12 year period. That kind of repeated experience is extremely powerful. Here is an experience in the beginning that my wife and i had when we first moved in with each other. She had just started to show strong symptoms of both strep throat and pink eye at the same time. I decided to test this theory/concept on her--which i was just learning about and open minded but skeptical. I prepared her food that i had read was very highly to moderately alkalizing, and only such foods. Within two days of symptoms first showing, she was back to normal.

With repeated experiences like this, someone could speak to me all day about theoretics and so called "medical facts", or tell me it's all just placebo effect, but being a practical person, actual experience is what i go more by and which converts/changes my belief systems. Mainstream, modern medicine only truly knows a fraction of what there is to know yet. Mainstream medicine tells me that psoriasis is a genetic disease and that there are no other cause besides genetics. They don't treat it by diet whatsoever. They treat it primarily by outside creams, UV therapy, and other external means primarily.

Yet, i've had this since before age 16, but started treating it around then via natural means of diet, herbs, and exercise. Diet has a HUGE effect on it--the most besides stress. I now don't give a crap what modern medicine says about psoriasis because they have failed in treating the causes, and didn't even treat the symptoms that well either. I've come to learn and know that it's primarily not genetic, but a digestive-intestinal issue. When i take herbs that specifically treat and help with that, like slippery elm bark tea, it powerfully reduces symptoms. When i avoid certain foods, the symptoms go away, when i eat more alkaline, the same.

Those same experts will tell me and you and everyone that there is nothing to the acid-alkaline theories, and it's pseudo science. I've begun to wonder if the large and hugely profitable medical-pharmaceutical-educational complex truly wants to heal people or just continue treating outside symptoms and keeping people dependent on the care. I suspect that most doctors, personally, do want to heal, but doctors have become more the middlemen.

So i highly suggest and recommend testing it out yourself before coming to any staid belief systems. When you form a belief about something with no repeat experience, it becomes very hard to change said beliefs because perception and beliefs are so intertwined and mutually affecting. If there is no initial openness and if you already "know" something, you won't be open to experience that suggests otherwise.

But back to Coconut water, indirectly you bring up a very good point and something i've been wanting to add before i saw your post. Coconut water, by itself, will not create any major changes in your body just from occasionally or even often using this stuff. That's not the way this whole thing works, it's a cumulative and overall diet AND lifestyle thing. If you eat my alkaline forming foods, avoid certain combinations, exercise properly, have positive and loving attitude, etc as a trend, AND you use things like Coconut water, that's where there will be more of an effect as regards alkalization.

You can't eat the typical SAD and have that lifestyle and expect that any single food or drink is going to do you much good in and of itself.

RE: electricity--i am fairly ignorant in the subject, but my understanding was that electricity involved both positive and negative charges, and the very essence of it happens through the interplay of both. That's what i was trying to describe, albeit in a very non technical and probably really inadequate way.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 05/19/2013 17:14:06 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Total scam on 05/19/2013 17:36:55 MDT Print View

Oh, there is no doubt at all that 'coconut water' is a total scam. The way the labeling has been done shows that. The lawyers must have had a field day creating that. Mind you, one has to wonder at the morality and ethics of the company lawyers. They MUST know they are absolutely scamming the public.

OK, come in sucker. not the first, not the last.

> races like the Tour de France you'll often see riders grabbing a coke from the car
> especially on hot days or near the end of a race.
Indeed, and why? Three very good reasons:
* 300 mL of really cold water cools the brain stem and throat as it goes down
* a big sugar hit for very short-term energy boost near the end of the race
* a legal!! hit of a powerful stimulant (caffeine) near the end of the race

Note that using caffeine before a race as a stimulant is probably illegal, but the officials ignore the can of Coke near the end. Wonder what tolerance that cost a certain company?
[Correction: the ban on caffeine has been removed.]

Disclosure: A large chocolate Magnum ice cream and an cold Coke from a cafe/bar on a high pass in anywhere in Europe - yep, been there many times! Works great!

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 05/23/2013 17:28:18 MDT.

Clayton Black
(Jivaro) - MLife
Re: Total scam on 05/19/2013 17:43:48 MDT Print View

Magnum Bar w/almonds......food of the gods!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Coconut water concentrate 50% off at Swansons Vitamins on 05/19/2013 18:43:34 MDT Print View

It isn't the "coconut water" that makes the difference, it is the belief that it does.

Next year another miracle product will come along and for a while that will work too.
(come back to this in a few years time and let me know...)

If your medical or emotional condition is aggravated by stress of course finding something that you believe works will help.
For some it is supplements,for others is prayer or meditation or a particular exercise but what you do is not as important as believing that it does work.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Total scam on 05/19/2013 19:07:06 MDT Print View

"Mind you, one has to wonder at the morality and ethics of the company lawyers."

Insert big chuckle here. ;o)

"They MUST know they are absolutely scamming the public."

The second principle students learn in their first year of law school is that "nobody ever went broke underestimating the American Public". *

* H. L. Mencken

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Pasteurized? on 05/19/2013 23:01:08 MDT Print View

This is not as healthy as the raw, non-pasteurized c-water that can be had.. It is also more expensive.

Edited by bcutlerj on 05/19/2013 23:11:25 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Coconut water concentrate 50% off at Swansons Vitamins on 05/20/2013 08:49:16 MDT Print View

Franco, who on this thread ever referred to coconut water as a "miracle product"? All i said was that it has a lot of electrolytes (besides sodium, which is overloaded into so many of our foods anyways), especially potassium. I said it helps to boost energy, particularly if you add b vitamins, and i said because of the large amounts of potassium and magnesium and small amounts of calcium, it will have a strong alkalizing effect on the body, which in my experience is only a good thing unless overdone (which is hard to do).

Not once did i refer to it as anythign even close to being a miracle product.

More specifically, this is what i wrote in my last post before your reply on this thread,

"But back to Coconut water, indirectly you bring up a very good point and something i've been wanting to add before i saw your post. Coconut water, by itself, will not create any major changes in your body just from occasionally or even often using this stuff. That's not the way this whole thing works, it's a cumulative and overall diet AND lifestyle thing. If you eat many alkaline forming foods, avoid certain combinations, exercise properly, have positive and loving attitude, etc as a trend, AND you use things like Coconut water, that's where there will be more of an effect as regards alkalization.*

You can't eat the typical SAD and have that lifestyle and expect that any single food or drink is going to do you much good in and of itself."

*should have also added, " and overall health"

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Pasteurized? on 05/20/2013 08:55:05 MDT Print View

Brian wrote, "This is not as healthy as the raw, non-pasteurized c-water that can be had.. It is also more expensive."

I completely agree.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Growth Hormone/Stimulator on 05/22/2013 09:38:09 MDT Print View

I used to use coconut milk/water as a growth hormone when growing hosta plants invitro.

Make sure you aren't growing any extra body parts when ingesting this stuff;)

This stuff has been know to enlarge body parts;)