Forum Index » Gear Lists » UK glorified day hiking list

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joel Benford
(Morte66)

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
UK glorified day hiking list on 05/12/2013 08:27:54 MDT Print View

So, I'm a day/section hiker, usually taking trains etc to do trails in chunks (SE England is a compact commuterland). Soon I want to do a whole trail in one go, probably the ~100 mile South Downs Way, stopping overnight in B&B etc without camping, as a gentle step up. If I like it, maybe I'll buy the big 3.

I think I can pretty much do this with my day hiking setup and some slight tweaks. Here it is, roughly. I put an asterisk next to the things that are additions to the day setup, and a generous weight estimate for TBD. I'd be grateful if anybody points out any glaring flaws.

Clothes:
Shoes TBD 600g
X-Socks Trekking Extreme Light 50g
Dirty Girls gaiters 35g
Under Armor boxerjock 6 inch 96g
Walking pants TBD 500g
Montane Atomic DT 2.0 rain pants 250g
Rab Aeon LS baselayer 130g
Rab Boreas Windshirt 304g
Rab Stretch Neo W/B shell 550g
Rab Microlight Alpine down jacket 460g
Buff 85g
Sunday Afternoons visor 50g
Total 3110g

Electrical:
Zebralight H500 headlamp + 2 batteries 105g
Sony NEX-6 + 16-50 zoom + battery 461g
Nite Ize ZipLit 20g
Huawei Ascend G300 smartphone (Viewranger GPS) 138g
Mains charger + USB cable est * 200g
Ipod shuffle 1st gen 22g
Grado iGi headphones 9g
Total 955g

Containers:
2x 1L Evian bottles 50g
Deuter 28L pack 1250g
Emergency survival bag 240g
Total: 1540g

Consumables (not sure of weight):
Liquid soap for clothes *
Nuun Hydration tabs
Nuts, fruit, snacks
Toilet paper *
Handwash *

First Aid and Repair:
Band aids
Ibugel for iffy left ankle tendon
Antiseptic cream
Painkillers *
Diabetes meds *
Tape *
Needle and thread *
Blister treatment stuff? *
Foot balm? *

The pack is heavy. I bought it knowing that because it's comfortable, but it's heavy. Otherwise, it's not outright UL gear but I generally paid some mind to weight when I bought it.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts about, well, anything.

Loren B
(ljamesb)

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA
Greetings from a fellow Brit! on 05/12/2013 17:05:11 MDT Print View

I saw that you have a few RAB items so you must be a fan. Just in case you are not aware, there is a RAB outlet store in Alfreton, Derbyshire. May be worth going to check it out sometime.

Anyways I thought the TBD's would be the best place to start. For trousers...sorry, pants, can I suggest some Rohan Ethers in case you want to buy from a UK brand. They are 200g and are durable, windproof, sun protecting, fast drying etc. and also include a belt for that weight.

Shoes. You could try Merrell trail gloves (176g per shoe) which have a mesh upper. My thinking is that water will undoubtedly get into your shoes anyway so it's best that they dry out faster. You can then take waterproof socks and extra wool socks if needed. If it is colder/windier there are Merrell sonic gloves (210g per shoe). They use a softshell type upper. A bit less breathable, but windproof and water resistant.

Your backpack is really very heavy at 1250g so I would consider maybe finding an alternative - try here . The one I use is this patagonia one which weighs around 300g. It is frameless, but very comfortable and does all I need it to do. For more rigidity I cut a small rectangular shaped piece from a rollmat which acts as a backpad when needed. This also doubles as a seat pad for rest stops. If your emergency survival bag is one of those tall orange lifeventure ones, this could also be used to firm up the backpad.

It seems that you are taking two very excellent, but also very heavy jackets with you. In my opinion a baselayer+RAB Cirrus (150g) would do exactly the same job as the Boreas, but be lighter and far more versatile for summer or higher levels of activity. You could take a RAB Spark (250g) or Montane minimus jacket (215g) instead of the stretch neo.

For your meds, get some very small plastic containers so you don't need to bring the whole tube/pack of anything. Also don't take the whole roll of tape

You might want to bring a very light knife which might come in handy like the leatherman style (23g). You could bring chlorine dioxide tablets and carry less water. Also I don't see a compass on your list which you might want to include.

In total I think you could quite easily save 1.6kg+.

Anyways hope this helps!

Edited by ljamesb on 05/12/2013 17:19:48 MDT.

Joel Benford
(Morte66)

Re: Greetings from a fellow Brit! on 05/13/2013 05:29:39 MDT Print View

Thanks Loren. Taking things in order...

Rab: I'm mostly a Rab fan because they sometimes fit me (I'm the thick end of XXL). Montane/Haglofs/Patagonia/Berghaus/TNF mostly don't. Plus, Rab being quite successful, I can actually try their gear in shops.

Shoes: As it happens I have a pair of light Merrel road runners, and I like them. So I was already thinking I'd see if they have something similar with a bit of tread...

Pants: That's a really good weight, but I expect they won't have my size. I'll treat it as a target.

Backpack: tell me about it. The Deuter pack, which has enough mesh to make a MLD InnerNet and enough padding for Ryan Jordan to sleep on, is very comfy and pleasant to use. And it was cheap. But I suspect the sheer weight of it takes a few percent off how long I keep going each day. It served me well for five mile hikes, but...

Windshirt: I do have a Cirrus, but it doesn't really fit (same slim cut as Boreas but no stretch). I'll try it if I can shrink a bit. Also I *really* like the Boreas, I'm a conoisseur of breathability and the Boreas is downright excellent.

W/B shell: I love the Neo, it does to eVent what eVent does to Goretex. But yes, I could drop around half the weight. I think, since changing shell jackets is expensive and I also want to investigate the whole poncho thing, I'll save that for later.

Knife: makes sense.

Water treatment: I got the impression there's not a lot of water along the trail to purify, you mostly have to find a tap. I'll have another look at the map. But chemical water treatment is very light, it wouldn't take much to justify. Perhaps I should put a little in the medical/emergency kit on principle, even if it's not for every day.

Compass: I do feel happy about the idea of a backup.

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Extras on 05/13/2013 05:38:52 MDT Print View

What is all the starred stuff? Blister stuff yes, but B&B's aren't deserted refuges! Toilet paper, soap etc included :) Toothpaste tends not to be.

I wouldn't dream of laundry soap either. Esp for this sort of fairly short duration on somewhere that'll be as dry as the south downs must be likely to be.

The breakfasts will of course provide a crazy amount of fuel each day.

Joel Benford
(Morte66)

Re: Extras on 05/13/2013 08:23:37 MDT Print View

Starred stuff is things I wouldn't normally take on a single day hike, but thought I might want on a "chain day hike" for want of a better term. E.g. a bit of Nikwax TechWash for my baselayers that smell horrible after 2 days and don't like being washed in detergent.

Toilet paper and handwash was for use on the trial. There are some long stretches on the SDW.

Edited by Morte66 on 05/13/2013 08:25:10 MDT.