Trekking Poles-Lightest fully adjustable
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Locus Gear CP2 FL on 05/14/2013 22:53:39 MDT Print View

Hi Pete: I noticed the same indentations in my handles when I used the poles on my SS2. They are slightly less noticeable 2 weeks later. I'm wondering if I should opt for the Tarptent handle adapter that lets me flip the poles handle-side up with the tip in the ground.

Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Locus Gear CP2 FL on 05/15/2013 06:19:59 MDT Print View

Hei Pete, thanks for the report. Much appreciated.

Can you tighten the flip locks with out tools?

Pete Garcia
(pgjgarcia) - MLife

Locale: SE PA
Re: Re: Locus Gear CP2 FL on 05/15/2013 08:25:05 MDT Print View

Yup, you can adjust them without tools- the bolt heads have ridges along the sides. There is a picture on Locus Gear's site of these new bolts they started using.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Does anybody on 05/15/2013 18:45:53 MDT Print View

know whether the Locus Gear CF pole tips can be replaced by the user when they wear out or get broken, as they inevitably will?

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Does anybody on 05/15/2013 20:31:32 MDT Print View

Tom, the Locus Gear owner told me that changing the tips was possible, but not easy. I plan on keeping the caps on mine.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Does anybody on 05/15/2013 21:07:08 MDT Print View

"Tom, the Locus Gear owner told me that changing the tips was possible, but not easy. I plan on keeping the caps on mine."

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the beta. One thing is not clear to me: What exactly are caps?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Does anybody on 05/15/2013 21:14:32 MDT Print View

"What exactly are caps?"

An exceptionally depressing hockey team.

Or, perhaps, these: http://www.rei.com/product/807598/black-diamond-trekking-pole-tip-protectorswalking-tips-pair

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anybody on 05/15/2013 21:23:28 MDT Print View

"An exceptionally depressing hockey team."

They all depress me.

"Or, perhaps, these: http://www.rei.com/product/807598/black-diamond-trekking-pole-tip-protectorswalking-tips-pair"

That's sort of what I suspected, but couldn't quite believe would be the case. If true, it would render a very exciting UL trekking pole worthless for any serious mountain work. If you can't replace the tips, the inevitable wearing out or breakage of a tip would mean replacing the entire lower section of the pole. All the way from Japan. I'm totally bummed out, because I have been lusting after these puppies from afar for some time now. Somebody tell me it ain't so. ;o{

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Has anyone used the LocusGear CP2 twist lock? on 06/13/2013 08:13:07 MDT Print View

I'm exploring the options for lightweight carbon trekking poles. The LocusGear poles seem popular, but everyone seems to want to the flick lock (FL), which are unavailable at the moment.

I currently have komperdell twist lock poles (TL) and have had no problems with using the TL mechanism. Actually, truth be told, I have been anything but gentle to these komperdells and the TL has been solid.

Has any one used the LocusGear TLs? Is there a real disadvantage to twist locks that I am missing? The TLs are lighter.

greg c
(spindrifter) - F
MSR UL-3 on 06/13/2013 09:37:33 MDT Print View

I purchased the MSR UL-3 after years of the Leki twist lock system. Too many failures on the latter. The MSR is relatively light, and most importantly to me, they are bomber. The push button locking mechanism is extremely reliable. I use them on approaches when climbing Cascade volcanoes and they have endured repeated beatings. The grips are comfortable and use a material that minimizes conductive heat loss. They are pricey, but considering the construction and MSR warranty they may be my last set of poles.

Edited by spindrifter on 06/13/2013 09:39:13 MDT.