Patagonia Nano Puff alternative?
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Ayres
(scrivner) - F

Locale: Southern Turkey
Patagonia Nano Puff alternative? on 05/10/2013 23:21:55 MDT Print View

Could anyone suggest an alternative to the Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket? I’m looking for something that packs as compactly and weighs no more, offers the same amount of insulation, but costs less.

Thanks in advance.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
maybe this on 05/10/2013 23:26:33 MDT Print View

If a small fits you (only one left)... then this one could work.

http://secondascent.com/mens-clothing/jackets/insulated/outdoor-research-fraction-pullover.html

Large comes in at 13oz, so the small would probably be 10-12 oz range.
Uses Primaloft Sport though, so very slightly less warm, but better when wet and greater durability.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 05/10/2013 23:29:51 MDT.

James Ayres
(scrivner) - F

Nano Puff on 05/11/2013 00:12:02 MDT Print View

Thanks, but I'm looking for a XXL and a L

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Lands End on 05/11/2013 00:21:57 MDT Print View

Lands End sells a primaloft jacket very similar to the Patagonia Nano Puff. I just picked up a Nano Puff for myself on sale for $120 last month. My son really liked it and asked for one for himself, but because he loses jackets all the time, I looked around for an alternative.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-primaloft-packable-jacket~246232_59.html?sku_0=::BLA

It's very similar to mine. Annoyingly so since it cost $89 list. Lands End had a 40% off sale last month so I got his for $55 shipped.

Join the Lands End mailing list and get additional discounts.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Patagonia Nano Puff alternative? on 05/11/2013 00:31:08 MDT Print View

Likely imperceptibly less warm (hood will likely make it warmer), but a lot less weight (~6oz less) and money:
http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-thermostatic-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
Re: Lands End on 05/11/2013 02:23:10 MDT Print View

Joe,
is the shell material durable or easy to tear?looks great except no hood but 100g of primaloft makes this a micropuff and without a hood!Must be hella warm.Special is still on til 5 13 with promo code.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 05/11/2013 05:09:31 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 20:17:53 MDT.

Matthew Reese
(Bradktn)
Stoic Hadron Down Anorak on 05/11/2013 05:44:52 MDT Print View

I picked up one of these last year, and really like it. Very warm and light. They tend to run a little small, in my experience.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - MLife

Re: Re: Lands End on 05/11/2013 08:34:43 MDT Print View

Seems well made but we haven't had it long. I expect it to hold up.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
LL Bean on 05/11/2013 08:50:13 MDT Print View

There's this, from LL Bean: (I have the pullover but there's a full-zip model too). It's great.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68427?feat=ascent%20packaway-SR0&page=ascent-packaway-pullover

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Nano Puff Alternative on 05/11/2013 09:11:24 MDT Print View

Check out Montbell - they have a lot of insulation options as well. I have an Ex Light in XXL and love it.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
MEC on 05/11/2013 09:18:38 MDT Print View

The MEC Uplink Jacket is much, much cheaper and 3oz lighter, but it uses 40g/m2 insulation instead of 60g/m2 used in the Nano Puff Jacket. Still, worth a consideration. My understanding is when the hooded version is available (it currently is not), it comes as 60g/m2.

Anton Solovyev
(solovam) - M

Locale: Colorado, Utah
Re: Patagonia Nano Puff alternative? on 05/11/2013 12:00:53 MDT Print View

BTW, I tried a few other ones (synthetic insulation jackets), didn't like them. Nano puff I loved. Found it on sale at backcountry.com for $120.

James Ayres
(scrivner) - F

Nano Puff alternatives on 05/11/2013 12:19:24 MDT Print View

Thanks to all. I didn't know there were so many alternatives. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

I guess I should have asked how the Nano Puff type of insulation compares to down. Maybe that's another thread.

Sean Smith
(Spookykinkajou) - F
Mh on 05/11/2013 17:41:26 MDT Print View

I got the same linked mountain hardwear off steep and cheap for low $. It's a nice jacket but the sleeves are oddly a little short. I have other MH gear and the same size fits better than this coat. I still wear it a lot and just deal with the short sleeves. It's only the sleeves... Everything else is perfect!

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Mh on 05/11/2013 18:14:10 MDT Print View

The armpits and chest are a little tight when used as a 'belay' jacket as well, over a softshell and a cap 2 baselayer. I sized up to a large (10.6oz), and it fits great - both sleeve length and chest room. It's a bit long now, but that's not a problem at all (almost preferrable).

Edited by lindahlb on 05/11/2013 18:39:34 MDT.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
lands end primaloft-beware of massive seizing on 05/11/2013 21:33:32 MDT Print View

they have an LE store in Sears and i saw the jacket there today.It looks nice,well made and the shell seems a little more tough than the nano.
Thankfully i had the chance to try it on instead of buying online and getting a surprise.

They only had a Large and the thing was very huge.I am 5 11,175 lbs :the chest and shoulders were super baggy but the bottom was somewhat tapered.The neck area was massive and flopping about.The arm cuffs were also massive-they had the elastic thing but you had to have wrists as thick as a loaf of bread for them to work.
I saw the size number as 42-44...not sure but i think that is an xl not large.
The medium is stated as 38-40 which is normally too small for me.

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - MLife

le fit on 05/11/2013 22:13:55 MDT Print View

The Lands end website has measurements for size if you have questions. My son is 5'7' slight frame and the medium fits nicely.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Patagonia Nano Puff alternative? on 05/11/2013 22:23:21 MDT Print View

A windshirt and light fleece like 100w, R1, or Power Stretch make an excellent and IMHO, a superior alternative to a Nano Puff. The combination is warmer, more breathable and much more versatile.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: Patagonia Nano Puff alternative? on 05/11/2013 22:56:00 MDT Print View

Dale sez "A windshirt and light fleece like 100w, R1, or Power Stretch make an excellent and IMHO, a superior alternative to a Nano Puff. The combination is warmer, more breathable and much more versatile."

This make no sense to me.

If it is cold enough to hike in a fleece and/or windshirt I will certainly need the additional warmth of a puffy when I rest and/or at camp. If it is not cold enough to hike in a fleece and/or windshirt (but perhaps some warmth is needed for breaks and camp) then having a Nano Puff jacket/vest (or down shirt/vest) is a lighter/warmer/more compact solution than fleece.

So for me, fleece is a Fall/Winter/Spring piece only.

Edited by rmjapan on 05/12/2013 05:06:15 MDT.