Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Need a new camera
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Re: Need a new camera on 05/12/2013 11:35:55 MDT Print View

I've never regretted spending what seemed at the time to be too much on a camera (within reason, of course).

In the 1970's I purchased a very nice Rollei 35LED. Years later I realized I'd spent almost 20 times the cost of the camera on film and development. The Rollei worked fine, but for not much more I could have purchased a better model with next to no impact on the overall cost, and probably gotten better pictures (maybe).

Nowadays film and developing aren't part of the equation. In fact about the only consideration is how long until you just can't resist buying a new camera since the new ones are so much better than the one you bought just 5 years ago.

I've decided to go for a Sony RX100 (to replace my great but slow and somewhat heavy Canon G5). The RX100 currently costs about $575 new, a lot less used, but still a lot more than you mentioned. But it got such great reviews, and probably will take much better pictures than a $200 camera, you might consider moving up.

I guess it all depends on how much you expect to use the camera and how important picture quality is to you.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
Needing a new or used camera on 05/15/2013 08:33:51 MDT Print View

Well all I to was looking for a decent camera also that I would take on a trip. As of late I have been leaving them at home and letting others take the pics. I now realize for what ever reason I like looking back on my photos of a trip and sharing them, especially if an area or event that few see. So taking the advice from the above posts on the tech. aspects of a camera and a purchase that hurts a bit I pulled the trigger on a LX7 on eBay. I recently in the last 5 months have sold a bunch of old camera gear on eBay and look at buying and selling on eBay as no big deal, not every bodies cup of tea. If it is a good price and one does not loose there head in the bidding process it can be like renting something for a while, play with it for 6 months and if you do not like it sell it. So thank you all for helping me narrow down my pick as the choices were bewildering and am looking forward to an enthusiasts camera my first since my 21/4 days of old.

Edited by Hillhikerz on 05/15/2013 08:58:10 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Pulled the trigger on 06/28/2013 22:45:48 MDT Print View

Thanks for the advice ya'll.

As an update I ended up buying a P310. I had several reasons for this choice.

First I tried some of the tricks Rick mentioned. I did get better images but still not as good as I used to get with my old Nikon P&S.

Second with a trip coming up I needed to make a decision and order something now or risk not getting it in time. I know the Nikon will work and I'm used to that brand. Its a safe option to get me through this summer.

Aaron W
(ADW245) - MLife

Locale: Chula Vista
Need a new camera on 08/11/2013 17:38:44 MDT Print View

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am in the same boat. I need a camera for an upcoming trip. Locally I can get a Panasonic lumix zs25 for $229.00 with a 16g memory card. I just wanted to get your take on it.

Thanks for your help.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Need a New Camera on 08/11/2013 19:25:26 MDT Print View

Sorry I can't say much about that camera Aaron

As an update on my camera situation, I talked to knowledgeable gentlemen and Wolfe Camera and he said the Nikon P310 is about as good as you can get before you make the jump to $400 cameras.

I took it to Wyoming this summer and in my opinion it took way better pics then my old Olympus. Not perfect mind you, its still possible to create blurry images but I got some shots that I know would have been bad with my old camera. I'm happy with my choice.

Steve Chan
(sychan)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Don't pick from the latest and greatest, buy previous generation on 08/16/2013 23:11:05 MDT Print View

Camera gear turns over very rapidly, and the improvements are really only incremental from one model to another.

I think you would be well served buy buying something like a 3 year old Micro 4/3rds camera. Looking on Amazon, you can get a full new Olympus E-PL3 kit for $270 delivered. The sensor is "vast" compared to the sensors on an inexpensive, current digital P&S and on cameraphones. It will have much better performance in low light and you can swap lenses if you want a long telephoto or a really fast lens for low light photography.

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Need a new camera on 08/17/2013 15:57:03 MDT Print View

>I can get a Panasonic lumix zs25 for $229.00 with a 16g memory card. I just wanted >to get your take on it.

I got a Lumix DSC-ZS15 last year and it's been a great camera for backpacking pics. Not the lightest but great features and a decent battery life. There are a few still out there.