Best water bottle with wide mouth and light?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:08:04 MDT Print View

Hey Guys,

So I tried to use a gatorade bottle for my water on my last hike because it was light weight, but I realized the mouth wasnt wide enough to insert my steri-pen. I don't want a nalgene because they're heavy. What are my options?

Edited by StevenDavisPhoto on 05/08/2013 22:18:54 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:20:52 MDT Print View

Leaving aside the fact that steri-pens are for sissies...

wow, I think gatoraid bottles are the widest at the moment leaving aside some exotic product. I'm sure someone will post here that they found the perfect bottle in a Thailand grocery store and there will be a run on these for a while as BPL people find overseas sources.

I used to love the old Aqua-Fina bottles, but they stopped making the wide mouth versions several years back, and I don't think they would have worked with the steri-pen either.

Why don't you take a look at the site (US Plastics) below - actually got the tip to look here on this site. I just ordered what is basically a lifetime supply of all kinds of dinky bottles and containers for like $25, so the site has other uses too. Maybe try a search on "wide-mouthed bottles". This is one serious site and many of the products have a tech sheet .pdf file with not only the exact weight, but detailed measurements. Here is a link to start, with one appropriate search result.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=29399&catid=661&clickid=searchresults

Edited by millonas on 05/08/2013 22:28:20 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:22:10 MDT Print View

The steripen will work with a gatorade bottle if you fill it all the way to top so the water sensor can touch.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:30:43 MDT Print View

what do you use to filter water then thats light weight? the backup tablets i have take 4 hours. iodine tastes nasty. the other drops dont kill everything.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:42:51 MDT Print View

You could try the Nalgene Cantene.
Same weight (in proportion) as the Gatorade.
The 32 oz is about 2oz.
Some report leackage without too much use.
I have one but it has only been out on a few trips.
I have used a 96 oz narrow top version for years with no problem, so I suspect that either handling/storage or just the wide top could be the problem.
(you could always use the Nalgene for filtering and a couple or so of the Gatorade for storing...)
Nalgene

Edited by Franco on 05/08/2013 22:45:01 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 22:50:24 MDT Print View

Steripen has several models that work well with soda bottles and larger openings.

Steripen has several models that need a huge opening.

Most "wide mouth" bottle issues can be solved by choosing the right Steripen, or using your pan to treat the water.

--G.B.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Steripen stuff on 05/08/2013 22:57:46 MDT Print View

I used to use a 32oz yogurt container that my pot would nest into; it doubled as a food bowl but never really used it that way. I now have an old platy bottle cut off at the top which I use for the steripen. Someone on BPL modified a Gatorade bottle cap so the adventurer could fit into it and then the bottle was flipped upside down.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Steripen stuff on 05/08/2013 23:09:26 MDT Print View

Check out this thread and my response:
Gatorade Bottle SteriPen Adapter

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/08/2013 23:24:57 MDT Print View

Ah, of course. Duh. Use a nice soft bottle. Expensive but light. And will last a good while with care. Maytake a little finesse to wave that thing around in there without spilling. Gatoraid adapter looks good too. Still not using one of those things :-P

"what do you use to filter water then thats light weight? the backup tablets i have take 4 hours. iodine tastes nasty. the other drops dont kill everything."

What we are talking about in most cases is giardia and cryptosporidia. As for the "non-sissy" methods of purification (non-sissy implies understanding and accepting that there is always a small risk of catching something that is, in the end, only a nuisance), I like Aqua Mira. It should work pretty well for these if you leave it for 30 minutes or so. But yes, 4 hours if you are very worried. Or you can crank the concentration if you are especially worried. Seems to be the vast majority of folks on here do the same. No taste at all (for me), unless you have an X-men super-tongue, but some people are very sensitive. Also unless you are subjected to one of my friends who once didn't listen when I gave him instruction and used about 5 times the concentration. Then it only tastes a bit "citrusy" to me. Most people who have a gripe about iodine, myself included, don't taste aqua mira. Clorine Dioxide is the same thing used for tapwater in most places, so you might already be semi-trained to discount any taste you might pick up.

I have used aqua mira many times on brown tannin-laced water from a trough or pond that had 10 inches of dead leaves on the bottom and bugs swimming around (a good sign actually). I keep a bit of noseeum netting to filter the bugs and "floties". There are some folks who are more anal (also sissies, LOL) who use a coffee filter. Main thing is that aqua mira should make it (reasonably)safe if you follow the instructions. What is a "reasonable" risk, I do admit, depends on the person.

Other than having to wait a *little* with aqua mira, it is great, especially if you don't demand %100 certainty (and are good with %99.999) unless there is a serious illness involved. You are done in 20 minutes or so depending on how "sure" you want to be. However, if you are going to the 3rd world with possible viruses and such, use the steri-pen (AND aqua mira and iodine for that matter) and go the full monte.

Full disclosure, I backpack a lot in the Sierra, so while exposed somewhat, I am probably spoiled a bit.

Edited by millonas on 05/08/2013 23:56:39 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/09/2013 00:12:46 MDT Print View

I see the identity thief has made an appearance.

--B.G.--

Susan D
(susand) - M

Locale: montana
Aquifina bottle on 05/09/2013 00:22:40 MDT Print View

Steven,

I did the same thing last summer - brought Gatorade bottles only to find I couldn't use them to treat the water with my Steripen (ended up just drinking it untreated on that trip). oops. Then I saw this thread and copied the idea (thanks, guys). I cut the bottle about an inch higher than the OP, and I used a permanent marker to make marks on the bottle for measuring to rehydrate food (copied from someone else, as well). It worked great, and the bottle is still in great shape after using it for months.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Nalgene Canteen on 05/09/2013 05:47:18 MDT Print View

I've used the Nalgene Canteen soft-sided, wide-mouth bottles for years without issue. I had one finally leak on my last outing but it was probably 6 years old. I use them for the same reason--to use my Steripen but also because the wide opening makes it fast to fill in streams and easy to add Gatorade power without needing a funnel. The weight penalty of a couple of ounces over a Platy is justifiable for me given their convenience.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Cook Pot on 05/09/2013 06:04:51 MDT Print View

I use one of the Steripens that was designed to work with narrow mouths.
Most people I know who have the other style use their cook pot to treat their water and then transfer to their water bottle.

Don't worry about what people say about the Steripen, it is a great system that works well and allows you to carry less weight.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
OTC water bottles work with steripen... on 05/09/2013 09:08:46 MDT Print View

Actually, there are some over the counter supermarket water bottles with a little wider mouth that can work with the steripen 'adventurer opti' model (3.6 oz w batteries)... you just have to look around... carefully.

The 'classic' style steripen (6.4 oz) with the round blue rubber neck can be used with narrow mouthed bottles, including platypus bladders, but it is a couple of ounces heavier than the lightest steripen, and in my experience less reliable with glitches than than the newer model steripens.

bill

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/09/2013 09:39:21 MDT Print View

The new version of the "Classic" Steripen doesn't suffer the bugs of the early versions.

The newer Classic will last much longer on one set of batteries than the other Steripens, but you do pay for it in added weight.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
how long batteries last in various Steripens? on 05/09/2013 09:53:58 MDT Print View

the Adventurer Opti will make about 50 liters of water on one set of CR123 lithium ion batteries which lasts me for about a 10 day backpack in the Sierra in the summer. (note you can buy these batteries at Amazon for about 80% less than your corner drug store)

Looking at the REI write-up for the Steripen Classic it seems the 4 AA batteries in the classic will purify twice as many quarts/liters... 100... but it's easy enough to take an extra set of CR123's for the Opti if you need to go more than 10 days... and still be a couple of ounces lighter than the classic, me thinks

Note, I always take some iodine tablets as backup in case the Steripen fails

thanks,

bill

D S
(smoke) - F
Better than Gatorade Bottles on 05/09/2013 15:58:28 MDT Print View

Don't know if the steri pen will work, but I like 32 oz Powerade bottles much better than the Gatorades.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Better than Gatorade Bottles on 05/09/2013 17:26:49 MDT Print View

Absolutely.

I was in Thailand and a sissy gave me a bottle of Powerade to slake my cravings. The bottles, it turns out, are pretty nice.

I am not without standards, however, and draw the line just this side of those fruity steripens.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/09/2013 17:41:45 MDT Print View

I personally find Powerade and Gatorade bottle lids to be inferior to standard soda bottle lids.

They break to easilly when dropped and loose their seal over repeat uses.

I have 1 liter seltzer bottles that have outlasted sport drink bottle 10x over.

Sport drink bottles are usually heavier as well.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Best water bottle with wide mouth and light? on 05/09/2013 18:57:45 MDT Print View

I have no idea if it's "best", but awhile back got a stanley brand water bottle that is made out of tritan plastic and which has a fairly wide mouth and is somewhat light weight. But not super light weight by any means. What i like about it is the tritan plastic--very tough, strong, ordorless, and the only plastic i really trust to put very hot water in time after time in a consistent sense. I don't often bring anymore since lately i don't often bring my cookset anymore and opt for cold food. I've been experimenting more and more with going as lightweight as possible for the gear i currently have, including not bringing much food to begin with.