Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: First good quality 2 person tent under $100

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
WTB: First good quality 2 person tent under $100 on 05/07/2013 14:04:59 MDT Print View

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a two person tent for a backpacking trip in a few weeks. I also plan on going on several other camping trips this summer. This will be my first decent quality tent, so I've looked around a bit and it seems like the best option might be to get something used. My budget is about $100 or less. Let me know what you have, thanks!

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
tough go on 05/07/2013 15:12:25 MDT Print View

You're likely to have a tough time getting a "good quality" lightweight two person tent for under $100, even used. You might keep an eye out for a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Outfitter ( SMD Lunar Duo Outfitter, which sells for $160 and might be close to $100 if you could find a used one. It's not especially light for standards here at BPL, but at around 60oz it's much better than most comparably priced tents.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"WTB: First good quality 2 person tent under $100 on 05/07/2013 15:24:05 MDT Print View

It is unlikely you'll get a UL tent for that, but you could get an REI Half Dome used for that, or less. Ebay is full of them and it wouldn't surprise me if someone here doesn't have one. It's not UL, but split between 2 people it would be reasonable and it's a good quality tent. Make sure you get the 2 man model.

If your budget increases by another $100 or so it will open a whole world of UL possibilities.

Nick H
(galway) - MLife
What weight on 05/07/2013 15:27:31 MDT Print View

Do you have a maximum or target weight?

Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
Thanks on 05/07/2013 15:28:29 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input, I'm not necessarily looking for anything super lightweight, just something that packs up to a reasonable size, will keep me dry, and will at least get me through the summer. Maybe I came to the wrong forum since it is "backpackinglight.com" but the forums on here seemed to be a lot more active than other places I've looked.

Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
Target weight on 05/07/2013 15:35:52 MDT Print View

I also don't really have a target weight. I'm pretty new to backpacking so I'm just looking to get started without spending too much money on anything. I've got my eye on a few tents on ebay, but I figured I'd check here as well. Something like the REI half dome would be perfect.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Target weight on 05/07/2013 16:19:11 MDT Print View

"Something like the REI half dome would be perfect."

If you live close to a big REI store, try to hit there for their "scratch and dent" sale. They sell some slightly used or dinged stuff for cheap prices.

--B.G.--

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: The Concrete Jungle
gear trade on 05/07/2013 18:46:19 MDT Print View

This might work for you (not mine)...

http://www.geartrade.com/item/321856/mountain-hardwear-drifter-2-tent

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
2 person tent on 05/07/2013 19:24:54 MDT Print View

Thease are bomber tents for the price.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/mountainsmith-morrison-2.aspx?utm_source=GoogleMerch&utm_medium=dfm&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CPPM-dOshbcCFWQ6QgodZT4AqQ

Sometimes they go on sale for around $100.00 check around.

Jack

Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
Re: 2 person tent on 05/07/2013 20:04:02 MDT Print View

Not to change the subject from a want to buy ad, but any idea what the difference between the morrison and celestial are? The celestial is pretty cheap on sierra trading post with a coupon.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: 2 person tent on 05/07/2013 22:18:41 MDT Print View

I think they're identical, as far as I can tell they both have the same specs. How much are they?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 05/07/2013 22:19:17 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
WTB: First good quality 2 person tent under $100 on 05/07/2013 22:54:54 MDT Print View

No harm in asking.
There are many here that have more tents than fingers so not at all unusual to see good tents for sale.
it may be that some also don't want to advertise that they have one for sale.
I am back at 14 or 15 but don't have any that I can part with...at the moment.

Loren B
(ljamesb)

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA
tarp? on 05/08/2013 11:43:18 MDT Print View

Maybe you could describe in a bit more detail the climate you intend to use it in? If it will be very hot and humid with lots of bugs, then a tent may be be the best option for you. If not though have you considered a tarp, bivvy, trekking pole combination?

I think others on the forum would be able to advise you better than me, but I expect you would be able to get a light and comfortable setup for $100 with help from people on the forum. The less you carry, the more fun you'll have so I would just forget about a tent if you can and go straight to a lighter option especially for the summer months. Maybe make a post in the Gear section and I'm sure you'll get a ton of advice about where to find the things you would need cheaply. Just an idea.

Edited by ljamesb on 05/08/2013 11:45:32 MDT.

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Kelty on 05/08/2013 12:16:39 MDT Print View

I have a Kelty 2 person tent (think Salida) that weighs ~67oz. It has a small rip in the netting, but other than that is in good shape.

I believe this is it...
http://www.kelty.com/p-497-salida-2.aspx

Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
Re: tarp? on 05/08/2013 12:27:09 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input. I won't be anywhere terribly hot or humid, but there's usually a lot of bugs around. Posting in the gear section might not be a bad idea. I'm looking at a few different options right now, it's probably good to get a few opinions. Seems like users on this forum are pretty knowledgable.

Also, Jason, how much are you looking to get for the kelty?

Edited by AdamBuzzard on 05/08/2013 12:27:55 MDT.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Alps Mountaineering on 05/08/2013 12:27:28 MDT Print View

On a budget the Alps Mountaineering Mystique (non-freestanding) and the freestanding Zephyr are good options and reasonably light weight. The Zephyr goes by Zenith on Sierra Trading post, and with a 35% off coupon could be had for under $100.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-zenith-2-al-tent-2-person-3-season~p~1480d/?filterString=tents~d~228%2FALPS-Mountaineering~b~1156%2F&colorFamily=03

I have a Mystique 1.5 and I am happy with it's performance.

Adam Buzzard
(AdamBuzzard) - F
Re: Alps Mountaineering on 05/08/2013 12:29:32 MDT Print View

I'd love to go with the zenith/zephyr, but unfortunately it's on backorder and I need a tent for a trip before it would ship.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Alps Mountaineering on 05/08/2013 13:58:34 MDT Print View

Email Alps directly to see what they can provide. I know that they have a discount for Boy Scouts.