November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Noobie Bivy Questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: tarp/bivy combo under 1lb on 05/07/2013 18:05:50 MDT Print View

My current solution

GG SpinnTwinn
ZPacks Poncho Groundsheet

Don't need Bivy if no bugs. If Bugs then will bring/use my Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy 7.8oz. I am thinking about getting the MLD Bug Bivy but made with full nanoseum. I find the Silnylon bottom to be way too slippery and I don't really need a waterproof bottom with the Zpacks Poncho Groundsheet.

I would highly recommend a larger Tarp than 5x9. During rain you will find that size is terribly restrictive. You won't be able to do much except lay down.

Edited by randalmartin on 05/07/2013 18:07:11 MDT.

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas and light! on 05/08/2013 22:43:07 MDT Print View

I use a custom Zpacks cuben tarp and a MLD bug bivy in hot, humid Arkansas. You'll get bit from time to time and sometimes get a little moist, but that is the cost of an SUL experience. Whoever says that there is not room for a bivy in humid and buggy environments has a pack that weighs too much! I lost my charts and graphs though i'm pretty sure the combo is around just a half pound.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Heat and Bugs on 05/09/2013 06:26:08 MDT Print View

The SMD Meteor has a tall half mesh top. More comfortable in hot bug season.

Doesn't provide as much protection under a 5x8 tarp as a full coverage bivy, but I consider it the best compromise for warmer weather where some splash/spray in heavy rain is OK.

Ian B.

Locale: PNW
Re: Noobie Bivy Questions on 05/09/2013 07:24:30 MDT Print View

I found that the USGI bivy vented well so I'm doubtful that you'll find a traditional bivy which will be less muggy than that other than a bug bivy. I've slept through some torrential downpours under a poncho with the USGI bivy; this was my primary shelter in the infantry for a decade. There was nothing psychadelic about it. Just a simple A frame with bungee cords. I found that the poncho would do 90% of the work and the bivy was just for the occasional spray. I could have used a large ground sheet folded over me or a DWR bivy and had basically the same performance for less weight.

If I was shopping for what you are looking for and trying to stay on a budget....

Borah/Bearpaw/etc 5.5 x 9 tarp. 8.6oz $50

5x7 polycro ground sheet which you can pull over your sleep system for added protection from rain spray. 3.65oz $10

Sea to summit nano bug canopy 2.9oz $50

Total weight 15.15oz (still need to add lines & stakes)
Total cost $110

IMHO, if you want better performance than this, it's probably going to require writing a bigger check for a 8x10 cuben fiber tarp or the acceptance of a modest weight penalty and going with a larger silnylon tarp.

Same as above but with Zpacks 8x10 tarp 6.7oz $255

Total weight 13.25oz (still need to add lines & stakes)
Total cost $315

Same as above but with Borah/Bearpaw/etc 8x10 tarp 13oz $95
Total Weight 19.55 oz (still need to add lines & stakes)
Total cost $155

Edited by IDBLOOM on 05/09/2013 07:25:23 MDT.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
5x8 Tarp with DWR Bivy on 05/09/2013 08:09:48 MDT Print View

There is no reason you can't get by with a 5x8 tarp and a DWR bivy. That can be pretty light and not very expensive. It is pretty easy to go under a pound even with stakes and cord. It is also easy to get it all for under $200.

I do think that a 6x9 tarp would be tempting as an upgrade in wetter climates, but it isn't a very common size.

Edited by staehpj1 on 05/09/2013 08:10:24 MDT.

David Olsen

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Inexpensive tarp and bivy on 05/09/2013 09:01:09 MDT Print View

A couple of new products I make. Tarp AND bivy for $87.
$29 for mini tarp
In stock
$58 bivy/sleeping bag cover
Just came in, need to add to shopping cart and get exact weight.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Tarp AND bivy for $87 on 05/09/2013 09:35:44 MDT Print View

"Tarp AND bivy for $87"
Very kool!

At that price that combination could also prove to be a good emergency shelter for non-UL types as well.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Tarp and Bivy for $87 on 05/09/2013 09:53:37 MDT Print View

Very cool deal. I used a similar bivy for years until the bottom leaked. I like the tiny tarp but honestly I'd pay a bit extra for the 6x10 tarp if you can. Much for a bit more money and weight you'll be much more comfortable in the rain.