Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarptent SS2 or Double Rainbow
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dustin Smith
(dsmith87)

Locale: Bethesda, MD
Tarptent SS2 or Double Rainbow on 05/06/2013 18:56:02 MDT Print View

So I've decided to get a new shelter and figured I'd see what everyone thinks of my respective choices. I've read as much as I can on the forums and have pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Tarptent Stratospire 2 or the Double Rainbow. I'm coming from a MSR Hubba Hubba and wanted to cut weight but still wanted something big enough to use when the wife decides she's up for a trip (somewhat of a rare occurrence). I also have looked at several other options included the BA Flycreek line (worried about interior size and only one door/vestibule) and the Hexamid Twin (awesome but above my budget). I'll put my pros and cons below and if anyone can address some of my issues with each shelter that would be great.

Stratospire 2
Pros:
- huge living space
- double wall for inclement weather
- dual vestibules / living space
Cons / Questions:
- less experience with non-freestanding shelters so will be a bit of a learning curve
- will the larger footprint make it harder to find suitable sites?

Double Rainbow
Pros:
- semi-freestanding / easier set-up
- still fairly roomy (more than enough for me on solo trips)
- dual vestibules / living space
Cons / Questions:
- how much do the inward sloping walls affect headspace? (picture's on the site make it look like a minimal issue but I've heard some say it's more of a deal)
- and with the shorter headspace does the insertable liner make this even more of a problem?

Alina G
(Alina) - MLife

Locale: Toronto, Ontario
Double Rainbow on 05/06/2013 23:19:28 MDT Print View

Hi Dustin,
I do not have a lot of experience with tents but I do have the Double Rainbow.
The DR is a little small for 2 people. Me and my husband are average size and height. When you put 2 sleeping pads inside there is no more space width wise. The walls do come close to your face when lying down. How much space there is or there is not can be quite subjective though. What is small for me might be big for you and vice versa. I have not tried the liner and I have not tested the tent in severe weather. You will be travelling mostly by yourself so in such case you do not need to worry about the space. It will be more than enough. In spite of the small space (for 2 people) I still like it and I do not regret buying it. If I was to buy something bigger then it would be heavier and I really wanted the tent as light as possible.
Thank you.
Alina

J C
(Joomy) - M
DR on 05/06/2013 23:33:52 MDT Print View

Not much to back this up but I prefer the Double Rainbow, not having used or seen either =D

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
SS2/DR on 05/07/2013 02:48:47 MDT Print View

Suffice to say I sold my DR when my SS2 arrived! We found the DR a little too cosy for two - "cosy" is subjective though.

We spent 10 weeks in the SS2 last year, and found it an awesome tent - very spacious, airy, dual entry, good size vestibules, and not at all difficult to put up - very quick even for one once you get the hang of it. It does take a while to get your head around the unique geometry though!

I've never found it difficult to find a suitable sized site - it's not a huge tent, just spacious and very liveable.

Henry rocks!

The SS1 will fit two 20" mats if the bathtub floor is collapsed a little - something to consider depending on the proportion of time you'll be using it solo compared to as a honeymoon suite.

Nick H
(galway) - MLife
Lunar Duo on 05/07/2013 10:08:05 MDT Print View

Have you considered a SMD Lunar Duo? It has tons of headroom and I am able to fit 2 long wide Exped pads in it with about 10 inches left on the end of the pads. But they are a squeeze side wall to side wall.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Lunar Duo on 05/07/2013 10:16:39 MDT Print View

I saw one at Desert Rats in St. George a couple of weeks ago. Wow - it is huge. It would definitely be on my radar as a 2 plus gear shelter. Impressive.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Lunar Duo as a Two-Person Tent on 05/07/2013 10:42:57 MDT Print View

I have a Lunar Duo and love it. Keep in mind that it expects you to use your trekking poles for support (or you can buy the optional poles from SMD). It can be a little tight side-to-side, but because there is a vestibule on each side it's never really bothered me that much.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
SS2 on 05/07/2013 12:37:21 MDT Print View

Will 2 Exped Long/Wide pads fit into the SS2 without too much trouble?

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: SS2 on 05/07/2013 12:56:10 MDT Print View

> Will 2 Exped Long/Wide pads fit into the SS2 without too much trouble?

Yes, easily

Corbin Camp
(heycorb)

Locale: Southeast
Have a DR on 05/07/2013 13:34:17 MDT Print View

You can't go wrong with either. I spent last Friday night in my DR and we had some really strong storms come through (heavy rain and winds 25-30mph). Aside from a little shaking, my DR held up great and I did not have it pitched with the poles inside. The shape really helps in the wind resistance department. I was dry while many of the other tents at our site were not. Is it small? Subjective. It's plenty big for a 2 man backpacking tent. I bought it because of its interior height and that it could be freestanding. It's a palace for one person. Two 6' adults are tight but not so much where I would call it cramped. The interior height and dual entry really helps to reduce that. The liner is a good add-on. Sure it adds a little weight, but it does a good job keeping the condensation drip off of you. If conditions are going to be less humid, leave it home.

Now if Henry could make a cuben fiber double rainbow....

Edited by heycorb on 05/07/2013 14:04:42 MDT.