Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS Golite Shangri La-1 and Bug Nest

Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
FS Golite Shangri La-1 and Bug Nest on 05/06/2013 18:54:00 MDT Print View

I have a new condition Shangri-La-1 in yellow. The fly has been used for two nights and the bug nest not at all.
I like it, I'm only trying to sell it so I can swap it for a green.

Asking $125 paypal shipped for both. At this point I am probably not interested in separating the nest and fly but you are welcome to ask, if I get separate offers on both before someone buys the whole thing that would work.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 12:47:20 MDT Print View

I'm no longer interested in selling the SL-1 for cash BUT if anyone is interested in trading their green fly tarp for my yellow fly tarp I'd pay shipping plus $20. I'm happy with the yellow but if I'm going to Wyoming I'd prefer a less obvious color so as not to attract bears.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 12:52:57 MDT Print View

luke, before you jump on the green color, know that the yellow fabric is tougher and doesn't give as much. The green fabric just feels much cheaper than the yellow fabric in my opinion. don't know what others think, but this is my assessment from owning both.

Edited by rbeard on 05/09/2013 12:53:53 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Green Fabric on 05/09/2013 13:07:52 MDT Print View

Hum that is interesting Adam, thanks for the tip. Are they from the same time frame? I believe sometime in the last few years Golite changed the fabric in some of their shelters.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 13:21:55 MDT Print View

Just wondering: is there any data that says bears are attracted to yellow tents more than green ones, or are you just speculating? Since bears have far better senses of smell than eyesight, it seems like they would smell you long before they saw a tent anyway. Just looked up on google; one site said that bears' sight is about equal to that of humans, but sense of smell is 100,000 greater.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
green vs. yellow on 05/09/2013 13:24:52 MDT Print View

the newer green fabric is less durable and stretchy than the original yellow fabric. i dont know if they even offered the old fabric in green. i wanted one in green also, and when i got it, i realized that the yellow fabric was much more to my liking. also, i like how the yellow fabric lights up in the sunlight when you are inside. much brighter than the green.

Edited by rbeard on 05/09/2013 13:25:32 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 13:36:31 MDT Print View

I'm basing my theory on reports that bears have shown an interest in bright objects in tests. According to rangers in Alaska switching to camo tents result in far fewer bear encounters.

Edit - If all goes well I'll be doing some hiking in serious grizzly country, most likely solo. Under those circumstances I prefer to camp in the open so I have the peace of mind of seeing whats around me. On the other hand a bright tent will stick out like a sore thumb. What I may do is just hold off on pitching the tent until dark.

Edited by Cameron on 05/09/2013 13:45:14 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re Re Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 23:41:14 MDT Print View

I can certainly understand wanting to do whatever might minimize chances of a grizzly bear encounter! Hadn't heard of the camo tent thing resulting in fewer encounters, but Alaskan rangers are probably a good authority.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Re Re Changed to WTT on 05/09/2013 23:56:00 MDT Print View

There are articles you can google about the tents and other test with bears reacting to colored panels etc.

I was planning on carrying my normal tarp and bivy until I realized that being zipped up inside a bivy is a bad place to be if a bear shows up. If I take my SL-1 I'll sew a skirt of bug net onto the bottom to make it a floorless shelter. That will save weight over the bug nest and I can roll out from under it fast if I need too.

The other idea is to remake my old bivy with Velcro instead of a zipper.