Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Reflectix as a pack frame?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Reflectix as a pack frame? on 05/06/2013 11:16:23 MDT Print View

This may be another one of my hairbrained ideas, but I was thinking this morning: how practical would it be to create a UL pack frame out of Reflectix? It could be folded into a frame sheet that's decent thickness, would be relatively stable, and quite light.

Have any of you tried this? If so, how did it work?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Reflectix as a pack frame? on 05/06/2013 12:36:42 MDT Print View

It is way less stiff than a foam sleeping mat. I don't think it would work nearly as well well.

I carried some inside my pack- about 4 thicknesses folded up- and it didn't seem like it would stiffen the pack- though it would pad your back.

I'm thinking of using Reflectix for the bottom of a winter bivy. It is waterproof, puncture resistant, won't stick to snow, and provides some insulation to supplement my pad. I want the full width of the bivy bottom insulated so my gear isn't so cold.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Reflectix as a pack frame? on 05/06/2013 12:57:11 MDT Print View

You might get away with glueing some plastic strips to it, like battens in a sail. A folded CCF or self-inflating pad would do as well, so there's no gain for the trouble IMHO. Points for outside the box.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

CCF, then. on 05/06/2013 13:25:56 MDT Print View

Well, I had to ask... thanks for the confab!

Daniel Saunders
(Boulderman)

Locale: Front Range
Successful use in REI Flash 18 on 05/06/2013 16:52:19 MDT Print View

I currently use a double-layer reflectix frame in my REI Flash 18 pack. The two layers are taped together on 3 sides, with the top open. I was looking for something to insulate a camelbak-type bladder and not allow condensation to soak my back or gear inside the pack. I use it with and without a bladder. It is actually quite stiff due to the use of double taped layers. I'm happy with it!

reflectix frame

pocket open

rigid

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Re: Successful use in REI Flash 18 on 05/06/2013 19:32:40 MDT Print View

That's what I was thinking about, Daniel-- with the main difference being I've a GoLite Pinnacle.