Joshua Tree Two-day Loop
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 21:25:41 MDT Print View

BPL member Chad Eagle and I did a two day loop in Joshua Tree. It was hot, we found water, and we lived to tell about it.

Trip Report Here

Anyway... we had a great time. And now I'm off to the Nevada desert for week for more of this :)

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 21:45:06 MDT Print View

A nice adventure! I enjoyed both the trip report and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 21:50:03 MDT Print View

Good stuff Nick! Thanks for sharing.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 21:54:02 MDT Print View

Nice TR!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 21:58:40 MDT Print View

Nice! I haven't been in that area for many years, very beautiful. I've been doing some desert hiking in Oregon in recent years but California is a lot drier. What would have happened if there had been no water?

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
TR on 05/05/2013 21:59:51 MDT Print View

Excellent. Thanks for the photos and the tales.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Jtree on 05/05/2013 21:59:56 MDT Print View

Excellent. I'm impressed with your knowledge of our SoCal deserts, Nick.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 22:03:31 MDT Print View

You both had a nice little scramble out there Nick.

The ocotillo in J-Tree resemble ours in NM. We're waiting for first rain of the year to finally bring out the leaves from their slumber. We haven't received as much as a sprinkling in months.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/05/2013 22:15:27 MDT Print View

Nick,
Again, you take us down that primrose path to the Rock Candy Mountain.

Thanks,
Tom

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Joshua Tree Two-day Loop (added a couple pictures) on 05/05/2013 23:00:49 MDT Print View

Added a couple pictures I left out as I am in a hurry to pack and leave for another trip.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Jerry,

"What would have happened if there had been no water?" BIG problem! Whenever hiking in deserts one needs to verify water sources. That mean a first hand report from someone you trust 100%, or going out ahead of time and personally verifying it. Otherwise, carry all the water you will need in case there isn't water.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop (added a couple pictures) on 05/05/2013 23:40:26 MDT Print View

Nick,

Excellent report and photos. It must have been HOT out there. I was in (relatively) nearby Whitewater preserve, and it was plenty hot there. Glad you found water. I've got a couple of spots I want to check out out there re water.

Take care,

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop (added a couple pictures) on 05/06/2013 08:24:51 MDT Print View

Cool guys. I'd love to get out with both of you again soon.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Joshua Tree Two-day Loop on 05/06/2013 08:58:08 MDT Print View

What an excellent little adventure. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I enjoyed the words and pictures.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
JOTR two-day loop on 05/07/2013 10:30:12 MDT Print View

Nick,

Excellent trip. I'm sure I've actually been there earlier this year, at least your exit canyon. I recognize the palms and that dense patch of O. bigelovii (definitely a place to watch your step!). I recall thinking that continuing further upcanyon past the palms would be a serious boulder-fest. Great cross-country trip!

palms

cholla

Edited by DaveT on 05/07/2013 10:52:41 MDT.