Forum Index » GEAR » Sun Protection for Legs?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sun Protection for Legs? on 05/05/2013 16:42:31 MDT Print View

I'm making this the Summer of Cancer Prevention.

I'm gonna be wearing an OR Sun Runner cap, long sleeves, and some sun gloves in place of sunscreen. Can I wear regular running shorts while hiking, or do I really need long pants to ensure I won't burn?

Experiences?

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Sun Protection for Legs? on 05/05/2013 16:59:14 MDT Print View

For short hikes shorts are fine (time is dependent on altitude, tree cover, and how quickly you burn) for longer hikes you need long pants.

I use convertible pants. If it gets hot I zip off the legs. Unfortunately I burn very easily so later in the day start to burn.

Edited by Surf on 05/05/2013 17:00:52 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Sun Protection for Legs? on 05/05/2013 17:15:42 MDT Print View

If you are already going to be wearing sun gloves, then it would make sense to wear pants.

I think that sun gloves are excessive and unnecessary unless it's 120 degrees and you are hiking in the Sahara.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Sun Protection for Legs? on 05/05/2013 17:27:04 MDT Print View

Years ago, I used to backpack while wearing shorts. But then I needed something for sun protection, mosquito protection, and maybe for a slight bit of warmth underneath rain pants.

I used some ultra-thin men's pajama bottoms that were made out of cotton thinner than a handkerchief.

--B.G.--

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
scrub pants on 05/05/2013 18:36:01 MDT Print View

to add on to what Bob said, scrub pants (medical uniform) are super light, thin, dry fast, and cheap.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Pants on 05/05/2013 19:04:42 MDT Print View

I throw on pants and call it good. I hate wearing sunscreen and always forget to reapply.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Best sunblock on 05/05/2013 19:42:25 MDT Print View

For years I've been using Neutrogena sunblock.

Last year Consumer reports tested sunblocks and rated Neutrogena #1 for UV A and UV B protection.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
pants on 05/06/2013 00:44:45 MDT Print View

Although I don't worry about burning, I wear lightweight Craghoppers NosiLife Lite trousers when hiking. They keep me cleaner and protect me from brush. I also like the Columbia Tamiami long sleeve fishing shirts for sun protection. They work for me out here in the west but don't think I'd be as comfortable in a humid climate.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Pants; Eric check out EWG's website for better sunblocks than Neutrogena on 05/06/2013 23:53:27 MDT Print View

Pants. I simply don't hike in shorts. Hate having to apply sunblock to such a large area.

Eric Neutrogena has some nasty stuff in it - check for the best rated sunblocks on EWG's website which have the least nasty additives. I'll check the one my wife and I use when I get a chance.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Cuben Fiber - what's not to like on 05/07/2013 07:09:51 MDT Print View

Pants designed for sun like the RailRyder Ecomesh and other brands.

I have come to the point that I wear sun pants all the time for sun and bug protection.
The Ecomesh are also lighter than most convertible hiking pants, but I bet less durable.

I disturbed a hornets nest last year, the one time that I wore shorts. They only stung my exposed legs.