Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back on 05/05/2013 14:15:03 MDT Print View

Planning a trip for Mid August. I would like to start at North Lake, MAYBE, yes MAYBE spend a day at Humpfrey's Basin, down to Evolution and up Darwin Bench, Canyon, over Lamarck Col. and back. So far I have myself and Jack Elliot. Maybe add 5 more to the trip? I would like to keep the miles to around 10'ish a day. Let me know.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back on 05/05/2013 22:36:41 MDT Print View

I've got the 13 to the 31 booked. Looks like a conflict.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back on 05/06/2013 09:01:59 MDT Print View

I'm busy in August but have a vacation the first of the month, not sure what I'm gonna do, but have a guys fishing trip mid month in Little Lakes Vly so I only want to go that way once.
Duane

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back on 05/12/2013 11:38:41 MDT Print View

bump

Benjamin Ingalls
(bingalls1987)

Locale: Southern California
Interested on 05/15/2013 11:12:59 MDT Print View

I rarely plan that ahead of time but yeah that sounds like an awesome trip. I'm a bit of a newbie ultra lighter but I'm geared out fairly well and have been backpacking every weekend this year'

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Interested on 05/15/2013 12:39:50 MDT Print View

Ben, you are more than welcome to join. Especially newbies! Keep an eye on the thread till we get closer then things will be discussed

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back on 05/15/2013 17:22:18 MDT Print View

I've been eyeing a trip through this area for a while. I'm interested in coming but will have to see how the dates work out before committing.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And on 05/15/2013 20:31:12 MDT Print View

Ken,

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but what if we did North Lake all the way around to South Lake for an exit.

Jack

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And on 05/15/2013 22:39:35 MDT Print View

Ken, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

If you go all the way from North Lake to South Lake, it is completely a trail hike and you don't get much above 12,000 feet. You have to arrange a car shuttle from end to end, but it isn't very many miles, and with multiple hikers it should not be difficult. Quite a few backpackers use this route.

If you go from North Lake, over Lamarck Col, and back to North Lake, obviously there is no car shuttle. Lamarck Col is about 13,000 feet and is somewhat steep and off-trail, so it is a bit more challenging, even if the total distance is less. The view from Lamarck Col is better, but everybody may be so winded that they can't appreciate it.

Either way, it could be a good trip.

--B.G.--

James Block
(jsblock11) - F

Locale: Southern California
Dates on 07/25/2013 10:47:02 MDT Print View

Hello Ken, I did the on-trail North Lake to South Lake Loop last year and loved the area. I'd be interested in joining on this route depending on your timeframe, do you have any firm dates yet?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Dates on 07/25/2013 12:43:41 MDT Print View

James, I am out for the count this summer due to health reasons. I am planning on doing this next summer if you're interested. The cross country portion is quite pretty by the way.