Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Outlier Pants?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 15:02:02 MDT Print View

Has anyone used them? Yes, they are expensive. I'm thinking about getting a pair of climbers or slim dungarees as hybrid hiking/urban pants. They are the only nylon pants I have found that actually look nice and would fit my body type well.

How durable are they? I wouldn't want to buy them unless they were well made and pretty bombproof. I don't mind the investment but they would need to last longer than most other hiking pants in rough use to justify the cost.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 15:21:18 MDT Print View

I don't believe there are any BPL members from Bushwick who can comment on Outlier pants.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 15:29:12 MDT Print View

What's a Bushwick?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 15:47:07 MDT Print View

Hipsterville.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 16:43:42 MDT Print View

Scratch that. Pricing on Outlier pants have gone up into the stratosphere, Williamsburg is a safe bet.

Only ribbing you Justin.

I have no idea if they're any good, but on paper they look like they fit the bill.

Eddie Bauer "Uprising" jeans.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 17:27:07 MDT Print View

Lulz...the entire homepage has a bunch of images "removed at legal request"

I wanted to see just how "hipster" they were based on Eugene's allegations. Well they were formed in Brooklyn when a barista introduced Abe and Tyler to each other who were working on perfecting commuter biking clothes... The company's logo and name (black swan and outlier respectively) are also taken directly from Taleb and Gladwell books (authors focused on topics of exception, the rare and unique, just like every Hipster views themselves).

Wow...the clothes actually looks legit on paper but not worth the price. And I have moral issues supporting multilayered irony or allusion thats so obvious you don't even need the "ous."

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 17:39:40 MDT Print View

Yeah, the website reeks of hipsterness. I just like the fit of the pants. But I have a hard time trusting a fashion company to make something that will last.

Grzegorz Przeorski
(grzechu) - MLife

Locale: Ontario
Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/04/2013 18:07:57 MDT Print View

They are expensive because they are made in America of Swiss woven fabric. I have Woolbacks OG and some others that I don't remember the name. Both made of Schoeller with Nano treatment. Very well made and very stretchy and so far extremely durable. (The Climbers were too slim for me). I'm almost sixty and more of the redneck than hipster. Also I rather support local guy than 83 billionaires in Central Committee of Chinese Communist Party.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Outlier Pants? on 05/09/2013 23:38:23 MDT Print View

I think I will try out the nyco slims as dry weather pants. They are polycotton and made from the same stuff as the m-65 military jackets. Should be very durable if made well. And they are only $98 which isn't bad at all, if they turn out to be durable.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hipsters on 05/10/2013 13:38:48 MDT Print View

My son-in-law in LA owns a post production studio (Cinelicious) and he is THE "metrosexual" hipster if I ever saw one - skinny jeans, 2 day beard and all.

I'll send him the link to Outlier. He would get it.